"Franchise" Picks of '15 and '16 Ranking

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Rank the top 2 picks of the 2015 and 2016 draft; McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine.

To me, McDavid is as advertised so far, however his scoring ability and shot is surprising low, relative to his other skils. As well, it seems the league has amanaged a game plan because he isnt getting as many breakaway or wide drive opportunities as he was at the beginning of the season.

Eichel has been dissapointing. He was billed as a franchise player just a small step below McDavid at the 2015 draft but isnt panning out that way and his phenomenal skating ability hasn't translated to many speed plays at the NHL level.

Matthews has been everything he's been said of and more. He was always known to become a Bergeron-esque or Kopitar-esque two-way centre that will win you games although he may not get many style points. But boy has that label been shed. Who knew he had this kind of finishing ability?

Laine has come out of nowhere to become the player Ovi will hand off the torch to in a couple of years as the game's greatest goal scorer (if he stays on track). His scoring ability from far out and his lethal accuracy has him seen as a true home run hitter with quite possibly the best wrist shot in the league.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Rank the top 2 picks of the 2015 and 2016 draft; McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine.

To me, McDavid is as advertised so far, however his scoring ability and shot is surprising low, relative to his other skils. As well, it seems the league has amanaged a game plan because he isnt getting as many breakaway or wide drive opportunities as he was at the beginning of the season.

Eichel has been dissapointing. He was billed as a franchise player just a small step below McDavid at the 2015 draft but isnt panning out that way and his phenomenal skating ability hasn't translated to many speed plays at the NHL level.

Matthews has been everything he's been said of and more. He was always known to become a Bergeron-esque or Kopitar-esque two-way centre that will win you games although he may not get many style points. But boy has that label been shed. Who knew he had this kind of finishing ability?

Laine has come out of nowhere to become the player Ovi will hand off the torch to in a couple of years as the game's greatest goal scorer (if he stays on track). His scoring ability from far out and his lethal accuracy has him seen as a true home run hitter with quite possibly the best wrist shot in the league.

Laine didnt come out of nowhere. Many saw him as the next Ovechkin (he hasnt proven he is yet but damn has he looked good before the injury)

This needs more time. For now McDavid is in his own tier above the other 3 who you could rank in any order right now

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Laine didnt come out of nowhere. Many saw him as the next Ovechkin (he hasnt proven he is yet but damn has he looked good before the injury)

This needs more time. For now McDavid is in his own tier above the other 3 who you could rank in any order right now

Let me explain, by out of nowhere i mean nobody knew about him before the world juniors

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I rank them like this.....

1. McDavid (he really is amazing)
2. Matthews (Elite, all around player)
3. Laine (elite scorer)
4. Eichel (flashes of brilliance...need more time to judge)

Mitts Marner*

I think this thread would serve better to rate the 1st two picks, instead of rank.

We've argued that topic to death a million times, but not very often do people actually give their honest opinions of all 4 of these guys in one place, without trying to put anyone else down.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Marner is ever bit a franchise player if Eichel and Laine qualify. We got lucky he dropped to 4th.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Because if Marner made it then people like Werenski and Provorov have to be mentioned. I'd take Werenski 10 times to Sunday over Marner.

Mathews
McDavid
Eichel
Laine

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
:laugh: at any list that doesn't have McDavid 1st
Not a Leaf or Oiler fan but I love what Mathews brings especially his goal scoring. The only thing I like more from McDavid is speed and maybe his passing... but if he passed like mcdavid he would shoot less like Matthews so is probably just say McDavid and his speed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Let me explain, by out of nowhere i mean nobody knew about him before the world juniors
He dominated the U-18's prior to his draft year and entered the year #4 on McKenzie's list. He had a rapid rise to move up to 2 and supposedly be Matthews's challenger but anyone paying attention to the draft was aware of him even in his draft -1.

As for ranking them? The first 2 are easy for me being McDavid then Matthews. I think I'll still stick with Eichel at 3, but Laine is mounting a serious challenge. Some of Eichel's flaws concern me (lack of growth in his 2-way game and occasional lack of effort), but you still have to go with the franchise center when you get the chance. That, combined with the belief that Laine's numbers are due for a regression make me lean towards Eichel.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Second franchise pick in 2015 is Marner not Eichel.

McDavid Matthews Marner Laine

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Not a Leaf or Oiler fan but I love what Mathews brings especially his goal scoring. The only thing I like more from McDavid is speed and maybe his passing... but if he passed like mcdavid he would shoot less like Matthews so is probably just say McDavid and his speed.

McDavid is a better skater, passer and possesses a more elite hockey IQ (not a shot at Matthews, but a compliment to how amazing Connor is).

The best part is I remember when people said Crosby would never be a good goal scorer. Then he worked on it over an off-season and scored 50 goals. It took Sid 5 seasons to even break the 40 goal barrier but Generational players find a way.

It won't be long before McDavid is as good, or better at scoring goals than Matthews too.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
McDavid is a better skater, passer and possesses a more elite hockey IQ (not a shot at Matthews, but a compliment to how amazing Connor is).

The best part is I remember when people said Crosby would never be a good goal scorer. Then he worked on it over an off-season and scored 50 goals. It took Sid 5 seasons to even break the 40 goal barrier but Generational players find a way.

It won't be long before McDavid is as good, or better at scoring goals than Matthews too.

Yes only one of them will continue to get better not both lol.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Not hating on Marner but how is he better than Laine? Laine had more goals and points than Matthews and Marner before his injury and is younger than both Marner and Matthews.

And then you look at Laine physically and you know he's going to get better as he gets older. He's skinny as a rail. He's what 6'4"?. And his skating isn't even top notch yet. His potential is scary good.

For me for ranking it's:

McDavid
Matthews/Laine
Eichel

But Eichel is getting underrated right. Ownon HF and has every bit the potential AM and Laine have

Reactions: Shaibu

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not hating on Marner but how is he better than Laine? Laine had more goals and points than Matthews and Marner before his injury and is younger than both Marner and Matthews.

And then you look at Laine physically and you know he's going to get better as he gets older. He's skinny as a rail. He's the biggest one out of all of them. And his skatinging isn't even top notch yet. His potential is scary good.
Matthews had a better gpg and ppg when Laine went down. It is not Matthews fault the league created such an unbalanced schedule. As of today, Laine has still played 2 more games than Matthews and Marner despite neither of those 2 missing a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad