LeBrun: Forsberg and Preds a few 100 K apart on AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So at the time his playing days are done, let say after this contract he will be over $100 Mil made on NHL contracts. SO i ask again you really gonna sweat $100k or the $1 mil you left on the table?

It sounds like they are 300k apart. Let's assume a 7 year deal since that's what he could get on the market so 2.1 million$. Let's assume the $100 mill in career earnings to make the math easy.

2.1% of your lifetime earnings isn't insignificant for anyone. The average Canadian makes 50K. Let's assume that's what they average over their life (prbly higher but again make the math easy).

Assuming 40 years worked that's 2 million$ total. 2.1% of 2 million is $42,000. Divide that over the next 7 years $6,000 per then apply interest moving forward. That's a ton of money no matter the income bracket.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The difference on a million over term can be an extra 100k for the agent.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
What's the difference?

The team has a salary cap to fit everyone into

Why is that? The owner can make money until the day he dies the player has a finite window.

The owner probably doesn't care about the few extra 100k and would happily pay him out of pocket if the CBA allowed for it...so the problem isn't the owner as they've spent up to or close to the max cap before, it's cap management and making sure there's enough for everyone going forward.

This is the GM's job, try to find the lowest possible number at which you can sign players to maximize your return on everyone.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
At that point just give him that. You don’t lose a player like Forsberg over that amount.
Bingo.

Not when Ryjo and Duchene already make that amount. FF is, and should be, worth more.

Give him 9 and let that be that.

And they let their franchise forward walk over relative peanuts, a week after adding a 32 year old McDonough, then Poile should be turfed immediately.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
At that point just give him that. You don’t lose a player like Forsberg over that amount.

lets say they are 500k apart on AAV... multiply that by 8 years... thats $4 million dollars they are apart..thats not exactly chump change

If a player is sweating a few hundred thousand that says a lot more about the player than the organization.
a few hundred thousand per year... multiply by 8 years..

I'm not about to judge Forsberg for trying to get an extra 4-5 million

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
lets say they are 500k apart on AAV... multiply that by 8 years... thats $4 million dollars they are apart..thats not exactly chump change

a few hundred thousand per year... multiply by 8 years..

I'm not about to judge Forsberg for trying to get an extra 4-5 million
An extra $4 million over 8 years is not a big enough difference to accept losing Forsberg

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
If the billionaire is throwing money around I'd rather it be to people in need not to the millionaire athlete. He's already disgustingly rich and doesn't need anymore money.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
No player should ever take a pay cut. f*** the owners, pay the man.

Edgy.

What's your issue with team owners? This isn't baseball. I highly doubt ownership is stepping in over even a million or two. This is a salary cap league and the team is thinking of every angle - now and the future. I don't think this situation has anything to do with what a single player makes.

Now if you supported a franchise that continually refused to meet the salary cap to compete or something....but paying a single player in favor of spending elsewhere?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Why is that? The owner can make money until the day he dies the player has a finite window.
If a player is sweating a few hundred thousand that says a lot more about the player than the organization.

Also what are the odds the Preds aren’t going to rebuild at some point during his contract? Weren’t they about to blow it up a season or two ago before they suddenly improved? He’s taking a competitive risk signing there with term if he wants a cup. The team is a bit of a mixed bag but Josi and much of their core are getting older. If hypothetically a team were trending down I’d say it’s a bit generous to hitch what remains of your best years to them to extend their open-ish window out of loyalty.

I’d take a pretty generous discount with a team I thought had serious extended chance at the cup if I was around his age with my last chance at a huge deal.

The less confident I am I’d win big the more I’d like to offset that w $. I would never want to sit thru mediocre and or rebuild years at discount when the team likely wouldn’t be spending to the cap by then anyway. Let the young players you do have sign cheap bridge deals and either pay them later if you can rebuild on the fly, or if you’re just rebuilding then trade them around the time they expect their next contract and first payday (and or trade Forsberg if he wants a chance at the cup)

Quite possibly all he’s accomplishing is putting butts in their seats for some more years making them money. I’m not concerned or judging a person with a limited earning window wanting to get as much.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why. They got more money than he does.
Can’t make up the money if he only gets 7 years elsewhere if the talks around around the $8 mill area.

$64 plus mill over 8. Will the get $60 mill over 7? That’s over $8.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad