Recalled/Assigned: Forsberg to Milwaukee, Beck Called Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
101, you know just as well as I do that stats do not tell the whole picture. Linemates, offensive zone play, etc. are just as important as the final number of minutes.

It hasn't mattered who Forsberg is on the ice with at ES over parts of two seasons, he hasn't been able to get a goal. His one ES point this year is an assist on a Gaustad goal ... but that doesn't fit the narrative, does it?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
It hasn't mattered who Forsberg is on the ice with at ES over parts of two seasons, he hasn't been able to get a goal. His one ES point this year is an assist on a Gaustad goal ... but that doesn't fit the narrative, does it?

I'm not spouting a narrative, but I am pointing out the flaws to using TOI as the only means of analysis. For what it is worth, the Gaustad goal was a minor deflection of a ripped Forsberg shot. It was no minor assist.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'd worry more about his defense if he was a defenseman or center. Wingers really don't have that many defensive responsiblities.

Now if it is the defenseman on the point he's supposed to covering each time, that would be different...

Wingers need to forecheck hard, cover the points and limit ridiculous turnovers.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I'll be more impressed if he goes two games without being on the ice for a goal against.

Are you effing kidding me? All these players must suck too then since they are on the ice for all of these goals against:

Ovechkin -10
P. Kane - 4
E. Malkin -4
R. Kesler -4
S. Weber -8
Giroux -8

What matters is he is at almost 2pts/game so far. But you are the board's resident ****-stirrer so I guess I'm just taking the bait here.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Are you effing kidding me? All these players must suck too then since they are on the ice for all of these goals against:

Ovechkin -10
P. Kane - 4
E. Malkin -4
R. Kesler -4
S. Weber -8
Giroux -8

What matters is he is at almost 2pts/game so far. But you are the board's resident ****-stirrer so I guess I'm just taking the bait here.
You are taking the argument to extremes that fail to justify your point. Forsberg, though having great offensive upside, is nothing close to any of those players. Their defensive play can be overlooked to an extent based on track record and production. You don't give a 19 year old producing at a career .375 PPG clip (in a small sample size) the same kind of leeway.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
You are more impressed with +/- than with points?

It isn't his +/- ... it's his defensive play and lack of scoring at ES. He was on the ice for three goals against in his first two games with the Ads last week including a shorthanded goal. His defensive play, although it carries relatively simple assignments as a wing, is poor. He's been on the ice for 15 goals against in 16 career NHL games. It's about one ES goal against for every 11:40 of TOI for Forsberg while he's scored no goals and has only 2 assists at ES. His inability to fill his simple assignments is costing the team and leading to quality chances for the opposition.

Ovechkin -10
P. Kane - 4
E. Malkin -4
R. Kesler -4
S. Weber -8
Giroux -8

Go look at those players' PP performance(except for Shea's which is lacking so far) and compare them to Forsberg's numbers. Look which of them play protected minutes like Forsberg. Look how many of them have two ES assists in their career ... only one a primary point. Look how many of them have ZERO ES goals ... ZERO 5on4 goals in their career. Stating this comparison is "apples to water buffaloes" was kind. There is no comparison between Forsberg and any of the players you mention. If there were, Forsberg wouldn't be in Milwaukee right now to work on his play and regain confidence. Ovechkin is a -10 but has been on the ice for more goals for than against this season 26 to 18 .... Forsberg has been on the ice for 6 goals for, 9 against. Forsberg has one goal in his NHL career, a 5on3 in the first two minutes of ice time this season ... Ovechkin is averaging 1.4 goals per 60 minutes of 5on5 time, 2.34 goals per 60 minutes of ice time in all situations.

When you want to discuss hockey, let me know. If you want to keep challenging the profanity filter and call me names, feel free ... it just makes me laugh then shake my head at your extremely flawed and illogical comparisons.

Hockeyfever

Jan 5, 2012
During the pregame show for tonight's Admirals game Coach Evason said that
Watson has been their best forward over the last three games.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It isn't his +/- ... it's his defensive play and lack of scoring at ES. He was on the ice for three goals against in his first two games with the Ads last week including a shorthanded goal. His defensive play, although it carries relatively simple assignments as a wing, is poor. He's been on the ice for 15 goals against in 16 career NHL games. It's about one ES goal against for every 11:40 of TOI for Forsberg while he's scored no goals and has only 2 assists at ES. His inability to fill his simple assignments is costing the team and leading to quality chances for the opposition.

Go look at those players' PP performance(except for Shea's which is lacking so far) and compare them to Forsberg's numbers. Look which of them play protected minutes like Forsberg. Look how many of them have two ES assists in their career ... only one a primary point. Look how many of them have ZERO ES goals ... ZERO 5on4 goals in their career. Stating this comparison is "apples to water buffaloes" was kind. There is no comparison between Forsberg and any of the players you mention. If there were, Forsberg wouldn't be in Milwaukee right now to work on his play and regain confidence. Ovechkin is a -10 but has been on the ice for more goals for than against this season 26 to 18 .... Forsberg has been on the ice for 6 goals for, 9 against. Forsberg has one goal in his NHL career, a 5on3 in the first two minutes of ice time this season ... Ovechkin is averaging 1.4 goals per 60 minutes of 5on5 time, 2.34 goals per 60 minutes of ice time in all situations.

When you want to discuss hockey, let me know. If you want to keep challenging the profanity filter and call me names, feel free ... it just makes me laugh then shake my head at your extremely flawed and illogical comparisons.
Gaustad, has been on the ice for 14 goals against, 9 at even strength, 6 goals for.
Nystrom has been on the ice for 16 goals against, 12 at even strength, 7 goals for

No powerplay goals for from either but considered 2 way players.

Forsberg has been on the ice for 9 goals against, all at even strength and only 1 even strength goal for.

However, on the powerplay, Forsberg has been on the ice for 5 goals, the only forwards with more are Legwand and Hornqvist with 8. The Predators have scored only 11 powerplay goals, Forsberg in only 11 games played of the 18 games so far was on the ice for 5 of those 11 and has direct points in 4 of those 5.

We when games when we can score on the powerplay, Forsberg helps us on the powerplay.

Protect his es minutes, and let him loose on the powerplay.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Forsberg has not just "been on the ice" for goals against, nor is he just "missing on his limited defensive assignments. He has turned the puck over numerous times in neutral ice on VERY silly brain-fart type plays. 3 led directly to goals, others to some heavy pressure. It's more ice and game awareness thing it seems to me, which also brings in his sometimes "over-handling" on the offensive side too.

That said, I want him playing regular minutes, not limited time with 4th liners. If that means Milw then give him a month. Since he's coming back now I really want to see him play with Leggy and Horny, or Fish and Willy, give him the kinda' talent and awareness and steadiness around him that he can work with and use his talent.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Gaustad, has been on the ice for 14 goals against, 9 at even strength, 6 goals for.
Nystrom has been on the ice for 16 goals against, 12 at even strength, 7 goals for

No powerplay goals for from either but considered 2 way players.

Forsberg has been on the ice for 9 goals against, all at even strength and only 1 even strength goal for.

However, on the powerplay, Forsberg has been on the ice for 5 goals, the only forwards with more are Legwand and Hornqvist with 8. The Predators have scored only 11 powerplay goals, Forsberg in only 11 games played of the 18 games so far was on the ice for 5 of those 11 and has direct points in 4 of those 5.

We when games when we can score on the powerplay, Forsberg helps us on the powerplay.

Protect his es minutes, and let him loose on the powerplay.

Yet if Forsberg is put in limited, 4th line type minutes at ES these boards complain like Trotz killed puppies. Forsberg has the worst ES GA/60 on the team coupled with third worst GF/60. His PP stats are 3 secondary assists 5on4, one goal 5on3 .... one primary point on the PP.

Your Goose and Nystrom PP cites made me laugh ... they've combined for 35 seconds more of PP time than Forsberg averages per game (2:52 total for Nystrom/Gaustad vs 2:17 per game for Filip).

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
goals, first assist or secondary assist, doesn't matter to me, fact is our powerplay works better when he's on it.

We carry players like Gaustad, Hendricks, Spaling, Nystrom and Clune that all have limitted roles, so to balance out these guys, we need a guy like Forsberg.

When our powerplay is working, we score goals, when we score goals for the most part we win. One things for sure though, when we don't score goals, we lose. I don't need any special stat to confirm that.

oh, and Hutton sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad