Former Canucks: Players & Management - Part 2 (The Ben Hutton Sweepstakes are over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Best of luck to Vigneault in Philly and at the Worlds. One of the best coaches - if not the best, it’d be between him and Quinn - we ever had. Watched a video of him and Julien going back and forth over the Marchand/Salo incident, and I miss just how eloquent he could be when he was passionately defending his players. Same thing when the Canucks and CBC got into it over Burrows - Vigneault could have been a lawyer with the way he stood up for Burrows.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Best of luck to Vigneault in Philly and at the Worlds. One of the best coaches - if not the best, it’d be between him and Quinn - we ever had. Watched a video of him and Julien going back and forth over the Marchand/Salo incident, and I miss just how eloquent he could be when he was passionately defending his players. Same thing when the Canucks and CBC got into it over Burrows - Vigneault could have been a lawyer with the way he stood up for Burrows.

Same, wish him all the best with Philly too. I may not have liked how things ended here in Vancouver but he is definitely one of the best coaches this franchise has ever had and I'd be glad to see him win a Cup too.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sentimentally I have to reserve a special place for Roger Neilson. And of course give a honorable mention to Phil Maloney.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Sentimentally I have to reserve a special place for Roger Neilson. And of course give a honorable mention to Phil Maloney.

I’d love to see the Canucks organization pay homage/tribute to the WHL Canucks. There’s a rich, winning history there peppered with Hall of Famers and championships that has largely been left to collect dust on a shelf. Those old blue jerseys with “CANUCKS” written across the front would make a great third jersey, and they could really honour a guy like Maloney who not only was such a great player for that team, but a great coach for the NHL Canucks as well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’d love to see the Canucks organization pay homage/tribute to the WHL Canucks. There’s a rich, winning history there peppered with Hall of Famers and championships that has largely been left to collect dust on a shelf. Those old blue jerseys with “CANUCKS” written across the front would make a great third jersey, and they could really honour a guy like Maloney who not only was such a great player for that team, but a great coach for the NHL Canucks as well.

Phil Maloney is still alive at age 91 and should be the next inductee into the Canucks’ Ring of Honour.

However, because it’s not a trendy induction and won’t sell tickets, it won’t happen.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Phil Maloney is still alive at age 91 and should be the next inductee into the Canucks’ Ring of Honour.

However, because it’s not a trendy induction and won’t sell tickets, it won’t happen.
He’s still alive? Good to hear. I thought he was really old back then (course being a young squirt, I thought anybody over 18 was an old fart - now the shoe is on the other foot :laugh:).

He had a pretty tough position as both GM and head coach of the team. Probably couldn’t spend a lot of money either. Competition (such as it was) from the WHA made the job even tougher.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I loved his rebuttal to Bolland (I think it was, or Marchand?) - “his brain is the size of a bird seed and he has a face only his mother could love” loool

Reactions: vanuck

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I loved his rebuttal to Bolland (I think it was, or Marchand?) - “his brain is the size of a bird seed and he has a face only his mother could love” loool

That was to Dave Bolland. Bolland joined Seguin and Benn as guys who inexplicably decided to make rude, unsolicited comments about the Sedin Twins during radio interviews.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
meanwhile, jay bouwmeester is in the second round for the third straight year.

he was months away from turning thirty before he played his first playoff game and he now more career playoff games than markus naslund.

Major difference being that Bouwmeester was actually good.

Reactions: vanuck

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Anyone else blocked by Corey Hirsch on Twitter? I don’t think I’ve ever even interacted with him... seriously just because I don’t like management? o_O

The quicker they move on from Hirsch as a color guy the better. He's terrible and not getting better. In fact he's worse precisely because he's not getting better so the listener gets annoyed faster. Good on him for dealing with his demons but this isn't the line of work he should be in.

But yes I'm sure it's because you make fun of management because his head is firmly entrenched in Bennings' rear end.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Anyone else blocked by Corey Hirsch on Twitter? I don’t think I’ve ever even interacted with him... seriously just because I don’t like management? o_O
I got blocked by him just because I posted this:

forsberg-stamp.jpg

Dude had no sense of humor.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Jyrki21

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So, our leadership core of the twins, Sutter, Edler, Miller, etc. couldn't set him straight? Isn't that what you expect from them? Like talk to the kids one on one or in a small group, not just call them out in the media like Henrik did.
Twins = management/ownership destroyed what relationship was left between them and the 2011 core during the 2015 summer of slashing where Jimbo completely gutted our top 6 by trading Bonez and leaving Vrbata without a C to play with and gutted our locker room by a) trading KB3-Kass-Lack and b) trying to force a torch passing from the 2011 core to a bunch of clueless kids.

Sutter = glorified 4C never-was and a bit of an idiot. Nice guy probably but definitely not a guy McCann would respect

Edler =
like the Sedins.... does his leading on the ice and not in the dressing room.

Miller
= was just happy to be here collecting dat 6M a year and definitely had no illusions of being in any type of leadership rule. Got no problem at all with how he played and will always remember when he stood up for Stecher against POS Matt Martin.

In 2015, management/ownership treated the vets like trash and the youngsters like gold and as a result, completely divided the locker room, stealth tanked the team 26 points and catastrophically effed up the rookie years of McCann and Virtanen.

The first round 1-2-3-4 loss to the Flames would be a plausible explanation for management's attitude that summer.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

I got blocked by him just because I posted this:

forsberg-stamp.jpg

Dude had no sense of humor.:sarcasm:

Hm, seems like less than I did without getting blocked.

I blocked Corey Hirsch a long time ago. His tweets hurt my brain.

I did that with A&W, was in a discussion with him once which got so stupid I had to block him. I pardoned him a while ago but just dont interact with him if I can avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad