Weekes: Four Islanders moves coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
HF does a lot of weird things but crapping all over the handful of main insiders as if they know nothing despite them breaking almost everything is definitely one of the weirder ones.

"They aren't insiders they are just fast at breaking news." lol?????
None of these guys are insiders except a couple. Any of the people who said Kadri to the Islanders are confirmed clowns. Brad Treliving said this has been in the works for a couple weeks.

Unless Elliotte Friedman or Bob Mack announce a signing it is simply hearsay.

David Pagnotta and John Shannon are absolute clowns. They only care about how fast they report something, not about accuracy. They are not insiders and should be trusted about the same as some random guy spreading a trade rumor at your local bar.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Coming fresh off a Stanley cup win and career year, this was kind of expected. Made no sense for him to sign with a non-playoff team for what will likely be his last contract. Lou is such a dinosaur, pretty insane he still has a job in the league at this point.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Coming fresh off a Stanley cup win and career year, this was kind of expected. Made no sense for him to sign with a non-playoff team for what will likely be his last contract. Lou is such a dinosaur, pretty insane he still has a job in the league at this point.

Yeah, most players when they win a Cup their first concern as a free agent seeking their last contract is to be on a playoff team, not term and money.

That's brilliant thinking there tex!

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I just don't get these pundits. They obviously are guessing like "we" do and go out with a megaphone to basically theorize with as much information as the casual fan, but yet they go unscathed for the 90% of the time they are wrong.

Islanders seems to be of the belief that the 13 road games to start the season, the COVID games with the Panik roster, the condensed make up schedule, new arena were a big piece of why they underachieved last year and then somehow replacing an iconic coach with a near 60 year old guy who has always been passed up as a head coach will turn the page... smh
They are "rumours" not "facts". 90 of percent (or more) of trade discussions don't end up in a trade.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, most players when they win a Cup their first concern as a free agent seeking their last contract is to be on a playoff team, not term and money.

That's brilliant thinking there tex!
Yes, players that want to continue to win or at least compete. Why would you want to go from playing on the best team to one of the worst ? He's still getting the same amount of money from both teams, except one can actually compete. It's a no brainer. 7x7 to a playoff team or 7x7 to a non-playoff team, brilliant thinking there.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
That much smoke seems to indicate that there were plans for Kadri to join the Isles and those plans ended up getting changed.

Probably has to do with Lou's refusal to give up a 1st rounder in order to move whoever.

Thank God for that. We're old enough already.

Just run with a top 5 goalie, top 5-10 defense and see if they can make the playoffs. Every year a really good team gets saddled with season-enders and struggle. Last year we lost Pulock and essentially our entire team for a stretch of 10 games while also playing two games in 30 days.

Then again, this is HF so if you don't win the Cup the whole season has been a waste....

Reactions: Fig and The Real JT

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
None of these guys are insiders except a couple. Any of the people who said Kadri to the Islanders are confirmed clowns. Brad Treliving said this has been in the works for a couple weeks.

David Pagnotta and John Shannon are absolute clowns. They only care about how fast they report something, not about accuracy. They are not insiders and should be trusted about the same as some random guy spreading a trade rumor at your local bar.
Doesn't help when most people here can't understand what they are reading either.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Dumping Bailey was proving too expensive. As was giving away Beauvillier. Lou couldn’t stomach taking the trade L the way the Flames could in dumping Sean Monahan. One GM has more risk tolerance than the other.
Agreed. Bailey would’ve cost a pretty penny to move and Beauvillier is useful/has promise but would have gotten even less than Bjorkstrand who was tossed away for nothing.

I think when a Gaudreau is on the other end maybe it’s justifiable but for Kadri aged 32 thru 39 I’m not so sure. I mean Nazem would definitely have helped the Isles a lot these next few years but the collateral damage to fit him would have been high and I don’t think he put them “over the top”.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Yes, players that want to continue to win or at least compete. Why would you want to go from playing on the best team to one of the worst ? He's still getting the same amount of money from both teams, except one can actually compete. It's a no brainer. 7x7 to a playoff team or 7x7 to a non-playoff team, brilliant thinking there.

Ummmm, you do realize that team has been in the conference finals 2 of the last 3 years, right?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

That's literally all of the news and social media these days though. First >>>> Right. We simply don't give a shit when people are flat-out wrong and rarely do they look themselves in the mirror and fret over it. It's one of society's many cancers at the moment.

One thing I will say though in their defense is that I do believe GMs talk A LOT. I think there is an entire stream of conversations around the league about various things and I don't believe they ALL have a level of seriousness that warrant high scrutiny. The expression "kicking the tires" comes to mind. "Hey Jim, it's Ron, what are you thinking you want in return for JT Miller?" I would be shocked if Ron Hextall hasn't had that conversation. Does that mean that Pittsburgh has super high interest in Miller? Maybe, maybe not. But if a deal does not manifest, it doesn't mean the conversation did not happen or perhaps it was very close to happening but didn't. Like Kadri to the Islanders could have been presented and Kadri could simply have been taking his time and considering options or waiting on other deals. Doesn't mean that the Islanders didn't offer it to him.

So it's tough to judge the credibility solely on the number of rumors they report coming to fruition. It's like any sales person, you judge more on the sales they did get than the ones they didn't get. Secondary to that is the win/loss ratio. So that said, there are clearly some that have such poor track records that you can do that. But I do think a guy like Weeke's is developing enough relationships to the point that he can get an idea of what some internal discussions are that he can report on. Our own expectations of future events based on that reporting is our (each individual at HFBoards) issue to come to terms with. A rumor reported by a guy relatively in the know that doesn't end up happening doesn't mean it's fake or that he's full of it. We just need to keep things in perspective.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

The Flames are a year removed from not making the playoffs in that Canadian monstrosity. And it's not like Kadri is being added to the 21-22 version of the Flames. It's a significantly different mix, where he now has the highest cap hit on the roster this season.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Whether you like or hate Lou, one thing is certain. He doesn’t tolerate any leaks. That’s not breaking news.

These clowns, as you so aptly named them, are looking to grab a headline and some present and future credibility. They guessed wrong on Kadri but make no mistake it was a guess.

Most of these guys are making an ok living but probably not killing. That’s reserved for maybe a select few of the analysts. I suppose they’re just trying to get ahead.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Ummmm, you do realize that team has been in the conference finals 2 of the last 3 years, right?
He’s a Leafs fan who will write an entire paragraph for the sole purpose of including a throwaway line in the middle to disparage the Islanders and trigger their fans.

You’ll see that kind of behavior with some Rangers and Leafs fans - best to ignore.

Reactions: PWJunior

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The Flames are a year removed from not making the playoffs in that Canadian monstrosity. And it's not like Kadri is being added to the 21-22 version of the Flames. It's a significantly different mix, where he now has the highest cap hit on the roster this season.
This current Flames roster is much better than last years, they will be a better team going into 2022-23. Also Huberdeau has the highest cap-hit no ? Or whenever his extension kicks in. Flames are just a much better team than the Isles.

I feel using this past season as a measuring stick is much more accurate than 2 years ago, but that's just me

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This current Flames roster is much better than last years, they will be a better team going into 2022-23. Also Huberdeau has the highest cap-hit no ? Or whenever his extension kicks in. Flames are just a much better team than the Isles.

I feel using this past season as a measuring stick is much more accurate than 2 years ago, but that's just me

Right, next year Huberdeau goes to the top of the list, not this year, when Huberdeau's contract is still good.

And I'm not using 2 years ago as a measuring stick. I'm saying go back to 8/19/21, and using your train of thought, the Islanders were in a significantly better position than the Flames were, having made the 3rd rd, as opposed to missing the playoffs completely in the case of Calgary. Things can change quickly.

Nobody knows what Kadri will do. If we use just last year, he's a 90pt center. However, in the 3 previous seasons, over 82 games, he averaged 21g and 51pts. Are 51pts even worth $7m on the cap? I don't know.

Calgary's first option was keeping Gaudreau and Tkachuk. They were more than willing to pay them. Meaning their first choice, apparently, was being a worse team than they are today. They wanted to keep those guys.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009

yikes .. if they offered you the trade last season .. of J.G and M.T for J.H and MW and Kadri ... you would laugh that proposal off HF ... i get they are only taking a small step back .. but they are not the superior team over last year that the fans are trying to portray ...

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Seems like they are trying to set up Weekes to be the next Mackenzie and spoon-feeding him every lead possible to build him up for it. I don't mind it at all although it leads to this. He's made it entertaining.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Always passed up? He’s been an assistant with Trotz for the last 15 years. He was the rumored lead candidate to take the Red Wings job for this coming season.

Can you cite where he interviewed and didn’t land a job?
Passed up in that there have been 75 coaching vacancies in the 15 years and he has never been considered for a head coaching job, that says something. The fact that he has never been hired as a head coach is the "passing up". Something about him has screamed "assistant coach" for 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad