Former Bruins Shayne Stevenson joins lawsuit accuses coach Milbury

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Not overly surprised by this. Wasn't it just a year or two ago that Mad Mike complained that the sport was being 'wussified'? Definitely a different time back then.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He must have had special coach/GM hybrid super powers? :laugh:

I'm just passing along info, don't shoot the messenger. Who was the GM at the time anyway?

bruins-sinden1.jpg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The thing is today we know so much more about the damage concussion can do to the human brain. I'm not sure that was true 24 years ago which is why I am wary of these lawsuits.

Czerk

Feb 13, 2007
Riverview
The thing is today we know so much more about the damage concussion can do to the human brain. I'm not sure that was true 24 years ago which is why I am wary of these lawsuits.

Players know this today and they still play the sport.. They want the money... it comes with risks... which is why they get the pay they get if the make it.. a risk for sure.. if you don't want the risk and the reward, you don't have to go for a pro career in any sport.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Cash grab by the lawyer class. Stevenson will get 1/2 of the settlement and taxes will get the rest. Sad day Shane.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not a knock out. These players looking for an easy cash grab are a joke.

Considering what some of these players are dealing with post-career I would not call it easy cash.

25 years from now I think the NHL will still be around but the NFL is another matter.

The day is going to come when first high schools and then colleges won't be able to get medical insurance for players and many will drop the sport.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Considering what some of these players are dealing with post-career I would not call it easy cash.

25 years from now I think the NHL will still be around but the NFL is another matter.

The day is going to come when first high schools and then colleges won't be able to get medical insurance for players and many will drop the sport.

Especially now that they have begun talking about the accumulative damage of lower impact trauma collisions that lineman endure 50 or 60 times a game.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Especially now that they have begun talking about the accumulative damage of lower impact trauma collisions that lineman endure 50 or 60 times a game.

Many scoff that football as we know it could vanish but the possibilities of huge legal settlements down the road could change everything.

I had a Doctor tell me years ago that he used to treat members of the Boston Patriots and most linemen by the end of the season were playing with cracked or broken ribs and all they did was tape them up.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I had a Doctor tell me years ago that he used to treat members of the Boston Patriots and most linemen by the end of the season were playing with cracked or broken ribs and all they did was tape them up.

Well that is really the only thing you can do with broken ribs. Doesn't mean they should be playing with broken ribs, but there is no other treatment.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Well that is really the only thing you can do with broken ribs. Doesn't mean they should be playing with broken ribs, but there is no other treatment.

Wonder what's under the cranium if the ribs are breaking.

biggles8

Jan 30, 2007
Cape Cod
Lawsuit says he was knocked out - I don't think so

In all fairness to the guy you can be moving around afterwards and be very much knocked out .
Just because he's not out cold doesn't mean he wasn't out of his senses then . I have no dog in this fight but I'm just saying you can moving and walking and talking and have no idea what's going on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad