Salary Cap: Four more days of Kessel talk begins ... now

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The only evidence I've seen of Kessel being a cancer are a few bristly encounters with the Toronto media (no surprise) and because the Bruins traded him (they're stupid). Ron Wilson had as many good things to say about him as he did bad things.

As far as trading Pouliot vs. Maatta, that's contingent on information I don't have. If Maatta's shoulder is alright and there's a high chance his thyroid issues get sorted out, I'd prefer to move Pouliot, but if Maatta has a small but significant chance of having any long-lingering problems I'd keep DP and move Maatta. The medical staff knows the answers, we don't.

He also literally had cancer

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Moving one of DP or Mattaa will hurt, but you'd still have the other, Dumolin, and Harrington. Not a bad D core to build off of for the future.

This team can't score to save its life in the playoffs. It happened against Boston and two series in a row against the Rangers.

As much as I like Oshie I do see the need to get more elite speed/finishing ability up front and I do think his play is similar in style to Perron.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I also don't understand why everyone feels that Oshie isn't a good enough option for Crosby's wing. Yeah, he doesn't score goals like Kessel, but he can create on his own and open up space for Sid. In reality, isn't that what we really want in a wing? Someone who can take pressure off of Sid and open up space for him? I think an Oshie-Crosby-Hornqvist line would be great, and would cost way less in assets given up! I'm not anti Kessel, but he should come very cheap, and if he doesn't, I would let the Leafs hold onto him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I also don't understand why everyone feels that Oshie isn't a good enough option for Crosby's wing. Yeah, he doesn't score goals like Kessel, but he can create on his own and open up space for Sid. In reality, isn't that what we really want in a wing? Someone who can take pressure off of Sid and open up space for him? I think an Oshie-Crosby-Hornqvist line would be great, and would cost way less in assets given up! I'm not anti Kessel, but he should come very cheap, and if he doesn't, I would let the Leafs hold onto him.

my issue is speed. Oshie, Perron and Hornqvist are all very average skaters.

He's also only a RW, so he'd be with Geno. Not that it changes either of our points, just saying.

I am not saying Oshie wouldn't be good. But I think a lack of speed is worth considering.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I think Oshie would be fantastic.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
So wait a minute...if people have to talk Rutherford out of doing dumb ****, why the hell is he still the GM?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

It's less about Oshie and more about overall speed in the top 6. The league is trending faster and we already have two wingers locked into the top 6 who could be described as average speed, if we're being generous.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like Jiggy's idea of calling Detroit and seeing what they would give up for DP or Mattaa. Maybe Tatar and Pulkinnen or Mantha

I'd really like to think we've called pretty much every team asking who could potentially be available for anything outside of Sid, Geno, Letang and Fleury.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So wait a minute...if people have to talk Rutherford out of doing dumb ****, why the hell is he still the GM?

Experience.

Many of us wanted a GM that wasn't as risk adverse as Shero and we got the ultimate end of the spectrum with JR.

Shero had to have his arm twisted and everything just right before making a deal, while JR seems to wake up in the morning and write his plan on a napkin while eating his waffles.

We have gone from people screaming "do something Shero!" to "don't do it JR!".

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Experience.

Many of us wanted a GM that wasn't as risk adverse as Shero and we got the ultimate end of the spectrum with JR.

Shero had to have his arm twisted and everything just right before making a deal, while JR seems to wake up in the morning and write his plan on a napkin while eating his waffles.

We have gone from people screaming "do something Shero!" to "don't do it JR!".

I'd like a happy medium, please.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'd really like to think we've called pretty much every team asking who could potentially be available for anything outside of Sid, Geno, Letang and Fleury.

Can't assume that with JR. When he locks in on a guy, he tends to have tunnel vision (based on his past history). He has even admitted he will overpay for a guy he really wants.

Last summer after the Neal trade, a few GMS said they wish JR had told him Neal was avaliable, and that he wasn't really shopped around,

penguins2946*

I like Jiggy's idea of calling Detroit and seeing what they would give up for DP or Mattaa. Maybe Tatar and Pulkinnen or Mantha

Or we could just keep both. There's a thought.

Suggesting trading Maatta right now is stupid, period. Regardless of who we're bringing back, it's a terrible idea. Suggesting trading Pouliot for anything other than an established top-6 winger (think Kessel-lite) is stupid. We shouldn't be trading Pouliot for a prospect AHLer that Pouliot out scored last year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Can't assume that with JR. When he locks in on a guy, he tends to have tunnel vision (based on his past history). He has even admitted he will overpay for a guy he really wants.

Last summer after the Neal trade, a few GMS said they wish JR had told him Neal was avaliable, and that he wasn't really shopped around,

good point. But when you have 14 assistant GMs, maybe they are calling people? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad