Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Just because he focused more in a certain area doesn't mean he won't be capable focusing on others. That will obviously be what the interview is about. As mentioned many places, he's been thought of as one of the GM's in waiting around the league, for better or worse. I'm interested to hear if you have any possible fits in mind. If you don't, no big deal, it's hard for all of us to know other than look at AGM's and former GM's. Just wondering if you have some guys in mind.

Just based on what Dundon seemed to want, I was thinking he'd be looking more into former GMs rather than up-and-coming guys with no experience. It sounds to me like he wants a manager to best execute organizational decisions. I can't think of a guy more qualified than Dean Lombardi to do that. I would have thought McPhee if Vegas didn't get him. I'd love Dale Tallon, but it won't happen.

I think just like dumpster-diving and elevating guys hasn't worked for our goaltending, it's not a great plan for a GM. I'd like to hire a "name" here with experience around the league. I don't see any reason to hire and up-and-comer and give him his big shot when the plan is to compartmentalize the job.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Just based on what Dundon seemed to want, I was thinking he'd be looking more into former GMs rather than up-and-coming guys with no experience. It sounds to me like he wants a manager to best execute organizational decisions. I can't think of a guy more qualified than Dean Lombardi to do that. I would have thought McPhee if Vegas didn't get him. I'd love Dale Tallon, but it won't happen.

I think just like dumpster-diving and elevating guys hasn't worked for our goaltending, it's not a great plan for a GM. I'd like to hire a "name" here with experience around the league. I don't see any reason to hire and up-and-comer and give him his big shot when the plan is to compartmentalize the job.
Too be fair management and goaltending are two different things. It's not like a GM is going poop his pants while on the phone with another team and give them our next 5 1st round picks. But I think teams deal with AGMs enough that they're almost as much known things as guys in the GM scrap pile.

Really what Dundon wants is someone to work within his system. I think it's easier to get a newer guy to conform than an old boy like Lombardi who's used to running the thing himself.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Too be fair management and goaltending are two different things. It's not like a GM is going poop his pants while on the phone with another team and give them our next 5 1st round picks. But I think teams deal with AGMs enough that they're almost as much known things as guys in the GM scrap pile.

Really what Dundon wants is someone to work within his system. I think it's easier to get a newer guy to conform than an old boy like Lombardi who's used to running the thing himself.

That's a valid point. Experience counts for a lot. But it could be a detriment when Dundon is trying to turn the way things traditionally work on its head a bit perhaps. All of the candidates will likely have preconceived notions of what it's like to be a GM from their current experiences, but maybe not having actually been the big boss, they'll be more open to different concepts.

And while I have no problem with choosing a "name" guy like you suggest kev, it's not like those guys weren't dumpster dives and nobodies at some point either early in their careers.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He’s been out of the league for a few years, but what about Darcy Regier? He first had to manage an internal budget under Golisano (with some pretty good success) and then had to work under a meddling owner in Pegula.

Wonder if he wants back in the league.
Question is what his style would be like. I wouldn't hate the idea, but also considering how badly he f***ed up the Drury and Briere situations I don't exactly like it either.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Question is what his style would be like. I wouldn't hate the idea, but also considering how badly he ****ed up the Drury and Briere situations I don't exactly like it either.
That was all budget driven tho. Kind of a no-win situation.

He’s a really smart, analytical guy who (as far as I know) has good relationships across the league. I think it’d be a plus to have worked for a very hands-on owner (although there should be a more derogatory term for what Pegula is like).

I guess he hasn’t been out of the league for very long, was asst GM in AZ under Maloney.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yeah, his dad came in here salty about how he wasn't getting a fair shot in the organization. Legendary HFCanes moment.

Wait what? When was this and why wasn't I around for it?

I remember Levi, he was part of that 2010 draft that included Skinner/Faulk and also Alt/Shugg and trades for Nash and Sanguinetti. The later made a great AHL squad.

Oh yeah and there was some goaltender we took too but he didn't play here, probably because he was a 7th rounder :sarcasm:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He’s been out of the league for a few years, but what about Darcy Regier? He first had to manage an internal budget under Golisano (with some pretty good success) and then had to work under a meddling owner in Pegula.

I remember Buffalo fans didn't like him for some reason. Lets also not forgot JR duped him into taking Jamie McBain off our hands for a good year and half of Sekera.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

I almost put Regier on my list of experienced guys but feared he'd be too much of a retread. I like Lombardi because it's clear he trusted his assistants and scouts and just ran things at the top level, like Dundon wants. I don't mind if we hire a new guy, I'd just like to have good relationships in place on Day 1.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
This Fupa dude reminds me of us going with a back up goalie who is ready to be a starter. I don't know about going with a guy who has never been a true NHL GM. We already struck out once doing that whole shake and bake.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
This Fupa dude reminds me of us going with a back up goalie who is ready to be a starter. I don't know about going with a guy who has never been a true NHL GM.
Different job, different situation. If their is a person out there that has been a GM before, he must have done something to get fired or he retired. Assistant still does a lot of grunt work and says a lot in the decisions made. I'll take someone apart of a winning franchise any day.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Different job, different situation. If their is a person out there that has been a GM before, he must have done something to get fired or he retired. Assistant still does a lot of grunt work and says a lot in the decisions made. I'll take someone apart of a winning franchise any day.

That also doesn't work. Bill Peters.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
That’s what Buffalo fans said about Tim Murray. The reality is, when trying to assess an asst GM’s body of work, you’re never going to know the whole story. Did Murray draft Karlsson (no)? Did he sign Greening, Cowan, and Wiercioch (yes)?

Doubt those questions were answered honestly during his interview.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
That’s what Buffalo fans said about Tim Murray. The reality is, when trying to assess an asst GM’s body of work, you’re never going to know the whole story. Did Murray draft Karlsson (no)? Did he sign Greening, Cowan, and Wiercioch (yes)?

Doubt those questions were answered honestly during his interview.
Buffalo had their mind set on competing once drafting eichel and sold the farm. They ditched out their gm that completed their rebuild and then hired to a GM to accelerate it and it blew up in their face. I'm hoping we don't do the same.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Wait, he's for real? I always thought that was just somebody clowning around after the Austin Levi thing.

If it was somebody clowning around, I'd expect a week's worth of silly comments at once and then the poster to disappear after the joke got old, rather than occasional comments over the course of months with nothing remotely controversial. I just take it as an older person who didn't realize you don't generally use your real name when registering for sites like this. Even NHLers themselves have been known to actively post on HF, they generally post anonymously like the rest of us. There's a photo out there of Dubinsky on the site from a hotel room on the road, for instance. I belive there was even an attempt to determine exactly what thread he was reading at the time, and there were pretty strong rumors of a GM using the trade forum to gauge fan views of players he was thinking of trading for a little while back. If you want to go on the web and talk hockey, HF is pretty much the primary place to do it. It's the biggest hockey forum out there, and despite all the jokes about crazy posters on the trade forum, there are a lot of incredibly knowledgeable people on this site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad