Franchise Building Block: Mitch Marner vs Miro Heiskanen

Who would you rather have to start your franchise: Mitch Marner? Or Miro Heiskanen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Always go D, but I think Marner is the better player.

The issue is Marner ain't going to do shit without a quality C.
Honest question. Since Marner played his rookie year with Tyler Bozak as his Centre and in his second year he was switched onto a line where Nazem Kadri was his Centre, do you think without him playing on John Tavares line in his third year he doesn't come close to 94 points in the 2018-19 Season? Plus it wasn't until Sheldon Keefe arrived that he finally put Marner on a 5v5 line with Auston Matthews.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Honest question. Since Marner played his rookie year with Tyler Bozak as his Centre and in his second year he was switched onto a line where Nazem Kadri was his Centre, do you think without him playing on John Tavares line in his third year he doesn't come close to 94 points in the 2018-19 Season? Plus it wasn't until Sheldon Keefe arrived that he finally put Marner on a 5v5 line with Auston Matthews.

Producing in the regular season vs. building a contender is where I'm coming from.

You don't win championships on the wing.

As a Leafs fan you should know that all too well given what happened with Kessel.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Producing in the regular season vs. building a contender is where I'm coming from.

You don't win championships on the wing.

As a Leafs fan you should know that all too well given what happened with Kessel.
Unlike with the Phil Kessel years we know Marner is not the face of the franchise. Plus the Leafs also have Matthews and Tavares, where as Kessel never had that elite #1 Centre in Toronto until he got traded to Pittsburgh.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Marner is a very good winger but I would likely choose Heiskanen.

I don't think I would want to start a franchise with Marner. You're left looking for a #1 C, #1D, and a goalie if the goal is to win the cup.

Better to get the young #1 D in Heiskanen.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Unlike with the Phil Kessel years we know Marner is not the face of the franchise. Plus the Leafs also have Matthews and Tavares, where as Kessel never had that elite #1 Centre in Toronto until he got traded to Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with the topic of this poll which is what would you build your franchise around.

But, I mean, way to be a Leafs fan and think I'm criticizing the Leafs here after I've defended Marner as a top five winger in the league multiple times in this very forum.

Reactions: dukeofjive

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure what any of that has to do with the topic of this poll which is what would you build your franchise around.

But, I mean, way to be a Leafs fan and think I'm criticizing the Leafs here after I've defended Marner as a top five winger in the league multiple times in this very forum.
I was actually agreeing with you that you don't build your team starting with a winger and I know that from Kessel's time in Toronto.

I also said the difference with Marner is that he's got Auston Matthews and John Tavares who are both elite #1 Centres and that's something Kessel never had when he played in Toronto.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Miro pretty easily. Marner is a good player but D > W, and Miro is easily one of the best, and most valuable in the league. And this is without factoring in contracts

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I refuse to choose.

These are literally my two favorite active players.

Why did you do this to me OP? :(

Reactions: dukeofjive

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Marner has the potential to be the best winger of his generation but you could also make the argument about Miro being the best D-man of his generation. 1D > 1W sorry Mitchy.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I was actually agreeing with you that you don't build your team starting with a winger and I know that from Kessel's time in Toronto.

I also said the difference with Marner is that he's got Auston Matthews and John Tavares who are both elite #1 Centres and that's something Kessel never had when he played in Toronto.
So why are you choosing the winger in this poll if you agree it’s not the best way to build a team?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
There not at the same level but in 2015 when Toronto drafted Marner they also had a chance to select Hanifin or Provorov 4th overall and Defense was a need for the Maple Leafs at that time. However they still went with Marner because he was the best player available and maybe Mark Hunter's connection with the London Knights was also a deciding factor.

You realise that player valuations are allowed to change after draft day right?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Marner is great but this is Miro for me due to position. Stud #1 dman is far more important than a #1 winger.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A young #1 Defenceman like Heiskanen is one of the absolute best building blocks you can get. The only thing that really wins out over that for me, is that real "Franchise Center". Marner is very good, no doubt...it's just so much harder to build a perennial contender around a winger. And we're talking "franchise building blocks" here. Strength down the middle and a good blueline is the way you build a stable competitor.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Close but Marner for me. 94 points two years ago. On pace for 93 last year. 20 in 12 this year, on pace for 130+ in a full season. Kid is 23 years old and is in extremely rare company.

Need to see Heiskanen perform at an elite level for another year or two to take him confidently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad