Rumor: Former assistant GM/AHL GM Eric Joyce joining Leafs front office

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Joyce didn't get the GM job and was replaced by Boucher. Good riddance.

Batting as you've said, their way (Joyce/Werier/Rowe) did not take into account how it would affect the organization, the locker room, etc.

Do you think they (Joyce/Werier) are aware of this?

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

This is absolutely fantastic news, easily the 2nd biggest win next to trading Matheson

Our AHL team is gonna be so much better and he'll make the Leafs worse.

Huh!?
Are the Panthers going away from Analytics, or getting deeper into Analytics?
I'm confused.

More, they're just realizing that the previous analytics department was trash.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Huh!?
I'm confused.

Cleaning house.

The only reason people believe this won’t be a few months long retool is because we have Q, Barkov, Huberdeau, and Ekblad. Unfortunately, you need more than that to be a legit good team and I think Zito realizes that.

Everyone from management to scouting to the players needs to be on the same page and you need guys that want to win and will do anything to further that cause.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I like the moves Zito has done. I like the players we've brought in. I'm pretty sure I'll like watching these new guys put in more effort and be harder to play against.

I'm just concerned that this is like Tallon Rebuild version 1.3 as in Tallon did v1.0 up to 2015/16, then Joyce crew came in and re-tooled to v1.1, then Tallon came back for v1.2, now Zito is going for v1.3, but at the end of the day it's still the same package, just re-tooled. I'm still not entirely convinced we don't need to scrap V1 and go for V2...

Hopefully the new guys bring in a fresh mentality to jolt the core to the next level and the roster is more aligned with Q. I really hope this isn't just a failed re-tool and we're once again stuck in the middle

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Cleaning house.

The only reason people believe this won’t be a few months long retool is because we have Q, Barkov, Huberdeau, and Ekblad. Unfortunately, you need more than that to be a legit good team and I think Zito realizes that.

Everyone from management to scouting to the players needs to be on the same page and you need guys that want to win and will do anything to further that cause.

This.. This is also why I think we didn't really try hard if at all to resign Hoffman / Dadonov.

There not guys you build a team around there "filler" guys you add once you got team that's ready to take the next step and has fundamentals down

Last edited:

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL

19AEF7D1-A160-48A4-BED9-682DB086AB59.gif

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Huh!?
I'm confused.
They just took the TI SR-10, expensive, old-fashioned, and limited functionality, and replaced it by the TI-84, also expensive but modern and highly functional model.

Just remains to be seen whether the graphing and analytical functionality is of any use.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
They just took the TI SR-10, expensive, old-fashioned, and limited functionality, and replaced it by the TI-84, also expensive but modern and highly functional model.

Just remains to be seen whether the graphing and analytical functionality is of any use.

Most likely the overall functionality remains pretty much the same but the consumer gets to pay extra $$$s for the more polished facade.

Reactions: KW

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Cleaning house.

Again (and this has been my constant reply to you) while I agree that it's 100% not a bad idea to reassess, try to draft better and bring in players that want to win, Barkov has 2 years left, Huberdeau 3. They are (very likely) not going to be good this year, and you're wasting another year of their careers. Unless you have a source indicating they're going to re-up here, that should be concern #1.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Again (and this has been my constant reply to you) while I agree that it's 100% not a bad idea to reassess, try to draft better and bring in players that want to win, Barkov has 2 years left, Huberdeau 3. They are (very likely) not going to be good this year, and you're wasting another year of their careers. Unless you have a source indicating they're going to re-up here, that should be concern #1.
I think you have your answer. Look at what Columbus has done the past few seasons, they let players walk. Plus what has Florida accomplished with Huby and Barky?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
If we want to be brutally honest, Barkov, Huberdeau, and Ekblad are good players, maybe great players. But odds are you will win with them, not because of them.

And that’s not to say to we should just ship them off, but I also don’t think we should put all of our hopes and dreams into them. In fact I wouldn’t mind moving Huberdeau and Ekblad if the deal was right. Of course we’ve made some moves already but entering the off season, no one on the roster should’ve been 100% off limits, except maybe Barkov.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If we want to be brutally honest, Barkov, Huberdeau, and Ekblad are good players, maybe great players. But odds are you will win with them, not because of them.

And that’s not to say to we should just ship them off, but I also don’t think we should put all of our hopes and dreams into them. In fact I wouldn’t mind moving Huberdeau and Ekblad if the deal was right. Of course we’ve made some moves already but entering the off season, no one on the roster should’ve been 100% off limits, except maybe Barkov.
I think this is true. Look at McHeyZeus on the Oil. He hasn’t brought them to the promised land either. Maybe he needs to lose the Mc.

Reactions: Cold Cat

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

I agree with Huby: Ekblad’s contract is uniquely valuable. We have him for five years at a reasonable price

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think you have your answer. Look at what Columbus has done the past few seasons, they let players walk. Plus what has Florida accomplished with Huby and Barky?
Florida has made some nice depth moves and made their top 6 a lot worse. Instead of finishing between 18th and 14th overall, it's now probably gonna be 22-26 range. What's the point? I would rather go scorched earth, trade good players for a boatload of assets like Ottawa did, then keep our solid players and draft 8th instead of 2nd.

(not directed at you) I haven't gotten a good reply to that yet, aside from the whole game isn't played on paper, buthonestly that's not a good argument, you can pretty confidently say this is likely not a good team.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida has made some nice depth moves and made their top 6 a lot worse. Instead of finishing between 18th and 14th overall, it's now probably gonna be 22-26 range. What's the point? I would rather go scorched earth, trade good players for a boatload of assets like Ottawa did, then keep our solid players and draft 8th instead of 2nd.
Let’s wait to see acfually: Hornqvist could replace one of Hoffman or Dady’s output tbh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad