Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers) II

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
On 32 thoughts they had a call in from Grabovski, who is apparently living in Stouffville.

Friedman had a story about the game where the Habs were pissed at Grabo. When he got back to rhe bench Ron Wilson asked him what he did to make the other team so mad at him and it sounds like it isn't PG, so Friedman teased it, but didn't say it, but added that the players thought the exchange between Grabovski and Wilson was hilarious

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Friendly reminder we hate Bergevin.

Injuries suck. I couldnt believe bow resilient he was.

After his string of injuries, I was convinced he'd be done out there, but he'd always come back and perform really well.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I caught some of the knuckles podcast with Sheldon Souray.

Souray talked about his ufa summer back in 2007 and how it unfolded, which I found really interesting.

Basically, he had family issues with his wife and he was aiming for new york or LA as destinations. He was confident he was going to end up in one of those spots, but the Rangers ended up getting two big fish in Drury and gomez on the same day, so they were out.

LA said they would rather use that money on multiple ufas rather than blowing their load on one guy, so they were out.

Now all of a sudden a few days have passed and he's got no team, so Gainey circled back at this point and offered souray a handsome deal to bring him back to montreal. But Gainey said he has another dman lined up and that Souray had 10 minutes to make up his mind.

Souray said that he was happy because he would have loved to go back at this point, but before he could accept, he saw on the TV that the Habs had just signed hamrlik.

I had no idea that Souray was that close to come back to montreal. He was a favourite of mine, but the way injuries kept derailing him, it's probably best that he didn't come back. Imagine all those years where Markov got hurt and they had to rely on Souray to fill those shoes with that big deal, rather than hamrlik. Hammer brought less offense but he was more complete and far more durable.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I caught some of the knuckles podcast with Sheldon Souray.

Souray talked about his ufa summer back in 2007 and how it unfolded, which I found really interesting.

Basically, he had family issues with his wife and he was aiming for new york or LA as destinations. He was confident he was going to end up in one of those spots, but the Rangers ended up getting two big fish in Drury and gomez on the same day, so they were out.

LA said they would rather use that money on multiple ufas rather than blowing their load on one guy, so they were out.

Now all of a sudden a few days have passed and he's got no team, so Gainey circled back at this point and offered souray a handsome deal to bring him back to montreal. But Gainey said he has another dman lined up and that Souray had 10 minutes to make up his mind.

Souray said that he was happy because he would have loved to go back at this point, but before he could accept, he saw on the TV that the Habs had just signed hamrlik.

I had no idea that Souray was that close to come back to montreal. He was a favourite of mine, but the way injuries kept derailing him, it's probably best that he didn't come back. Imagine all those years where Markov got hurt and they had to rely on Souray to fill those shoes with that big deal, rather than hamrlik. Hammer brought less offense but he was more complete and far more durable.
Hammer was really solid for us.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Disagreed. Gally had a marshmallow for a brain. Habs are not babysitters.
I could be mistaken, but the last time the Habs were a succesful franchise they did, in fact, have an employee who's role was to make sure the youngs kids wouldn't get into trouble when they went out.

Can't remember his name but he's some folkhero in Habs' history, I think Gervais talks about him in his book.

Also, I would pay good money to see how those who say things like "it's up to the players", "Habs are not babysitters" or any other similar things would act as 18yo millionnaires in Montreal.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I could be mistaken, but the last time the Habs were a succesful franchise they did, in fact, have an employee who's role was to make sure the youngs kids wouldn't get into trouble when they went out.

Can't remember his name but he's some folkhero in Habs' history, I think Gervais talks about him in his book.

Also, I would pay good money to see how those who say things like "it's up to the players", "Habs are not babysitters" or any other similar things would act as 18yo millionnaires in Montreal.
“Habs aren’t babysitters” might as well have been our motto. Right up there with “he has to earn it!”

Thank God we have a new regime.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hammer was really solid for us.
Oh I agree. I just found it interesting because I basically thought it was a given that Souray wouldn't be back after he officially entered free agency.

But it sounds like he was actually just a few moments away from re-signing with the Habs.

I'm betting the habs gave Souray the same offer as they gave hammer, which was a massive cap hit at the time. Souray also mentioned the Habs offer was more lucrative than Edmonton, and the highest bidder was actually Washington.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Was this hero around in the 80s too? The Habs a few troublemakers back then, and it seems to me that this mystery person wasn't able to do much.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Was this hero around in the 80s too? The Habs a few troublemakers back then, and it seems to me that this mystery person wasn't able to do much.
What’s the point you’re trying to make?

The last competent management team thought they had to have to someone in that role and so does the current management team, who hired a retired SPVM police officer to handle it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
What’s the point you’re trying to make?

The last competent management team thought they had to have to someone in that role and so does the current management team, who hired a retired SPVM police officer to handle it.

Point being that when the team was winning, they had some all time troublemakers too, and guys who had prominent roles on those winning teams

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Not to make excuses for the overhype but nobody expected Chucky to fall for Chanel and the night life.

Great case study to show all the new prospects like Slaf.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not to make excuses for the overhype but nobody expected Chucky to fall for Chanel and the night life.

Great case study to show all the new prospects like Slaf.
Some of that goes back to the player for sure. He's responsible for his own actions.

But the Canadiens did that group no favours. Bully coach. Misuses the player. Zero communication... so yeah, it's to be expected that there will be some rebellion.

As per my rant above, a Larry Robinson would've greatly helped. We created a terrible environment for these guys.

Doesn't mean Chuck didn't have issues. Doesn't mean he couldn't have handled things better or that he has no responsibility. But God damn we made it so f***ing hard. Just absolutely f***ing stupid how we handled these guys.

Thank f***ing God those jackasses are gone. Now my son my actually have a chance to see us win a cup someday.

Reactions: ngc_5128

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Not sure if it's the right thread but, just heard on 106.9 Trois-Rivières that Jean-Guy Talbot has passed away.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad