Former Bruins fan rips Mayor of Glendale

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
She's got spunk

It was surprising the Mayor said they didn't agree on the lease. I felt like I've seen him at many many games. Who pays for those tickets? I pay for every single one. I don't understand how a Mayor is so worried about the finances of his city and then I want to know know if he's getting a free ride? I've heard from lots of different people -- either on Facebook, Twitter, or fan message boards. Those messages all voiced that same thing. The Mayor says he's supportive, but is he paying for his tickets?

Look at the Super Bowl. Why did the NFL move all their extra-curricular events to Scottsdale? It could’ve been a huge revenue thing for the City of Glendale. I want to know why! He made a public stink about not getting Super Bowl tickets. I happen to be from New England. I would’ve killed for Super Bowl tickets. It would've been $2,000 each for me and my dad. And (then) he didn’t want to shell out the money to go, so he makes a donation to charity, but did he do that because of perception?

I was born and raised a (Boston) Bruins fan. I would go to hockey games when I was younger. Always loved the sport. I play hockey, too. I play a couple of times a week. Always been really into hockey. When we got a team here (in Arizona), I went to the arena and watched games and just became more and more of a Coyotes fan. It's funny. I used to be die-hard Bruins fan and now this is my team. Love them or hate them, I support them.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/qa-with-arizona-coyotes-fan-ronda-pearson/

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
She's got spunk but she just doesn't get it. The city is in a raw deal, they should definitely renegotiate the terms of the 'lease'.
The whole thing was set up to help the team get their finances in order , so the city invests 15 million a year to manage the arena and turn a profit. But since there is no profit the city only gets back half that.
The Coyotes got one of the sweetest deals in pro-sports for the last 2 years. They sound like spoiled children whining that life ain't fair because politician doesn't want to fork over more tax payer dollars to millionaires running a lousy business.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
And there is a team there...why?

If it's not viable now, after so many resuscitations, then perhaps it is time to DNR. I know that this isn't what the current issue is, but still...this is ridiculous.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Not sure how you're a 'die-hard Bruins' fan, then a fan of another team because you live close to them. I could live on the moon, but thats not going to change my allegiance..

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
Ronda is one of my closest friends and as genuine a person as you will ever meet. Her passion for this team is apparent and not misplaced at all. The city is wrong in this instance. They made a **** deal and found a loop hole that they are trying to exploit. Its a shame. I was getting used to seeing the Bruins for $50 when they came to town, about 1/3 of what it cost in Boston to get the cheap seats.

As for Ronda, she is not a "former" Bruins fan. She still loves her first team, but has grown to love the Coyotes since she came to live here and as a season ticket holder. She is one hell of a hockey player too, all of 5" tall and barely 100lbs.. she terrorizes much larger men with her ferocity, and talk about a beauty.. Sigh. <3

I hope that the Coyotes find a solution to stay here in AZ. Hockey is actually growing here, pretty fast and with the Mathews kid set to go top 3 in the draft next year, AZ hockey products are starting to get noticed. It would be a shame to lose them, but I was not in favor of them settling in Glendale in the first place. The should be in South Scottsdale.. Attendance would be MUCH higher.

Way to go Ronda! I Love you and your passion, bunches!

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Tons of fans of other teams in Phoenix who would go to more games with the arena in a better location.

Hope the Coyotes stay I think they will get a chance to be around when the Vegas team opens play in a couple years assuming they don't become the Vegas team. Every arena doesn't have to sell out every game their attendance isn't that bad Ive been to a game midweek against an average team it was OK Ive seen way way worse (100x better than Boston College basketball or Cleveland Indians baseball) it was legit 60% full with a good vibe not a morgue.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That was outstanding, Ronda is outstanding....I'd have no problem if Don Sweeney's eventual:sarcasm: personnel changes had her as one of Claude's assitants....love to see her rip into the Bruins between periods after getting out hit by the Red Wings

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Not sure how you're a 'die-hard Bruins' fan, then a fan of another team because you live close to them. I could live on the moon, but thats not going to change my allegiance..

I'm a fan of hockey first and foremost. I'm a Bruins fan now because I have lived in New England 99% of my life. I have a feeling geography probably plays a part in that. Perhaps I have a much more lax definition of die-hard, but I'd consider myself a die-hard Bruins fan. If this woman grew up a Bruins fan, her passion for hockey is probably strong, and not going to go away if she moves. Sure, she'll still loves the Bruins but if she wants to watch some local hockey, and don't want to fly to see it, she became a fan of her new local team. I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure she still likes/loves the Bruins, and would probably deep down still root for them if the SC was between the Coyotes and the Bruins... but if you move to an area, you have a new local team. It's not exactly like Arizona has a heated rivalry against the Bruins, she lives in Arizona and is supporting the team near her.

I was a little kid when I grew up watching the Whalers. They left and became some team down South, which I have no reason to want to follow. Some may even think it blasphemous that I eventually converted over to the other New England team, the Bruins. But I live in Boston and have followed the team ever since I've lived here for my whole adult life. If I moved to New York instead of Boston, maybe I would have ended up a Rangers or an Islanders fan. I personally don't understand how people that aren't geographically near a team can even end up being die-hards, but I know they exist, and they are fans nonetheless. Possibly even bigger fans than me. But overall we all want to see the same end result with the team.

Anyways, when I visit new cities, I like to check out games in those cities, I even buy pucks for my dad for all NHL cities I've visited. Point being, I want to support hockey, because if there's hockey in that city, I get to watch it. If I ever moved to any of those cities, I would probably even follow those teams, too, but I'd still be a B's fan, the same way I still am a fan of the Whalers (Not the Canes, RIP the Whale).

Rant done.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
As for Ronda, she is not a "former" Bruins fan. She still loves her first team, but has grown to love the Coyotes since she came to live here and as a season ticket holder. She is one hell of a hockey player too, all of 5" tall and barely 100lbs.. she terrorizes much larger men with her ferocity, and talk about a beauty.. Sigh. <3

Thanks for posting this. It needed to be said. Some people aren't happy unless they're raining on someone's parade.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Is not raining on a parade. The organization needs to leave AZ and how can you "used" to be a die hard fan? Doesn't sound very die hard.

You're right, my bad. After all, who am I to interfere with the defining of "fandom" by those who find themselves in such positions of authority.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Look. I'm a fan of the Bruins. But if I moved to virtually any NHL city other than Montreal, I'm likely following their team for most of the season, because I love hockey as well, and I don't have the time or the energy to watch 164 games a year (this is hockey, not $*$*#@#$ baseball!).

There's no dissonance there. Like many transplants in Florida, I'd root for my "new team" 77-80 games out of the year, and give the Bruins priority when they play my new team....with the exception that I'm allowed to root for my new team against the Bruins late in the season if my new team needs a win to make the playoffs, and the Bs already have the Presidents' Cup (or various situations similar to that).

If this makes me a cold, heartless, logical human being, so be it. It's only hockey - why you heff be mad?

As for Rhonda - BRING HER TO ME!!! She does have spunk. Unlike Lou, I like spunk. Frankly, I don't know enough about the AZ situation to go one way or another, but she's passionate.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I dunno. I currently reside in DC and I do enjoy following/going to Caps games, but yet I grew up in NE for most of my life, with the bruins always being my number one team. So I guess I'm not a "diehard" fan by some of the standards stated here. Alrighty then.

I like this girls passion. It's a shame as to what the city is doing, but I think if a better product would be put on the ice then they wouldn't be in this position.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Thanks for posting this. It needed to be said. Some people aren't happy unless they're raining on someone's parade.

I'm not raining on anyone's parade. Just pointing out geography wouldn't change my 'die hard' fandom. Nothing wrong with being a fan of the team you live near, or going to other games.

Just made a comment based on the quote SHE gave.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The city is wrong in this instance. They made a **** deal and found a loop hole that they are trying to exploit.

Don't see how the city is wrong... Horrible deal made only to help the team, yet the team still screwed it up. There's a way out as written in the contract so the city is trying to save the tax payers millions of dollars a year. Joe Taxpayer should not be forking over money to a professional sports franchise year in and year out because they can't make a go of it.

I think 9 out of 10 people in Boston would swap mayors with Glendale in a heartbeat.

As far as rooting for another team. Don't see the big deal. I'd totally adopt another team if I moved. The B's would be in my heart but I'd enjoy hockey in another city except for Pittsburgh, Montreal, maybe Vancouver... but I think Vancouver seems to have come down from pretending to be Montreal.. so I might give them a shot. Most Hockey fans are cool as heck and I've been made to feel very welcome in other barns.
Heck the world would be a better place if people were open to new alliances and points of view.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Didn't the lawyer that organized the deal for Glendale become a Yotes lawyer shortly after the deal? I forgot where I heard that and if it's wrong I'm sorry for saying wrong info but, if that's true it's kinda sketchy.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Didn't the lawyer that organized the deal for Glendale become a Yotes lawyer shortly after the deal? I forgot where I heard that and if it's wrong I'm sorry for saying wrong info but, if that's true it's kinda sketchy.

Something like that... and my understanding is that is the loophole the city is using.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

Something like that... and my understanding is that is the loophole the city is using.

Glendale To Vote On Canceling Coyotes' Arena Deal
City officials haven’t given details, and legally can’t because it’s thus far only been discussed in closed session. But the Arizona Republic notes the agenda for the city council meeting cites a state statute “that allows government entities to end a contract within three years of being signed if a person involved in negotiating the contract for the city is, in effect, an employee or agent of the other party to the contract.â€

Just get the Coyotes the hell away from Glendale
In the end, none of this grandstanding mattered, because the council had already decided that the best way to sweeten the deal they agreed to with the Coyotes was to cancel the current contract. The city of Glendale lost $8.1 million on its $15 million investment last year, and is projected to lose $8.7 million this year, a year in which the Coyotes were abjectly terrible before they were intentionally terrible in an effort to gain the top pick in the draft.

So they ginned up some reasons to break the deal. Like the inference that Craig Tindall, a former Glendale city attorney, worked for the Coyotes in 2013 while getting severance from Glendale. According to the Arizona Republic, “the State Bar of Arizona last summer found that there was no merit†to that complaint. And yet, it was cited last night, if vaguely.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00