LeBrun: Forsberg and Preds a few 100 K apart on AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
The player has made $41 million in his career. A few hundred thousand is is like $1000 to me and you. So much for taking a wee bit of a pay cut.
a few 100k over an 8 year contract could be anywhere from 1-4 Miliion dollars.

And I would love $1000 dollars, especially if I worked my ass off my entire life for the moment to demand it, because I can easily take my services elsewhere and get more.

Reactions: viper0220

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I don't believe he's the majority owner yet though.

Edit - Looks like it's in 3 years that he becomes the majority owner
The point of my copy paste is to show that it's stupid to attack an athlete for wanting to be paid more money (that he can easily get on the open market) because the only party this affects is the owner(s), who have exponentially more money than any single athlete. You don't see former players rise to the level of ownership except in rare cases, and it's always star athletes buying a partnership stake after years of career earnings.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Few hundred k's in here could mean almost a million, but anyways, if it's that close, why not stay.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Funny when people side with the billionaires over the millionaires.
To be fair, you don't get to be a billionaire by being stupid with your money.

Teams have budgets. There's a lot that goes into forecasting budgets and costs, risks, benefits, etc. If you're an owner, you would expect the man (or team) in charge of your multi-million dollar investment to due his due diligence and manage finances appropriately.

Teams are investments. Buyers want them to be assets, not liabilities. The goal is to make money, even if you're a billionaire. Don't forget, when you look up net worths, that's not the liquid cash they have sitting in the bank ready to spend. That line of thinking is why you are not a millionaire or billionaire.

That all said, Forsberg shouldn't have to take a pay cut but that's because I believe his success and contributions to the team success would make that a worthy investment.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
In this case, the billionaires are much less likely to leave us. That's why.
When both sides are making money far in excess to what most of us will ever make (and the team offer is "fair"), I'll err with whichever gives my team the best chance to win (in this case, a few hundred thousand less is a little more cap flexibility to do something else with).

Reactions: Viqsi

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Time for the Predators ownership to stop being cheapskates and pay up. 8.5M is already a bit of a discount on Forsberg's part. No reason for him to take another 3.5% cut which equates to about 2.4M over the entire contract. A billionaire can make that much in a day if not less.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So at the time his playing days are done, let say after this contract he will be over $100 Mil made on NHL contracts. SO i ask again you really gonna sweat $100k or the $1 mil you left on the table?
I would love to be the recruiter that hires you, it would be the easiest lowball negotiation of my life.

Reactions: Foppberg and God

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
The player has made $41 million in his career. A few hundred thousand is is like $1000 to me and you. So much for taking a wee bit of a pay cut.
A few hundred thousands is like $10 to me and you from the owners perspective. As said before, these few hundred thousands could amount from anywhere from $1M to $4M over 8 years, which could represent up to ~5% of his total career earnings by the end of it. That's not completely insignificant.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He has alot of leverage holding out for that last bit... may as well milk as much as possible and get every cent

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Time for the Predators ownership to stop being cheapskates and pay up. 8.5M is already a bit of a discount on Forsberg's part. No reason for him to take another 3.5% cut which equates to about 2.4M over the entire contract. A billionaire can make that much in a day if not less.
Is it, thought?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
1 shot at UFA and just scored 42 goals.

Expected to score 30 a year. 8.5 x 8 NMC and NTC full for 6 years let's say.

8.8 is fine too. The cap is supposed to go up right away so I completely understand players signing these large contracts wanting the high AAV.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
If a player is sweating a few hundred thousand that says a lot more about the player than the organization.
I think it says the player doesn’t want to be in Nashville. I take this as overpay for me or I leave because I don’t really want to be here

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
I agree with blame the team for nickel and diming the player on a few 100k, but the team also has a cap. So the few 100k isnt out of the owners pocket, it’s out of a teammate’s pocket. Most likely one that would earn signifcantly less than FF.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Organization "Low 8's- 8.2ish?"
Agent: "8.5 and we can end this right now?"
Organization "8.27?"

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think it says the player doesn’t want to be in Nashville. I take this as overpay for me or I leave because I don’t really want to be here
What player that doesn't want to play for a team suddenly changes their mind for a couple extra hundred thousand a season (when we're already talking in the 8 millions range)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad