Former Bruins Shayne Stevenson joins lawsuit accuses coach Milbury

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I figured being Milbury involved it would be an easy pile-on versus the "everyone is looking to make a buck nowadays" crowd, but alas I was wrong. Wonder if they even know who Shayne Stevenson is?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This suit is a disgrace.

The guy played and collected a check up to 2001.

He has approximately 300 PIM in around a season worth of games from 1992-94 yet the 18 games he played for Boston and Milbury is what did it.

I'm beyond skeptical.

This is pretty outrageous and might have some merit if not for about the hundreds and hundreds of PIM and fights he got after

Zero sympathy and the lawyer is probably his cousin twice removed

I don't always agree with Fire Sweeney but when I do I prefer having a dos Equis while I type it

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Lawsuit says he was knocked out - I don't think so

You don't see him eating some huge shots? It looked like the fight where Kevan Miller destroyed that guy but he just didn't fall down. He gets stung pretty clearly.

Baumer was a great fighter thats a pretty tough ask for a guy supposed to be on the team for his hockey skills. Sinden is a dirtbag I'd expect him to love anything that involves shortening a players career nothing that creep hated more than the players getting paid him and Milbury probably wanted to the guy to play 2 days later because he lost the fight and was a disappointing pick. Cash grab not withstanding these old punching bags have a point good for them if they can squeeze some money out of the establishment.

The only fights I want to see are ones like Malkin-Bergeron.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This suit is a disgrace.

The guy played and collected a check up to 2001.

I wouldn't be so sure about that or at least the collecting a check part.... I checked his hockeydb since I thought he was the Stevenson who played for the Habs in the 90s and honestly wouldn't be surprised if he actually had to pay for icetime like mens league on some of those teams such as the Utica Blizzard or San Angelo OUtlaws.:laugh::laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't be so sure about that or at least the collecting a check part.... I checked his hockeydb since I thought he was the Stevenson who played for the Habs in the 90s and honestly wouldn't be surprised if he actually had to pay for icetime like mens league on some of those teams such as the Utica Blizzard or San Angelo OUtlaws.:laugh::laugh:

I started going to 40+ games a year in 1983 and remember Stevenson well- both them drafting him and on the Bruins. The Keith Tkachuk comp was the talk when he showed up at camp. Um no.

I think he went in the draft but not sure but he went to Tampa so maybe that was around that time.

This is comical. If he never played again like Moore after Bertuzzi jumped him that is one thing.

My opinion on this message board is this is a farce.

My spouse is a lawyer (BC law grad- a good school) so I'll ask her about what she thinks of this because she isn't afraid to rail on lawyers being d bags:laugh:

I would think Stevenson would be better off being those $10 Bruins lottery tickets they been selling (btw- I have probably bought 10 in my life and not a penny.....I think every time someone scratches one and gets zip Jeremy Jacobs hears a bell ring and laughs- and yah, I know its not his money that is paid out)

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I started going to 40+ games a year in 1983 and remember Stevenson well- both them drafting him and on the Bruins. The Keith Tkachuk comp was the talk when he showed up at camp. Um no.

I think he went in the draft but not sure but he went to Tampa so maybe that was around that time.

This is comical. If he never played again like Moore after Bertuzzi jumped him that is one thing.

My opinion on this message board is this is a farce.

My spouse is a lawyer (BC law grad- a good school) so I'll ask her about what she thinks of this because she isn't afraid to rail on lawyers being d bags:laugh:

I would think Stevenson would be better off being those $10 Bruins lottery tickets they been selling (btw- I have probably bought 10 in my life and not a penny.....I think every time someone scratches one and gets zip Jeremy Jacobs hears a bell ring and laughs- and yah, I know its not his money that is paid out)

Your most likely correct and Im sure only Stevenson knows and even then he might be remembering things differently and how he wants to remember them even the trainer at the time can't be relied upon to remember a conversation from 25 years ago with a random prospect.

Sports aren't always fair Jordan Caron would probably still be a Bruin if he was willing to fight every now and again (and would have a long term deal and maybe even be popular if he was good at it.) Id probably like him more.

Eh I know what its like to lose a job and be fired for a bs reason losing a fight to Ken Baumgartner is something I can see being a little ticked about.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Love that money.

I try to remain a realist. Hey, with the concussion buzz permeating sports...it's gonna happen. Whatever. Have a go.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

I would have told coaches, "Okay...your call. I'll give you what I can." Then I would have covered my butt out there.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
You don't see him eating some huge shots? It looked like the fight where Kevan Miller destroyed that guy but he just didn't fall down. He gets stung pretty clearly.

He got tuned pretty good, but to me (and, I think, most people) "knocked out" means lost conciousness. He does not appear to have lost consciousness at all (no head droop, no loss of balance, etc). I have no problem believing he was concussed. I also have no problem beliveing that Millbury & Sinden behaved exactly as he says.

Regardless, I didn't remember him so I looked him up on hockeydb. He played for quite a while afterward, but not at the NHL/AHL level.
I have to suspect that he is having CTE issues now, and is joining the lawsuit to get whatever small payout he can.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Not sure I see much basis behind Stevenson's claim.

That being said, I really don't like Milbury, just from what I can see as a person.

Years ago, eliminating fighting was "wussifying" the game. Now, he says the NHL needs to "grow up and just get rid of it".

Basically, he's going to have complete 180's on his opinions, and chastise and patronize the other side of the argument even if he himself felt that way the day before.

The guy just comes off a petty attention ***** to me, who's ego tells him he's a hell of a lot smarter than he really is.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Not overly surprised by this. Wasn't it just a year or two ago that Mad Mike complained that the sport was being 'wussified'? Definitely a different time back then.

Yet he was the guy that wussified the Bruins. Milbury is just a bag of hot air that tries to stay relevant with outrageous statements. Years ago the game was being wussified, last year fighting needed to be banned, tomorrow it will be something new to try to let this moron keep a job.

Awful player, worse coach, quite possibly the worst GM in the history of hockey and a terrible broadcaster, Milbury has done it all, he has just done all of it extraordinarily badly.

Vdub

Live Free or Die
Dec 21, 2013
Went to high school with Shayne( Grade 12 KCI). He strutted like a tough guy because he played for the Kitchener Rangers. He was also lazy and lethargic when you saw him.
Not the sharpest of tacks on the bulletin board :laugh:
Hated when the Bruins called his name.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
This would be a laughable statement if it wasn't so awful.

Another condescending remark without giving your own opinion.

He played for 15 more seasons after this with 100's of fights and only played for 19 games as a Bruin.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Not sure I see much basis behind Stevenson's claim.

That being said, I really don't like Milbury, just from what I can see as a person.

Years ago, eliminating fighting was "wussifying" the game. Now, he says the NHL needs to "grow up and just get rid of it".

Basically, he's going to have complete 180's on his opinions, and chastise and patronize the other side of the argument even if he himself felt that way the day before.

The guy just comes off a petty attention ***** to me, who's ego tells him he's a hell of a lot smarter than he really is.

I can't criticize someone for thinking one way at 30 and another way at 50. That's normal.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yet he was the guy that wussified the Bruins. Milbury is just a bag of hot air that tries to stay relevant with outrageous statements. Years ago the game was being wussified, last year fighting needed to be banned, tomorrow it will be something new to try to let this moron keep a job.

Awful player, worse coach, quite possibly the worst GM in the history of hockey and a terrible broadcaster, Milbury has done it all, he has just done all of it extraordinarily badly.

Couldn't agree more. I called him out on WEEI several years ago about his "turn the other cheek" style of coaching with the Bruins and he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Couldn't agree more. I called him out on WEEI several years ago about his "turn the other cheek" style of coaching with the Bruins and he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about.

He absolutely preached this.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I can't criticize someone for thinking one way at 30 and another way at 50. That's normal.

That's fine, opinions change over 20 years, not a year or two on something he was suppose to be so outraged about. It was a season or two on NBC that he went from complaining about wussification to demanding fighting be banned.

When he was on the instigators and playing to a Bruins audience, that for the most part likes physical hockey with fighting, he was pro fighting and liked tough hockey, on NBCSN he was playing to a different audience and had a different tune, which doesn't even bring into account his head coaching, where he took a tough Bruins team and turned them into a team that let Ulf Samuelson run Cam Neely with no response from his teammates and wouldn't let his player fight back and preached take the power play. The Bruins cup final team of 1990 would have beaten Edmonton if they had any guts whatsoever, they had no push back vs Edmonton (they also couldn't solve Ranford)

He's a joke, always has been always will be.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Oh, it was like a year or two separation.

I'm certainly not criticizing the guy for changing. I'm criticizing the petty part of his personality that feels the need to antagonize anyone who doesn't share his same strong opinion. It looks especially stupid when he himself flips to the other side of issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad