Forslund contract negotiations

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I used to watch other teams feeds or listen to Chuck on the radio while watching for years. I don’t want John to go but life will go on, I wish him the best if he does.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Whether Forslund sucked in the past is immaterial to whether Shaya sucks bad enough to prefer watching the other team's announcers. Which he does.
And that's after years of Shaya improving...when he first started with the Checkers you never knew which team had the puck or who scored a goal because he would act equally excited when something was happening. Even at his best he's not as good as the guy (Steve something?) who did play calling before him. He's very bland in his play calling, not that he's bad, it's just uninteresting...would that be the way to call it?

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
giphy.gif

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
So like does he have another deal on the table somewhere or is he just a free agent? I cant imagine he'd go without offers for long but maybe dundon just doesnt want to pay broadcasters until there's something to broadcast... I'm grasping at straws I guess. I know its dumb but I'm pretty upset.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
So like does he have another deal on the table somewhere or is he just a free agent? I cant imagine he'd go without offers for long but maybe dundon just doesnt want to pay broadcasters until there's something to broadcast... I'm grasping at straws I guess. I know its dumb but I'm pretty upset.

Well, there's NBC, right?

Reactions: AD Skinner

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

Tampa's guy is retiring, so there's that, I guess.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's like the final episode of Sex and the City without a phone call from John.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It's my hope that this is a negotiating tactic. To get the best deal, you have to be able to signal your ability and willingness to walk away. But TD plays hardball, and always will. This is part of the deal.
Is the hard ball from Tom or John in this case? John has national level, well paid options. He has a bargaining chip. Tripp didn’t have that.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Doesn't sound good, but it would surprise me if they don't find a way to still make it work. When they let Kaiton go, they were very upfront about John and Tripp's quality of call being the reason why they were so comfortable doing it. If they really let him go, it kills the entire mindset of that decision only a year or so ago.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Not really surprising. He was only signed to a one-year deal last summer and it's been rumored for a long time that he has multiple options.

Doesn't make it all the more shittier, but it's not earth-shattering news either. Unfortunately Covid isn't helping things either.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
this is the contract pattern now, I guess. 'impasse' as a negotiation tactic every time. which reminds me, any update on the Checkers situation? no? same impasse type situation? after Aho last summer, after Justin Williams this past winter.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hopefully this is Forslund's "interviewing with Minnesota for the GM job". I've heard Dundon say multiple times to STM groups that Forslund is one of the truly special pieces that Carolina has.

If he goes that would suck. If their plan is to replace him with Shaya then I need to start looking for other audio options because he is unlistenable.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The good news for me is that I usually watch on my iPad while the wife and/or kids watch some other bullshit on TV and I don’t hear the broadcast all that much anymore. Now that my oldest might actually watch some with me though this is quite upsetting. Sharing John Forslund’s brilliance with him as my father shared Fred Cusak’s would be special.

as an aside, Dundon likes things cheap and I will offer my services for free. The FCC fines might outweigh the benefit there.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm just gonna go ahead and let this play out. I'm not going to freak out regardless, as I mentioned. I'll be sad, but so be it. But as mentioned, we thought Charlotte was gone, it isn't yet, we though Waddell was gone, didn't happen, we had some of the same song and dance with the announcers last year and it didn't happen. I want to see something truly final before getting way too invested in this reported outcome.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Man I will miss Forslund if he goes... I don't blame him but. Dundon dude so what he might be slightly on the expensive side he's the best... and I get it it's hard to show what "
value" he adds.. Just like Chuck :( Mind you Radio was definitely losing money. so I got it... Don't let Forslund go just don't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad