OT: Former Boston ( New England ) Amusement Parks

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This story on Boston.com got me thinking.

1684218458979.png

My Mom who didn't drive until after my Dad passed took me there by train so SHE could see Toody and Muldoon from Car 54.

I remember when there was a roller coaster at Revere Beach

and Paragon Park in Hull (Nantasket)

Norumbega Park in Newton was magical when I was a kid

Canobie Lake Park didn't excite me as a kid but when my son was growing up it was the only game in town.

I miss those days.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
How about Lincoln Park in Dartmouth?
I grew up on the South Shore, Paragon was minutes away. But I never heard of Lincoln Park until I moved to the area for a few years (it was closed by then).
Never heard of either.

My knowledge of amusment parks was limited to Riverside, Canobie Lake, Whalom Park, Rocky Point and Water Country.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
From before I was born, but my home city of Manchester was home to the infamous Pine Island Park. It’s just a playground and hiking trails now, but it was a full blown amusement park in the day. Has a dark history as well, which you can read about online.

Attachments

• IMG_2942.jpeg
    IMG_2942.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I got a blast from the past, not an amusement park but
View attachment 709226
I live in Hudson NH but grew up in Littleton, MA.. As a child we went to Bensons. When I first moved up here (In the late 80s) the elephants still lived where Bensons was because they had nowhere else for them.

We used to go to Whalom Park (it was in Lunenberg MA). Now it is abandoned.

1684238805814.png

1684238850878.png

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Crescent Park was a big one in East Providence as well and was very popular in the early 1900s. It closed in 1977, but the Looff Carousel was saved and restored and is still running at 128 years later.

Reactions: BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The coaster from Paragon Park, which scared this kid from the 60's to death back in my small days, is alive and well and still functioning in Six Flags America in Maryland. I sure hope they fixed those missing rail cross pieces I used to peer through on the first hill climb back in the 70's.

Reactions: Curls13

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I vaguely remember a Christmas Themed park on route 114 in Middleton.

Can't remember the name though.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
its still there, I go often but yeah they no longer have the rides, still have the big cat show though
I LOVE the big cats. They used to bring the Liger who weighted like 900 pounds.

1684246883820.png

I vaguely remember a Christmas Themed park on route 114 in Middleton.

Can't remember the name though.
When Amanda was little, they used to open Bensons at Christmas.

Reactions: SPV and sarge88

Babajingo

The coaster from Paragon Park, which scared this kid from the 60's to death back in my small days, is alive and well and still functioning in Six Flags America in Maryland. I sure hope they fixed those missing rail cross pieces I used to peer through on the first hill climb back in the 70's.
I remember the mini-golf course meandered through the coasters stanchions. Every time a car passed overhead, all the wooden stanchions would start to vibrate.
I'm sure it was designed that way :rolleyes:

Now that I live on the North Shore, forgot about the Salem Willows. They have a cool old Merry-Go-Round there.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I LOVE the big cats. They used to bring the Liger who weighted like 900 pounds.

View attachment 709257

When Amanda was little, they used to open Bensons at Christmas.
Great place!

Unfortunately, they are so good that they have become ridiculously expensive. I'm no cheapskate, but my wife and two kids stopped for an ice cream there last summer and not exaggerating, with tip we were approaching $50.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
How about Lincoln Park in Dartmouth?
I grew up on the South Shore, Paragon was minutes away. But I never heard of Lincoln Park until I moved to the area for a few years (it was closed by then).
I grew up in Quincy and spent many a day at Paragon Park. They put in the water slides when I was in about 6th grade which was quite an upgrade.

I remember Lincoln Park, and a couple of others from my childhood:

Kings Castle Land: Whitman's King's Castle Land Was a Magical Place for Massachusetts Kids

Jolly Cholly in Attleboro, which often seemed to be closed at random times: Nostalgia photos: Jolly Cholly

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I grew up in Quincy and spent many a day at Paragon Park. They put in the water slides when I was in about 6th grade which was quite an upgrade.

I remember Lincoln Park, and a couple of others from my childhood:

Kings Castle Land: Whitman's King's Castle Land Was a Magical Place for Massachusetts Kids

Jolly Cholly in Attleboro, which often seemed to be closed at random times: Nostalgia photos: Jolly Cholly

King's Castle was an annual trip as a kid. We always went to Peaceful Meadows in Whitman afterwards, it was our family go to for ice cream. On the days we went for ice cream with no King's Castle visit, the biggest thrill was if the dragon was spitting fire when we passed it on Rt. 18. Didn't happen often, but when it did, it was a good day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad