"Franchise" Picks of '15 and '16 Ranking

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Originally Posted by Bastulon
Better line mates, huh. I've seen leafs fans(not saying you are one, but generally where I see it come from) try to use this a lot, it's wrong. I'll take Marner or Nylander 10/10 times over Lucic and Eberle. It's not even close, Connor has actually been saddled with them not "way better line mates lifting him up" add in the fact it's ONLY been his line most of the year since Draisaitl got a ton of PP points when playing 3C until mid-dec and RNH doesn't hockey anymore and the "Connor has more points because his wingers are so much better than ours" is out the window. Lucic had 2 ES points since Dec 3, Eberle has something like 3 goals in his last 30.

I understand the complaint, but Matthews has played maybe 2 total minutes with Marner all year and hasn't actually played with Nylander in the last 20 games. His current most common linemates are Brown & Hymen.

Lucic and Eberle don't play with McDavid, it's Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl. Which is probably the best line in the league since they've been together.

Seems that Bastulon poster doesn't know anything about either one of them.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
I see, yeah it's too bad McDavid just has more luck. Hopefully he improves his passes to the slot and loose puck retrieval numbers as well.

If McDavid wasn't who he was he wouldn't have the stats he does? Those pesky secondary assists screwing it all up.

So you got touchy and missed the whole point. Nice.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I rank them like this.....

1. McDavid (he really is amazing)
2. Matthews (Elite, all around player)
3. Laine (elite scorer)
4. Eichel (flashes of brilliance...need more time to judge)

I'd say this is true for now. All four are going to be amazing though.

This generation the battle for best player in the world was pretty much always just between Crosby and Ovechkin. There's probably going to be more people vying for that in the next generation. Unless McDavid takes off completely.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I told people at the time -- Marner will be as good as Eichel. And, at .86 ppg in his rookie season, he's outperforming Eichel this season (0.74), let alone his rookie season (0.69). Buffalo tanking like a ***** only to get robbed of McDavid is as good and just as Ottawa tanking to get Alexander Daigle.

Toronto didn't tank (remember: they loaded up on vets, and even some decent ones), had vastly improved possession, but awful puck luck, and won the lottery this past year. There is a hockey god.

McDavid is something else. Laine is not nearly as good as his stat line indicates. His shooting %, as good as he may be, is not sustainable. Sorry. Eichel is the worst regular forward defensively in the NHL.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I told people at the time -- Marner will be as good as Eichel. And, at .86 ppg in his rookie season, he's outperforming Eichel this season (0.74), let alone his rookie season (0.69). Buffalo tanking like a ***** only to get robbed of McDavid is as good and just as Ottawa tanking to get Alexander Daigle.

Toronto didn't tank (remember: they loaded up on vets, and even some decent ones), had vastly improved possession, but awful puck luck, and won the lottery this past year. There is a hockey god.

McDavid is something else. Laine is not nearly as good as his stat line indicates. His shooting %, as good as he may be, is not sustainable. Sorry. Eichel is the worst regular forward defensively in the NHL.

We did tank, we traded our core and filled the roster with outcasts as stop gaps hoping they would prove enough value to be traded for picks at the deadline. It made us a worse team for better lottery chances, and drastically increased the amount number of draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad