U20: Four Nations Tournament in Ängelholm, Sweden(12-14 november)

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
This generation of Russian kids have been destroying Swedes and Finns since the Youth Olympics. Every U16-U17-U18 tournament since that was a humilation for their European counterparts.

It doesn't mean it's inevitably going to be this way at the coming WJC, but right now it looks like a pretty possible result.

You mean 2002 group? Seems to be decent in terms of depth, but swedish top players from 2002 group are stronger

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You mean 2002 group? Seems to be decent in terms of depth, but swedish top players from 2002 group are stronger

Nah, I mean 2002-04 group, that will play at the WJC.

Btw Russia won the last two WHC-17, last two Hlinka Gretzky and Youth Olympics. Played in the U18 final. It was mostly current/next WJC generation.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Nah, I mean 2002-04 group, that will play at the WJC.

Btw Russia won the last two WHC-17, last two Hlinka Gretzky and Youth Olympics. Played in the U18 final. It was mostly current/next WJC generation.

And you think winning a game by one goal is a humilation? Interesting phrasing.

Anyway, 2004 will not play a big role here. 2002-2003 is not very deep for Sweden, but top players are good, stronger group than russians IMO. In terms of depth, Russia has advantage. And then of course, x-factor, Michkov.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
And you think winning a game by one goal is a humilation? Interesting phrasing.

Anyway, 2004 will not play a big role here. 2002-2003 is not very deep for Sweden, but top players are good, stronger group than russians IMO. In terms of depth, Russia has advantage. And then of course, x-factor, Michkov.

Last time we played Sweden at one of those tournaments, we beat them by 2 (7-5 at Hlinka) while outshooting them 48-26. But I don't mean any certain tournament or games, rather overall results.

As to the WJC, I don't wanna argue about who's better and who's worse, because it's meaningless anyway. But I'm pretty optimistic about this coming tournament, which I wasn't for pretty long.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This generation of Russian kids have been destroying Swedes and Finns since the Youth Olympics. Every U16-U17-U18 tournament since that was a humilation for their European counterparts.

It doesn't mean it's inevitably going to be this way at the coming WJC, but right now it looks like a pretty possible result.

russia losing gold medal game against sweden in u18 does not count?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
yep but holtz, raymond and nybeck are 2002 born and had key positions.

Well, it all started with the post saying, that Russian kids were behind Finns and Swedes now, so I tried to point out it wasn't true. The tournament that happened 2.5 years ago with kids participating, who mostly aren't juniors anymore hardly counts as now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad