Salary Cap: Four more days of Kessel talk begins ... now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Besides his obvious scoring touch, the best thing about Kessel is actually his contract. It might not feel like it right now but in 2 years $8M will feel like rent control. In the coming years Stamkos, Tavares, Benn will all be making $11M-$12M each. We would have by far the best core and core-per-$.

Very good point. Even when that time hits, the core will be 29/30 years old... not exactly washed up.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
One thing people are ignoring:

Let's say the Leafs keep Kessel. Let's say scoring rebounds, but Kessel, on the bad Leafs, scores 60 again. Does his value drop?

A year older, does his value drop?

Th Leafs lose, despite rebuilding. Does his value, in the ridiculous NHL, drop?

He finally gets hurt. Does his value drop?

There are far more permutations where Kessel's value drops by holding him than scenarios where the Leafs get more value for holding on to him.

He's going to be moved. The Pens are the only team actively trying to get him. Be patient.

Totally agree, and that's why it's important that JR remains patient, I do believe the Leafs will give in and move him.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Really hope the article is right and we're out on Sharp. Mistake we don't have to make.

Also I feel like Skinner would demand Maatta back as well.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Also agreed so much about the contract. If we draft smart (which it looks like we are) we can stock the bottom six with ELCs.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Is it safe to assume Hunter is pushing hard for Maatta and that is what's holding this deal up? Or is it something ridiculous like they want both DP and Maatta?

They want Maatta. It's not for both.

I will say, I don't know if Rossi's rumoured packers is true, but if so, I'm shocked they turned it down. They aren't getting any other offers, and if they **** around too much, they're going to lose their only chance to move him.

I do think there some truth to the "joke" that teams are waiting for JR to go full Despres trade. The key is just to wait it out. I do think Fitzgerald talked some sense into the group.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Im off the Kessel train. Im sure there are other options that hasne even been mentioned in the media.

What if we try to get a young forward who has yet to break out. Worst case is we have a good option for the 3rd line. Best case is that said player breaks out big time and we win the trade by far.

Worst case is the forward busts. If they have yet to break out how do we know they will?

I'm not opposed to the idea, but we need examples if we want to fully evaluate the pros and cons.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I took in this article and http://thehockeywriters.com/updated-status-of-penguins-top-free-agents/

To summarize:
  • Gonchar would like to come back. Says it's his last season and would take $1M.
  • It's pretty much unavoidable for Pouliot to be in play
  • We're out on Sharp and Skinner
  • But we're very much in on Kessel and Oshie
  • Paul Martin would like to stay on a "team friendly" contract
  • Expect Blake Comeau back for 2-3 years @ $1.5M-$2.5M
  • Expect a 3-4 year contract to Ian Cole for $2M-3.5M
  • Outside possiblity of a return by Winnik and Downie
  • Lapierre, Griess, Ehrhoff are all gone

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Any updates Ros... er I mean IC?

I was all geared up for a move yesterday and now im very interested in how this shakes out.

Nothing is going to happen this weekend. Everyone is taking a step back and letting the other side marinate. Shanahan need to move him. The league knows this. JR desperately wants him. Shanahan knows this. At this point, it comes down to Toronto either saying, "we're getting two great assets, an ok asset, and a dump for our best player, let's call it a day" or Pittsburgh saying, "I'm tired of waiting, take what you want."

Or both sides walking away.

Last edited:

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Nothing is going to happen this weekend. Everyone is taking a step back and letting the other side marinade. Shanahan need to move him. The league knows this. JR desperately wants him. Shanahan knows this. At this point, it comes down to Toronto either saying, "we're getting two great assets, an ok asset, and a dump for our best player, let's call it a day" or Pittsburgh saying, "I'm tired of waiting, take what you want."

Or both sides walking away.

So it has to be Pouliot, 1st 2016, Sutter and Scuds....:sarcasm:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So why would we give all that up for Kessel? Last time I checked he was only 1 long term player.....even if he can eat like 2!

Because Kessel is a better player than Saad and is signed long term. Saad may only want a bridge deal at 5 mil then get paid 8 in a few years if he's really as good as people think.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
We have kids to play defense and the bottom 6. Those holes can all be adequately filled from within. But we don't have kids ready to play in the top 6. That is something we actually do need.

I think we are on the same page as far as playing young players. I guess the biggest thing for me is that I want to keep Pouliot and would rather trade Kapanen if we are acquiring Kessel. Pouliot is NHL ready now and has a spot on our team which would have to be replaced now and for the future. Kapanen likely needs a year in WBS and his future is more clouded. Pouliot has more upside IMO and is more valuable to the organization, especially with Letangs health being a concern. I know we need wingers in our system, but I think Kapanen is more expendable than Pouliot. Would rather Kapanen + 1st than Pouliot.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Because Kessel is a better player than Saad and is signed long term. Saad may only want a bridge deal at 5 mil then get paid 8 in a few years if he's really as good as people think.

Still don't see the problem. So if he is that good, we pay him the same as Kessel, and he is younger and doesn't carry Kessel's baggage......don't see the issue if the packages we give up are identical.

penguins2946*

If Pouliot gets moved, I think I'd be okay with keeping Martin on a team-contract contract (which would likely be a long term, back-diving contract). He doesn't seem to play a style that would fall off at an older age, he's a very cerebral player that relies on hockey smarts more than anything else. It would also set up the top-4 nicely with Letang, Maatta, Cole and Martin and it doesn't force Maatta to be playing huge minutes right after he missed a full season. Can we afford both Kessel and Martin at like $4-$5 million?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They want Maatta. It's not for both.

I will say, I don't know if Rossi's rumoured packers is true, but if so, I'm shocked they turned it down. They aren't getting any other offers, and if they **** around too much, they're going to lose their only chance to move him.

I do think there some truth to the "joke" that teams are waiting for JR to go full Despres trade. The key is just to wait it out. I do think Fitzgerald talked some sense into the group.

Ya, I figured with Hunter there he is pushing hard as hell for Maatta.

Even if JR doesn't pull off Kessel, as you said, teams expect him to do something stupid, so if he can hold onto his guns here, it may go a long way in the future.

That meeting after the draft should have been held privately IMHO. Not sure how there is some strategic advantage to show they are at odds over an obvious decision.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think we are on the same page as far as playing young players. I guess the biggest thing for me is that I want to keep Pouliot and would rather trade Kapanen if we are acquiring Kessel. Pouliot is NHL ready now and has a spot on our team which would have to be replaced now and for the future. Kapanen likely needs a year in WBS and his future is more clouded. Pouliot has more upside IMO and is more valuable to the organization, especially with Letangs health being a concern. I know we need wingers in our system, but I think Kapanen is more expendable than Pouliot. Would rather Kapanen + 1st than Pouliot.

I absolutely agree. I'd be willing to move Pouliot, but I'd much rather move Kapanen if its Kessel coming back.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Still don't see the problem. So if he is that good, we pay him the same as Kessel, and he is younger and doesn't carry Kessel's baggage......don't see the issue if the packages we give up are identical.

the package won't be identical, that's the problem. It would cost more assets to get Saad than Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad