Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Anyways the Mccann Gudbranson trade was among Bennings WORST decisions as our GM. And the Gudbranson Pearson trade was among Bennings BEST decisions as our GM. Mccann is younger and faster than Pearson and currently on a cheaper contract. Pearson is relied on in defensive shutdown situations and has more points this year than Mccann.

Got it.

Dead horse brutalized guys, think we all got it

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
From the Pens POV as well. Watch them trade him once they can't afford them. Pay their core players and shuffle noncore players like no-grit Sutter for cheaper options.

Course Rutherford must have been completely drunk to trade for NoGoodbranson AND give us a decent player in return. Best trade by Benning. Should be charge with grand larceny!

To be fair Pearson was hardly playing 'decent' for them. For a supposed 2nd line winger making $4M unable to score on a team with Crosby and Malkin down the middle, still a dumb trade to acquire Gudbranson but you can't blame them for wanting to ditch Pearson.

Reactions: Hit the post

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I only just got around to listening to it, but the interview with Rick Bowness on the Kes and Juice podcast was touching. Both shared stories of how Bowness profoundly impacted their careers, and was a pillar of strength for them at their lows.

Bieksa shared the story of this photo. I think I had seen it before, but I never knew all that was going on.

Bieksa said it was at maybe the low point in his career, when his ice time was diminishing and the trade rumors were swirling. You can see the strain, anxiety, stress, bordering on despair etched on his face. The worn down pose, beads of sweat, and soaked jersey were likely perfectly normal for that time in a practice, but in this photo only serve to emphasize how beaten down Bieksa was feeling. He relates that Bowness came up to him, got on his level, and had a career transforming conversation with him that focused and empowered him.

Really amazing stuff from the podcast. Humorous, but at times it is strikingly grounded and it has already shone such a light on the NHL experience. You need to listen, if you aren't already.

Reactions: vanuck and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I only just got around to listening to it, but the interview with Rick Bowness on the Kes and Juice podcast was touching. Both shared stories of how Bowness profoundly impacted their careers, and was a pillar of strength for them at their lows.

Bieksa shared the story of this photo. I think I had seen it before, but I never knew all that was going on.

Bieksa said it was at maybe the low point in his career, when his ice time was diminishing and the trade rumors were swirling. You can see the strain, anxiety, stress, bordering on despair etched on his face. The worn down pose, beads of sweat, and soaked jersey were likely perfectly normal for that time in a practice, but in this photo only serve to emphasize how beaten down Bieksa was feeling. He relates that Bowness came up to him, got on his level, and had a career transforming conversation with him that focused and empowered him.

Really amazing stuff from the podcast. Humorous, but at times it is strikingly grounded and it has already shone such a light on the NHL experience. You need to listen, if you aren't already.

Bowness was a very respected assistant coach and I think that illustrates why. I'm glad he's getting a chance to be a head coach again.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Apparently Jared McCann was a very toxic presence in the room

there were articles and posts arresting to that fact as the trade went down

seems like Jimbo was more or less forced into unloading him,

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

If an immature 19 year old is so toxic he needs to be offloaded for pennies on the dollar then I (somehow) see even less value in any sort of veteran mentorship that this team has overpaid to bring in. Like how could the dressing room be this fragile?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

Well, ignoring your argument about Jimbo being forced to do anything which is completely ridiculous, who the hell knows how McCann was in the dressing room? Even if there was a grain of truth to the rumor that he was a cancer in the dressing room what exactly are you talking about? Are we to believe McCann was so disruptive to the team of veterans that he needed to go? That's crazy. I like to get away from calling crap media reports substantive.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If an immature 19 year old is so toxic he needs to be offloaded for pennies on the dollar then I (somehow) see even less value in any sort of veteran mentorship that this team has overpaid to bring in. Like how could the dressing room be this fragile?
So fragile management would want a cancer like Lucic (when Ryan Miller was still on the team) on the Canucks. Horse****.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah this whole toxic locker room culture **** is way overblown.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sad indictment on the leadership group if they can't help get a 19 year old on track. Where's the pulling the kid aside or having some serious talk with him outside the rink. No inviting him over to stay with them for a few days to see what they do away from the rink to see what it takes to have a long career?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Fans in this city are Hypocrites. Decry any veteran like Edler/Hamhuis/Sedins who want to stay cause they want draft picks/prospects for them in a trade, yet when guys like Kesler want out cause they want to win and be a major contributor to that win they get stomped on for being selfish. Kesler was also one of the leaders of the home town discount during the peak years.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Fans in this city are Hypocrites. Decry any veteran like Edler/Hamhuis/Sedins who want to stay cause they want draft picks/prospects for them in a trade, yet when guys like Kesler want out cause they want to win and be a major contributor to that win they get stomped on for being selfish. Kesler was also one of the leaders of the home town discount during the peak years.
Irony is that the Ducks finished less than 10 more points than the Canucks that first year Kesler was in Anaheim.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

The biggest evidence of this came from Beth Bartkowski and Andrey Pedan. I don't put any stock into their opinions.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
gillis on 1040: much of the story is untold or told inaccurately. it’s unfortunate that sometimes you can only tell the story accurately at the expense of someone else and i won’t do that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lol...on which is the player being put in crucial situations. Totally ignores that McCann has been used as a checking/shutdown *center* earlier his NHL career.
With the acquisition of Zucker, see if the Pens can afford to retain both Kahun and McCann in the summer.

9F, 6D, 1G (16 players) under contract for about $69 million. Around $15 mill left to get 7 more players under contract. Murray is RFA coming off $3.75 mill per. DeSmith is under contract and Jarry is also a RFA. If Murray is brought back in the $4 plus mill range, leaves under $11 mill left for the 6 skaters. But, JR is a wheeler dealer GM who can make moves as he was able to move all of Gudbranson's contract for nothing.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
With the acquisition of Zucker, see if the Pens can afford to retain both Kahun and McCann in the summer
Rutherford dealt Sutter when he became too expensive a luxury. And he turned him into Bonino (who played a fairly significant role in the postseason for at least one of their Cups at a far cheaper price). I suspect the same will happen with McCann. Pay your elite players the big money and hope you have enough cap space to fill out the rest of the roster (something the Leafs can’t seem to do). Opposite approach of Benning. Overpay (often by a huge amount) supporting cast and or replacement level players and hope you can draft enough elite guys on ELCs to fill out your roster.

Can’t explain Rutherford being suckered into obtaining Guds though. Home run trade by Benning here. Best move by our GM by a country mile (that wasn’t related to amateur scouting).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rutherford dealt Sutter when he became too expensive a luxury. And he turned him into Bonino (who played a fairly significant role in the postseason for at least one of their Cups at a far cheaper price). I suspect the same will happen with McCann. Pay your elite players the big money and hope you have enough cap space to fill out the rest of the roster (something the Leafs can’t seem to do). Opposite approach of Benning. Overpay (often by a huge amount) supporting cast and or replacement level players and hope you can draft enough elite guys on ELCs to fill out your roster.

Can’t explain Rutherford being suckered into obtaining Guds though. Home run trade by Benning here. Best move by our GM by a country mile (that wasn’t related to amateur scouting).
Right philosophy to take. Benning didn't have elite players in their prime (all aging guys). But, he was too careless with his spending. Kept adding to the mistakes before getting rid of any. He's tabbed the likes of Sutter (2C), Sven, Eriksson, Ferland as top 6 forwards and they really are not. That's $17.5 mill or so spent there on a miscalculation of their roles. Can be wrong on either term or dollars, not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad