Prospect Info: Frédéric Brunet, 132nd overall, Rimouski Océanic (QMJHL)

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
can I ask if you have had the chance to watch him play? If so, your thoughts on his game, what he needs to work on etc...please and thanks
I didn't know he existed until the Bruins drafted him. Seen the size of the paws on the kid, like his smile, heard his father was a figure skater... decided, he's My Guy now. Freddy B. is the man for me.

Reactions: ODAAT

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Brunet is a great pick up by the Bruins and exposes a flaw in a lot of scouting lists. When a player is a year older teams have a tendency to overthink it and only draft a kid like that in the sixth or seventh round. Boston taking him early fifth would be considered a reach because of his age and nothing else. If he ends up a star it might make scouts change their methods of being so against drafting a kid who just needed an extra year to figure it out. The skill is what you scout not the age.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Since 1972, 50 players were selected 132nd overall – including Brunet. Five were goaltenders, 19 were defencemen. Of the 44 skaters selected, only 8 went on to play 100 or more NHL games and just three of them, Ron Wilson (1975) 177 games; Kyle Quincy (2003) 586 games; and Tim Heed (2010) 105 games – were defencemen. Just 9 more played in 1-99 games. The remaining 27 didn’t appear in any NHL games.

While I won’t give you an NHL comparable – that’s unfair right? – I will look at players that have played at this level and have some similarities. Those similarities may be everything from size, production, draft position and league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad