Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers) II

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
His trade value for Subban was far too low. Just because Weber's broken down body made him LTIR eligible and removed his salary doesn't make it a great deal. Bergie was bailed of his stupidity. No matter what happened to Subban afterwards because no one knew his decline would be so steep. At the time of trade Subban was still elite and four years younger while Weber's contract was atrocious piece of crap. Nashville fleeced him.

Some of us predicted the Subban decline.

Reactions: dgeezus

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Halak played 18 games in the 2020 run. He only played 18 playoffs games for the remaining 13 seasons of his career.

He had very little success after that run.

By contrast, Price played 66 playoff games from 2010 onward (11 seasons).

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
You predicted he'd get a career changing back injury ? Damn.
The best excuse founded by his pompom fans. He was looking a lot better when he's on pksubban.com , no ?

Would you say " poor Drouin, he get a career changing wrist injury "? :laugh:

PKtrainingselfies.png
PK.lol.com.png

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He had 51 points in 68 games in his last year and was the leading D in +/-.

He was a Norris finalist in his 2nd year in Nashville.
Quote me all the stats you want, I watched every single game and I was concerned the speed was soon going to be an actual liability, and I said so, while at the same time fighting the Subban-as cancer talk, which was totally wrong.

Question though: why are Subban's 51 pts in a lost season more meaningful than Galchenyuk's 30 goals in that same season?

People use their eyes, and Galchenyuk was left off the NA 23 and under team for the World Cup of Hockey that summer.

Strangely, Subban was left off the over-23 Canada team too. Weber was an alternate captain.

I don't want to debate this any further, as I find the debate is driven by Subban lovers versus Subban haters, and I don't identify with the haters side.

If someone wants the last word so they can 'win' the internet, so be it.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Quote me all the stats you want, I watched every single game and I was concerned the speed was soon going to be an actual liability, and I said so, while at the same time fighting the Subban-as cancer talk, which was totally wrong.

Question though: why are Subban's 51 pts in a lost season more meaningful than Galchncyuk's 30 goals in that same season?

40 points in 66 games in his first season with Nashville. Stanley Cup Finals. Conn Smyth Vote.
59 points in 82 games in his second season with Nashville. Had a career year in goals. Led the D in points. A norris finalist in this season as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Question though: why are Subban's 51 pts in a lost season more meaningful than Galchncyuk's 30 goals in that same season?

People use their eyes, and Galchenyuk was left off the NA 23 and under team for the World cup of Hockey that summer.

Strangely, Subban was left off the over-23 Canada team too. Weber was an alternate captain.

I don't want to debate this any further, as I find the debate is driven by Subbas lovers versus Subban haters, and I don't identify with the haters side.

If someone wants the last word so they can 'win' the internet, so be it.
To get on international teams your coach has to go to bat for you. The habs’ old school coaches did not get along with Subban, how could they? He did what they asked, played well, showed enthusiasm, same attitude as Gallagher but with personality and colour. Those last things just didn’t fly.

So much happier with a coach who tries to get everyone to succeed however they can do that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Speaking of Galchenyuk

If he keeps moving east, he will next play in the ECHL for Alaska.

To get on international teams your coach has to go to bat for you. The habs’ old school coaches did not get along with Subban, how could they? He did what they asked, played well, showed enthusiasm, same attitude as Gallagher but with personality and colour. Those last things just didn’t fly.

So much happier with a coach who tries to get everyone to succeed however they can do that.
Why would his coaches have to go to bat for him?

Shouldn't one of the top D in the league get selected easily?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Team Canada always pick the best players, which is why we have Brandon Tanev on the team this year. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

The guys choosing the team will always check with the coach. Most coaches will recommend their players with just a dash of honesty. Therrien always tried to sell Subban as a problem player that he’d succeeded in partially fixing.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The guys choosing the team will always check with the coach. Most coaches will recommend their players with just a dash of honesty. Therrien always tried to sell Subban as a problem player that he’d succeeded in partially fixing.
I don't buy it. Team Canada officials want the best players. If Paul Coffey's coach pulled his hair out due to overly ambitious forays down the ice, they were still taking him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yep. I remember you saying this.

But nobody could’ve predicted those injuries or his play falling off so rapidly. Retiring in his early 30s was tragic. He was a Norris candidate in Nashville and would’ve won the Smythe had the Preds won that year. He was still a monster when we dealt him.

Amazing that he and Price were done so soon.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I don't buy it. Team Canada officials want the best players. If Paul Coffey's coach pulled his hair out due to overly ambitious forays down the ice, they were still taking him.
They want the best players who fit the team. They ask the coaches if guys will fit. No one knows all the players and no national coach wants surprises once the games start.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
?????

He was a perpetual Norris candidate.

What’s your hypothesis? He just forgot how to play hockey?
Perpetual Norris candidate ? 3 times is perpetual ?

gain too much muscular mass so lost his speed. I also think that he was nearly more interested to promote his me-myself and I PKSubban brand and to be invited in front of cameras, instead of playing hockey.

I could see him makes a re-make of Coach corner à la Don Cherry but without the 1950's kind of comments of that last.
I used to love PK but how much he turned to be a one man show...

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad