LeBrun: Forsberg and Preds a few 100 K apart on AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Also what are the odds the Preds aren’t going to rebuild at some point during his contract? Weren’t they about to blow it up a season or two ago before they suddenly improved? He’s taking a competitive risk signing there with term if he wants a cup. The team is a bit of a mixed bag but Josi and much of their core are getting older. If hypothetically a team were trending down I’d say it’s a bit generous to hitch what remains of your best years to them to extend their open-ish window out of loyalty.

I’d take a pretty generous discount with a team I thought had serious extended chance at the cup if I was around his age with my last chance at a huge deal.

The less confident I am I’d win big the more I’d like to offset that w $. I would never want to sit thru mediocre and or rebuild years at discount when the team likely wouldn’t be spending to the cap by then anyway. Let the young players you do have sign cheap bridge deals and either pay them later if you can rebuild on the fly, or if you’re just rebuilding then trade them around the time they expect their next contract and first payday (and or trade Forsberg if he wants a chance at the cup)

Quite possibly all he’s accomplishing is putting butts in their seats for some more years making them money. I’m not concerned or judging a person with a limited earning window wanting to get as much.
Nah the " blowing it up " is just people that don't understand how David Poile operates. He has never blown the team up except when the owner forced him to because he was selling the team. He will always try and retool things while trying to keep the team in the playoffs.

Poile may retire in a few years but odds are the owners will get a GM that will keep that philosophy unless Haslam shells out some big bucks and buys the rest of the owners out and goes a different direction.

The truth is though it's hard to complain about the team around you if you are sucking up every dollar you possibly can. There is a point where you just end up helping to create your own mediocrity. Yes a few 100k isn't much but if you do that over several players now you suddenly can't keep a guy that also deserves a raise in the future.

Whatever the difference is he will still be the 2nd highest paid player on the team if he signs. Whether it's 8.2 or 8.8 neither him nor the owners are going to be hurting for money by the end of it.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Haslam will want all white ones tbh
giphy.gif

Take a bow, sir.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Preds are going to be the new Sharks. Lots of aging players on long term contracts.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
I don't blame Forsberg for trying to get the best deal for himself, but I also think that this is the mindest that prevents a good team from becoming a great team. A few 100k here and there and suddenly you have enough cap space left to accomodate role players that other teams can't.

If you feel comfortable in Nashville and want to be a part of this organization and feel like this team can win a cup if things develop well during the next few years... why in hell would you say "I'll stay in the high 8s but will leave in the low 8s"? Just be okay with the fact that you get paid over 8 million to play in the place you want to be - or leave.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
His agent gonna get a nice bonus/reward
Exactly, alot of fans think its the player playing hardball which isn't always true. Agents get a percentage so if a team pays more obviously the agent gets more as well. When a player says he is going to hit free agency it's music to an agents ears knowing they well also do betterbetterp

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
For all we know Forsberg could have said that "anything between 8 and 9 is cool as long as there's NTC, you work on the details" and this is his agent pushing for the extra 100s
why wouldn't Forsberg just say 8 is good and ice a better team around him. Maybe I'm just that competitive and he's a stuck up brat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad