Forza Motorsport

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The new Forza just got released. Reviews are terrible right now. Played a little bit last night and was more arcady than I'd like. GT7 felt a little better. Maybe I need to tweak some settings though. I am curious to try out the career mode though as GT7 career mode was a big disappointment for me.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I installed it, but haven't tried it out yet, probably will tonight.

Yeah the reviews aren't too encouraging. I did hear the steering wheel support is better than in the past (but terrible without adjusting all the settings) and that the physics are supposed to be better.

But it appears to be yet another bug filled Microsoft release. I was worried that Game Pass would encourage them to release sloppier titles, since expectations are lower (games are "free"), and quantity of titles is more important than quality. And that appears to be what's happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I tried this out on Game Pass and I'm not sure if its for me. I'll give it another shot today but I'll probably just end up reinstalling FH5 and playing that instead.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Really not a fan of this game so far. I think I'll stick with Mario Kart for a realistic racing sim.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
They took all that was cool about tuning cars in Horizon and threw it out the window. They're trying to be like Gran Turismo instead of trying to be Forza.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It’s sitting at 85 with 71 reviews, I don’t know how that’s terrible. Not a fan of sim racers, so probably won’t try it either way.

They took all that was cool about tuning cars in Horizon and threw it out the window. They're trying to be like Gran Turismo instead of trying to be Forza.
Huh? There’s always been two Forza games, with Motorsport being the sim and Horizon being the arcade one.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It’s sitting at 85 with 71 reviews, I don’t know how that’s terrible. Not a fan of sim racers, so probably won’t try it either way.

Huh? There’s always been two Forza games, with Motorsport being the sim and Horizon being the arcade one.
Not sure where you're seeing that but on PC and reddit, the reviews don't seem too good.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
But it appears to be yet another bug filled Microsoft release. I was worried that Game Pass would encourage them to release sloppier titles, since expectations are lower (game are "free"), and quantity of titles is more important than quality. And that appears to be what's happening.
The Forza Horizon games were Microsoft, as well, and they ran very well. The problem here appears to be that the developers rebuilt everything from the ground up, with a whole new engine and all, so it's very unoptimized and buggy. Microsoft deserves some blame for letting it get through quality testing, but I wouldn't say that buggy games is a pattern for them. Grounded was released just last year, including on Game Pass, and that was very polished, as you'd expect from Obsidian.
On Steam, it currently has 43% positive reviews. A lot of the complaints appear to be over how the game runs on low and even mid-range hardware, especially compared to past Forza games. I imagine that most PC version reviews are done with a top-of-the-line RTX 4090 and are more inclined to be positive than a regular user trying to run it on his RTX 2060, which ran Forza Horizon 5 just fine.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

The car crafting was epic in Horizon. You could take a pile of crap and make it a top level car with tuning. In this, you slap some parts on and its the same level. Boring.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The Forza Horizon games were Microsoft, as well, and they ran very well. The problem here appears to be that the developers rebuilt everything from the ground up, with a whole new engine and all, so it's very unoptimized and buggy. Microsoft deserves some blame for letting it get through quality testing, but I wouldn't say that it's a pattern for them. Grounded was released just last year, including on Game Pass, and that was very polished, as you'd expect from Obsidian.

I certainly would.

Halo Infinite, Redfall, Starfield (sure it's standard for a Bethesda game) and now this one. Many of their recent big releases have been buggy as hell.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The car crafting was epic in Horizon. You could take a pile of crap and make it a top level car with tuning. In this, you slap some parts on and its the same level. Boring.

That would be completely out of place in this kind of game.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I certainly would.

Halo Infinite, Redfall, Starfield (sure it's standard for a Bethesda game) and now this one. Many of their recent big releases have been buggy as hell.
Microsoft didn't publish Redfall or Starfield. Bethesda did. Microsoft owns ZeniMax, which owns Bethesda, but said after the acquisition that it would continue to operate as a separate business.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Microsoft didn't publish Redfall or Starfield. Bethesda did. Microsoft owns ZeniMax, which owns Bethesda, but said after the acquisition that it would continue to operate as a separate business.

To say that Microsoft has no control or influence over those game would be absurd. They already encouraged Bethesda to delay Starfield once, they could have done the same with Redfall (or Starfield further) if they cared to.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To say that Microsoft has no control or influence over those game would be absurd. They already encouraged Bethesda to delay Starfield once, they could have done the same with Redfall (or Starfield further) if they cared to.
I wasn't saying that they have no control or influence. You pointed out, though, that poor quality is standard for Bethesda and admitted that Microsoft wanted Starfield delayed (and they also did delay Redfall... twice), so it seems like the issue is Bethesda, not Microsoft.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I didn't say that they have no control or influence. You pointed out, though, that poor quality is standard for Bethesda and admitted that Microsoft wanted Starfield delayed (and they also did delay Redfall... twice), so it seems like the issue is Bethesda, not Microsoft.

Who Microsoft owns, and has control and influence over. If they wanted those games to not be released until they were done, they could have made that happen. But they didn't, nor did they ensure that happened with Halo or Forza.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Got my first win online. Was pretty stoked. Went back to check my stats only to realize this game has no driver profile so theres no way to check MP or even single player stats. Such a disappointment. Everything just seems so bare bones.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Who Microsoft owns, and has control and influence over. If they wanted those games to not be released until they were done, they could have made that happen. But they didn't, nor did they ensure that happened with Halo or Forza.
They delayed both games for a year. You seem to be arguing that they don't care about quality, but the fact that they did delay them proves that they do. If developers can't polish a game after being granted a whole extra year, I'm more inclined to blame them.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreytWun

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm not an Xbox player but this seems to have the same problems that Gran Turismo has had since GT5 in 2010. Have fun, lads.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
You seem to be arguing that they don't care about quality

Yes, I think they've been making that that quite clear.

If developers can't polish a game after being granted a whole extra year, I'm more inclined to blame them.

When Microsoft gobbles up these developers and puts their games on Game Pass or for sale for $80, they take responsibility for them.

I don't remember Phil Spencer warning everyone not to buy Redfall before it came out. Microsoft seemed quite content to release it, have people buy it, and then apologize afterwards as if they didn't know it was bad.

These unfinished games make Game Pass and MS look bad, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Depends on which parts. The amount of upgrades you can add depends on the car level. The car level increases the more you drive with it. I also noticed that when I went back to do the race on a car after having done the 3 practice laps, I had to do them again, which is a minor complaint. But, I once restarted a race because I needed a win and moved my starting grid position up by two spots and still was only able to overtake the leading car in the second before last corner, but I kept my car points from the unfinished race. So I guess you can level up you car quicker like that.

I like the car physics more on this than previous ones, the tires wear off more clearly now. All my friends who've played it since last week are also liking or loving it. We'll probably try out the online races (private) this weekend. I've had no bugs or glitches on Series X but one friends has gotten bumped to the dashboard a few times. Though since it happens to him on CoD games too, I'm leaning on it possibly being an issue with his Series X. Fro mwhat I've read, Nordschleife and Monza will be added free next year, with the former in March. Not a real miss, since we didn't race there too much, because people kept falling asleep on some areas. :laugh: Yes, I've also driven right into a barrier after dozing off and one guy was frequently found stopped at the side of the track and heard snoring (because it was game chat back then).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad