Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers) II

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It's been a while since I gave a Mike Cichy update.

During that time, Mike Cichy tied the 35th all-time for points with 364. He'll have a hard time getting to the top 25 this year, but should get into the top 30.

He entered the top 50 for goals (155) and the top 30 for assists (209).

Martin Reway is currently playing in the Slovak league for HC Kosice. He has 3 points in 11 games.

Since retiring in 2016, Louis Leblanc returned to school and finished is B.A. at Harvard. He is currently an analyst at CMA Strategy Consulting in Boston.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Arpon, I would like to introduce you to Saku Koivu.........Romanov's hype is a whisper compared to the hype surrounding Koivu before he came over.

What was the koivu hype based on?

The world juniors? His performance in the Finnish league post draft?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Koivu absolutely dominated the Finnish league in his D+2 season. He lead the league in scoring by a mile, was the MVP and lead his team to a Championship. He also lead his U20 WJC team in scoring the year before and combined for 18 points in 14 games over two tournaments. He was voted as not just the best prospect outside of the NHL but the best player outside of the NHL by THN which was the most highly regarded hockey publication at the time.

Everyone knew who Saku Koivu was and was at the top of every pre season media production by all of the major sports networks. Most people who aren't avid, hard core hockey fans have never even heard of Romanov yet. Romanov's hype is mostly localized to the Hab's fanbase and he isn't even cracking anyone's top ten prospects list.

Imagine if Caufield went to Finland this season and won the scoring title by 2o points, the MVP of the league and MVP of the playoffs where he lead his team to a championship while wearing an "A" on his jersey. Also pretend that Caufield lead his U20 WJC team in scoring the previous season while still producing at over a ppg in the Finnish Elite league. Now picture the hype that Caufield would be receiving in the lead up to his NHL debut......the Romanov hype is fun but there is no comparison to be had at all.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Koivu absolutely dominated the Finnish league in his D+2 season. He lead the league in scoring by a mile, was the MVP and lead his team to a Championship. He also lead his U20 WJC team in scoring the year before and combined for 18 points in 14 games over two tournaments. He was voted as not just the best prospect outside of the NHL but the best player outside of the NHL by THN which was the most highly regarded hockey publication at the time.

Everyone knew who Saku Koivu was and was at the top of every pre season media production by all of the major sports networks. Most people who aren't avid, hard core hockey fans have never even heard of Romanov yet. Romanov's hype is mostly localized to the Hab's fanbase and he isn't even cracking anyone's top ten prospects list.

Imagine if Caufield went to Finland this season and won the scoring title by 2o points, the MVP of the league and MVP of the playoffs where he lead his team to a championship while wearing an "A" on his jersey. Also pretend that Caufield lead his U20 WJC team in scoring the previous season while still producing at over a ppg in the Finnish Elite league. Now picture the hype that Caufield would be receiving in the lead up to his NHL debut......the Romanov hype is fun but there is no comparison to be had at all.

I was quite young during Koivu's early years. But I remember him either leading the NHL in scoring, or being amongst the league leaders, one season, over a small sample size, but then getting a serious knee injury.

Do you think that knee injury affected the rest of his career?

Reactions: Habs13 and dcyhabs

Gael

Aug 21, 2020
I was quite young during Koivu's early years. But I remember him either leading the NHL in scoring, or being amongst the league leaders, one season, over a small sample size, but then getting a serious knee injury.

Without a doubt, Koivu was one of the best player in the league before his injury.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He was leading the league in scoring after 30 games in his sophomore season when he suffered his first serious knee injury and was never as explosive again. He was absolutely electrifying with his speed, agility, hands and elite IQ. He undoubtedly would have continued on to be a super star if he didn't ruin his knees.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He was leading the league in scoring after 30 games in his sophomore season when he suffered his first serious knee injury and was never as explosive again. He was absolutely electrifying with his speed, agility, hands and elite IQ. He undoubtedly would have continued on to be a super star if he didn't ruin his knees.
Absolutely agreed!!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

and played with better line mates than Craig Darby and Brian Savage

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Koivu was destined for super stardom until that knee injury against Calgary. He was leading the league with 56 points in 50 games....he was never the same and became a 55-60 point player. Had a couple of 70 point seasons while surrounded by mostly mediocre players. Also don't forget the bout with cancer. He faced some serious adversity for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs13

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Koivu was destined for super stardom until that knee injury against Dallas. He was leading the league with 56 points in 50 games....he was never the same and became a 55-60 point player. Had a couple of 70 point seasons while surrounded by mostly mediocre players. Also don't forget the bout with cancer. He faced some serious adversity for sure.

Losing the element of super speed, after the knee injury, certainly hurt Koivu's production.

Reactions: Tyson

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Jeff Shantz...took his knee out.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Losing the element of super speed, after the knee injury, certainly hurt Koivu's production.
I was at a game in Carolina many years ago and the guy sitting next to me was a Colorado Avalanche fan and he said Koivu reminded him of a "mini Forsberg"....he marveled at how good Koivu was. The kid was special

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Koivu was destined for super stardom until that knee injury against Calgary. He was leading the league with 56 points in 50 games....he was never the same and became a 55-60 point player. Had a couple of 70 point seasons while surrounded by mostly mediocre players. Also don't forget the bout with cancer. He faced some serious adversity for sure.

Nope. It was Chicago. I remember it like yesterday.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The only thing I remember is that he was considered the best player not playing in the nhl, and before that knee on knee with Jeff Shantz he looked like an elite player.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

It was actually 38 points in 30 games when he was leading the league in scoring and missed 30 games after needing surgery to repair the knee. He returned to put up 18 points in his final 2o games and was clearly not the same player and never was again.

It wasn't just the structural issue with his damaged knees during his career it was the fact that he had to alter the way he played the game so as not to leave his knees vulnerable to being clipped in the midst of sharp lateral cuts. It was the explosive video game like cuts that made him so dangerous before the injuries hit.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I was at a game in Carolina many years ago and the guy sitting next to me was a Colorado Avalanche fan and he said Koivu reminded him of a "mini Forsberg"....he marveled at how good Koivu was. The kid was special

That is exactly what Koivu was. If not for injuries he would be as revered as Forsberg is.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I always laugh at the medias and fans who still say that Saku Koivu was not a number one center in his prime..

Look at his intertionnal career at the Olympics and World Cup

He was the number one center with Finland with Selanne on his wing...and Koivu was always one of the best player in those tournaments.

At his prime in Mtl he never played with number one wingers...

Koivu was a true warrior in playoffs vs Boston etc..

I remember a quote of Martin St Louis just after he won the cup in 2004.

He said that : Koivu hit me hard and hurt me badly on his first shift in game 3 in Mtl.
I remember I was at the Bell Center for this game I dont know why but I was looking at Koivu on the bench..and when he jumped on the ice on his first shift...he did not looked at the puck at all...but his eyes were all on St louis....and man..he hit him hard and the Bell Center exploded.

I spoked with Dandenault the day after he signed with Mtl...and he told me that Koivu was nasty as hell and he hurt him a few times along the boards etc..

He said that he was a real warrior and had the respect of everybody around the league.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

It happened against Chicago. Ughh that was so painful to watch him limp to the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad