Former Bruins fan rips Mayor of Glendale

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
That fan spoke with emotion, not logic.
The CoG is finally getting their crap together. The Coyotes should've been gone/folded/moved years ago. The NHL has only stayed, while the well had water in it..... now it's almost dry.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
That fan spoke with emotion, not logic.
The CoG is finally getting their crap together. The Coyotes should've been gone/folded/moved years ago. The NHL has only stayed, while the well had water in it..... now it's almost dry.

I disagree with part of what you have said... The placement of the team is the problem. If they had located in central phoenix, or south scottsdale, they would have much better fan support, if not a near sell outs every game. Its an hour drive, and more in traffic to get to the west side from where the majority of the hockey fans are. Hockey is booming in the valley with 6 youth organizations all comprised of about 20-25 teams, and every rink has an adult league, learn to play, and there are even 2 junior programs.

Phoenix is a great town for an NHL team, Glendale is not. I'd be a season ticket holder if they were within a 20 mile drive, and i know I am not alone in that thinking.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
This was posted by Killion in the HF Boards Business of Hockey section ( some really good stuff there)

Anyway...I thought I would post this as it is a great recap of the situation..

"Not a "Glendale Folk" but regardless... if it wasnt for bad luck they wouldnt have had any luck at all. Really from the time they landed in 96, just one mistake after another. Burke & Gluckstern signing a one way lease that heavily favored big time Phoenix booster & NBA Suns owner / arena developer Jerry Colangelo. Built for Basketball. Great location, lousy sightlines, had to move. Scottsdale 1st choice but no, then owner Ellman refused to provide any bona-fides to that cities Council. Sells it to Glendale instead & they bit hard. Arena opens in 2004 & BAM!. NHL Lockout. Any momentum they had in transitioning from the then called AWA downtown pretty much evaporating. This was then followed by the Gretzky era, absolutely dreadful, missing the Playoffs, losers.... then the market crash & sub prime mortgage meltdown, majority Coyotes owner & Westgate Developer Steve Ellman way behind building schedule, Moyes becoming the reluctant owner (no sports let alone hockey background, inherited the team having lent Ellman all kinds of cash to get caught up with Westgate) then his trucking & transportation empire crashing, the BK, Hostile Relo move, NHL ownership, and now this. While location not ideal its just everything really. No one single "thing" & certainly you cant just blame it all on its suburban location. Everything that could go wrong has and then some, well beyond."

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
I disagree with part of what you have said... The placement of the team is the problem. If they had located in central phoenix, or south scottsdale, they would have much better fan support, if not a near sell outs every game. Its an hour drive, and more in traffic to get to the west side from where the majority of the hockey fans are. Hockey is booming in the valley with 6 youth organizations all comprised of about 20-25 teams, and every rink has an adult league, learn to play, and there are even 2 junior programs.

Phoenix is a great town for an NHL team, Glendale is not. I'd be a season ticket holder if they were within a 20 mile drive, and i know I am not alone in that thinking.

I hate the travel time argument. Have you tried getting anywhere in Boston between 5 and 7. Any travel method?

The 3 hour traffic sure hurts the Patriots too...

Arizona is poor in support in all sports.

NFL - 18th out of 32, 96% capacity
MLB - 26th out of 30, 54% capacity
NBA - 22nd out of 30, 91% capacity
NHL - 28th out of 30, 77% capacity

Ranks are by % capacity.

This doesn't even touch on how badly they are losing money and propped up by the leagues.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Ronda is one of my closest friends and as genuine a person as you will ever meet. Her passion for this team is apparent and not misplaced at all. The city is wrong in this instance. They made a **** deal and found a loop hole that they are trying to exploit. Its a shame. I was getting used to seeing the Bruins for $50 when they came to town, about 1/3 of what it cost in Boston to get the cheap seats.

As for Ronda, she is not a "former" Bruins fan. She still loves her first team, but has grown to love the Coyotes since she came to live here and as a season ticket holder. She is one hell of a hockey player too, all of 5" tall and barely 100lbs.. she terrorizes much larger men with her ferocity, and talk about a beauty.. Sigh. <3

I hope that the Coyotes find a solution to stay here in AZ. Hockey is actually growing here, pretty fast and with the Mathews kid set to go top 3 in the draft next year, AZ hockey products are starting to get noticed. It would be a shame to lose them, but I was not in favor of them settling in Glendale in the first place. The should be in South Scottsdale.. Attendance would be MUCH higher.

Way to go Ronda! I Love you and your passion, bunches!

She single?

I'd relocate..... just need too ditch the 'other' jersey.... ;)

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Relocate the team and end the dumb AZ experiment. Next years 1st overall is the only success AZ will have when it comes to hockey. Actually aren't the sun devils in the Div 1 now?

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Relocate the team and end the dumb AZ experiment. Next years 1st overall is the only success AZ will have when it comes to hockey. Actually aren't the sun devils in the Div 1 now?

Arizona State just went D1 hockey and will be very good pretty quickly - easy place to recruit!

I think Arizona needs more time with hockey and its a shame there isn't a team in Quebec.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
You're right, my bad. After all, who am I to interfere with the defining of "fandom" by those who find themselves in such positions of authority.

If she moved from Arizona to Boston as a die hard Yotes fan and declared her love for the Bruins guys would be in love. Boston fans take everything as some sort of slight that warrants a response.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Arizona State just went D1 hockey and will be very good pretty quickly - easy place to recruit!

I think Arizona needs more time with hockey and its a shame there isn't a team in Quebec.

I'd like to have the Nords back, more teams in Canada is something I'm okay with. Seattle as well, that'd be fun.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
If she moved from Arizona to Boston as a die hard Yotes fan and declared her love for the Bruins guys would be in love. Boston fans take everything as some sort of slight that warrants a response.

I actually think it's rather creepy how mouth watering some of you guys are acting over some random girl simply for liking hockey and being attractive.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Keith Olbermann rips her to shreds and then at the very end he says he now knows why she is misguided.......:rant::rant: (it has to do with the Bruins)

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I have no horse in this race, but fyi...."shes got spunk" is incredibly condescending and demeaning.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
FYI, just to clarify, when I said "BRING HER TO ME", I was envisioning that in a Stephen Colbert kind of way - like he was playing a YouTube of someone and wants him/her as a guest. I have no designs on her in "that" way whatsoever; our choice in teams is incompatible in more than one way. It was just my way of appreciating her passion for her team - I always enjoy a good rabble-rouser.

I can see why both parties aren't satisfied, and I can appreciate the plight of fans like her who have supported the team. Going for the impossible "hockey in the desert" may not be practical, but sometimes it's good to tilt at windmills. It's how we reached the moon. If hockey's going to solidify itself as a national sport, it needs strongholds in all corners of the country, first. Plus, it's easy to support a winning team. Coyote fans aren't bandwagoners by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, I get taxpayer frustration. A team that averages about 3 playoff games per year (about 1.5 playoff home games per year) won't get support from sales - be it tickets, jerseys, etc. That money will come from a (partially unwilling) public.

I admire her - I could definitely envision a slew of Lou Grants on the other side of the podium looking at her, so, yes, the MTM reference was not unappreciated...even if it makes me feel old. Now I've got to go take my vitameatavegamin and shake my fist at the kiddies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This Coyote mess is years past it`s best before date

One of Bettman`s most misguided enterprises and his ego is too big to admit it was a horrific decision and move on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad