Forslund contract negotiations

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
How exactly? They made a business decision to change people. Are teams classless because they move on from a long term player who they couldnt afford anymore? No.

Tom made it apparent he likes Forslund more but he has made the decision to put all his money on the ice. It isn’t classless, its business.

Yes it's just business.

And so is my decision whether to attend in person when we are allowed to again. No reason for me to consider it more than a business transaction with Dundon in charge.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yes it's just business.

And so is my decision whether to attend in person when we are allowed to again. No reason for me to consider it more than a business transaction with Dundon in charge.
If it makes sense for you to miss the games to afford something that you feel is more important, then yes by all means do your thing. Its your money. Im not here to criticize how you spend your money. I bet you wouldn’t care if I did or may feel a little offended. Plenty of folks love to criticize the owners’ right to spend his money.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yes it's just business.

4gbxxh.jpg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So classless and heartless, really by the organization...use em up and spit em out appears to be the mantra.

I'm disappointed to read this but not surprised. Dundon doesn't have the sentimental attachment that we the fans have, which it's his right but letting Forslund walk isn't something the fans wanted nor expected to happen.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
What percentage of Canes TV fans make up the fanatics that waste time posting about the PGP guy? I'm one too. We make a big deal out of something that may be a lot smaller potatoes in the big scheme of things. We see things as uber-fans and team money is no object.

I don't blame Forslund for wanting guaranteed money. I don't blame Dundon for wanting to control costs in a strange time.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What percentage of Canes TV fans make up the fanatics that waste time posting about the PGP guy? I'm one too. We make a big deal out of something that may be a lot smaller potatoes in the big scheme of things. We see things as uber-fans and team money is no object.

I don't blame Forslund for wanting guaranteed money. I don't blame Dundon for wanting to control costs in a strange time.

But when your uber-fans are reconsidering spending money on your product, that "strange time" takes longer to end.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Plenty of companies know how to gracefully handle an exit of a beloved and respected member of an organization instead of letting the N&O and Adam Golds do the heavy lifting for them. It keeps being talked about because many around the league are aghast and think we're nuts for doing this - fans, the media and analysts alike.

They had the man everywhere..on any platform...station, podcast, channel, community event, etc to promote the Canes and represent the organization - PR Gold. And, then to summarily dismiss him in such a way is just so tacky and short sighted.
Need we remind everyone that we've literally only heard one side of the story.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Am I going to stop attending games because John Forslund is no longer the PBP guy? Not so much.

I can only speak for myself on this. Will I end up in PNC again for a game when allowed? I'm sure I will at some point.

Am I going to try and convince my family to get a mini package like I was planning in January? Not anymore.

Will I be as interested in sitting down on a random Thursday night and watching? Probably as long as the season hasn't gone south.

This is probably the most confounding thing to me: revenue will be down because they can't bring people in the building. And now is the time they decide to play hardball with the primary point of contact the franchise has with the community outside the arena. The person who is most likely to keep talking about the Canes through December when the games start again and the primary contact most people will have with the franchise until the building can be at least partially filled.

Does this also go back in part to Kaiton? Yes. I only accepted Kaiton being let go because I knew Forslund could do double duty.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Yeah its dumbfounding to me that in a time where you're not likely to get fans in the building you would accept a downgrade on the face/voice of the organization that may be the only fan point of contact for the foreseeable future

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t believe this had a lot to do with being a difficult time. I think Forslund was unlikely to get that great an offer at the best of times. There’s an obvious theme here with frequent changes in staff overall and it’s being easily pushed in the direction of “we spend money on players” which after the pk era is certainly refreshing.

Fine, If we’re going to be all business and it’s all about the players only then fans are within their rights to have very high expectations of that team and to be critical of the decisions. You guys screwed the pooch with your off season last year. You took a good thing and did your best to knock it off the tracks. If that’s what you’re going to do with the money you “save” from having a talented organization around the team you should give yourselves a Forslund like offer for this coming season.

I only half mean that, we all know that’s what’s coming for your next contract offer from TD regardless of how you do. You’ll all be replaced in the next couple of years by your underlings who are willing to do it for whatever percentage cheaper.

Business is business.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There’s an obvious theme here with frequent changes in staff overall and it’s being easily pushed in the direction of “we spend money on players” which after the pk era is certainly refreshing.

not to mention a lot of the nepotism and county club atmosphere that existed is gone. Making up jobs for ex players, hiring guys like Nieuwendyk as a scout from his home in Dallas, drafting Josh Wesley, etc.

Fine, If we’re going to be all business and it’s all about the players only then fans are within their rights to have very high expectations of that team and to be critical of the decisions.

When are fans not within their rights to be critical of a teams decisions? It’s been that way regardless of what was spent as long as I’ve been on HF.

You guys screwed the pooch with your off season last year. You took a good thing and did your best to knock it off the tracks. If that’s what you’re going to do with the money you “save” from having a talented organization around the team you should give yourselves a Forslund like offer for this coming season.

while I agree the team lost some of its chemistry and identity due to the moves and the FO deserves criticism for that, they still were on pace for 99 points. I wouldn’t call that “screwing the pooch”. You always make moves to improve and sometimes it doesn’t work out. Regardless of the changes, I don’t think we could reasonably expect that the team would replicate the pace of 2nd half of last season. Today and Willy commented how they were essentially playing playoff hockey for 4 months just to get in. It was a grind that IMO, wasn’t sustainable.

they deserve criticism for making moves that didn’t work out for sure though.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Need we remind everyone that if the other side wanted to tell their story that is somehow different than the "tough times, business decision" they've told to date, they've had every opportunity to do so.

Including a full hour interview with the owner himself. If he wanted to talk about this then, I’m sure Gold would have worked it in.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sometimes they've been damned for saying too much, leaking too much, or trying to control the narrative. Sometimes they're damned for not saying enough like with Charlotte or John. People would complain about it no matter what. It's not about the reasons, it's about not getting what you want.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Sometimes telling "the other side of the story" makes you look worse that saying nothing at all. There is a reason we have the 5th amendment.
Yep. Sometimes the best thing you can say is nothing.

No matter how they would try to spin it, it would be perceived as being cheap. Better to just say they couldn't reach an agreement and leave it at that. That is the nothing they will most likely say.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sometimes telling "the other side of the story" makes you look worse that saying nothing at all. There is a reason we have the 5th amendment.
"We halved the salary budget for 30 employees as a permanent change. By making a special consideration for John we'd risk it becoming less permanent."

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
More concerning is the environment that this creates for our team and the message this sends to our team and coaches. I know they are often viewed as hired guns instead of humans but they aren't deaf or blind to what is going on about them.

In ESPN's recent bubble article, they discuss how players compared and contrasted their team's treatment of them vs others. Some even noticed details like the difference in the quality of sandwiches and other items some teams provided vs what others received. Sometimes the little things can make a difference.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
More concerning is the environment that this creates for our team and the message this sends to our team and coaches. I know they are often viewed as hired guns instead of humans but they aren't deaf or blind to what is going on about them.

In ESPN's recent bubble article, they discuss how players compared and contrasted their team's treatment of them vs others. Some even noticed details like the difference in the quality of sandwiches and other items some teams provided vs what others received. Sometimes the little things can make a difference.
concern by players and coaches, isnt any. The owner wants to spend money us to be successful. No concern, actual jubilation instead.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Meh, most of the players probably don't care that much. Mike has been around them as much as John. Most of them have only known him a few years and don't have some crazy deep attachment. Kinda like Dundon.

As to the stuff in the bubble, don't know if we were good or bad, but Dundon did say in his interview that he considers facilities and other such benefits, to be part of the on ice that he's more concerned with spending on. Perhaps they are largely okay with the stuff that actually affects them. Can't recall anything overly negative to that effect.

Reactions: cptjeff

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
For me, it’s the cumulative little things that keep happening. And not all of them affect the on-ice product, but it’s little pricks to my fandom that eventually are going to add up to .... what, I don’t know. Does winning cure everything? Not always. If they win and Dundon continues to operate somewhat like a dick (see, I’m being fair), well, he’ll still be a dick and *some* fans still won’t be all in. It’s probably not enough to make a dent, true - but that is best case scenario, assuming they win and continue to win.

I’m not mad, I’m not overly down about it - I’m sighing. And there have been a few momentS of sighing (trading CDH for one) that just have me keeping my eyes open for more shit to happen.

that’s all.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2