Who did you think was better in 2015?

• Jonathan Toews

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Sidney Crosby

Votes: 66 95.7%

• Total voters

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure there was any genuine belief Toews was better than Sid, ever, outside of places like Chicago, DC, and Philly. :laugh:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The question is who was better in 2015, not who is the better player.

Sid outscored JT in the regular season by 18 points. However, The Pens were 1 and done in the playoffs with Sid scoring 4 points. JT on the other hand, Hawks won the cup and JT I think was one of the higher scorers in the playoffs with 21 points.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Jonathan Toews only one time in his career was a PPG player, and that in a shortened season.

At no point was his defense enough to make up for the massive amount that Sid was better at offense.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The question is who was better in 2015, not who is the better player.

Sid outscored JT in the regular season by 18 points. However, The Pens were 1 and done in the playoffs with Sid scoring 4 points. JT on the other hand, Hawks won the cup and JT I think was one of the higher scorers in the playoffs with 21 points.
I would like to point out that Sid in 2015 was playing with a bum wrist and with Mike Johnston as coach.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wasn't there for it

And think that defensive centres get a harsh rap in this game they don't deserve

But nevertheless

Stone me, the list of people they tried to say were better than Sid.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Also during that period Chicago and LA traded the Cup back and forth. So there was some argument that Sid/Ovechkin/Geno put up the stats but balanced Western Conference teams won Cups.

It didn't help that Chicago bitchslapped us head to head for a decade.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Considering the recent toews news....

In the summer of 2015, how many of you thought toews was the better player?

i know a bunch of my friends thought crosby put up empty stats, while toews was more important to winning. I think the NHL media was split 50/50 on the debate. obviously this argument ceased to exist post- 2016.
It wasn't a debate then and it is an even sillier thought now. There would be no gm or coach in the NHL then or now that would have taken Toews over Crosby.

Zap Rowsdower

Sep 10, 2019
Toews was better for one brief period, he worked his arse off and really was a better leader. Don't remember when but maybe it was that year. But other than that, Crosby was obviously better most years

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Not even f***ing close. Malkin vs. Toews isn't even f***ing close.

I still remember arguing on a different forum with Chicago fans after Toews and Kane signed their extensions. I was saying how that was the end of their dynasty. They had won due to their depth and the new deals would kill that. They were getting paid significantly more than Crosby and Malkin, but weren't as good as Crosby and Malkin, couldn't carry a team like Crosby and Malkin, and I had seen what happened when both of Crosby and Malkin's deals kicked in.

They lost in the first round which they said "They lost a close series in 7 games the year after winning the Cup" which, yeah, fair enough. But they got swept in the first round the next year and the only reason they made the playoffs since was because of COVID. As bad as things got for the Pens at times, it never got that bad...at least until Crosby and Malkin were in their mid-30's.

Also, though, ya know....more power to them. They were great players and they made the best of their window. 3 Cups and 2 other conference finals in 7 years is a helluva run. In the long run, I'd obviously rather take Crosby-Malkin, but until the back-to-backs, the Blackhawks were unquestionably the team of the generation.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I don't think even the biggest Blackhawk homer could ever believe that Toews was ever anywhere near Crosby's level.

Toews was better for one brief period, he worked his arse off and really was a better leader. Don't remember when but maybe it was that year. But other than that, Crosby was obviously better most years
Crosby at his worst is still superior to Toews' peak.
Don't be a homer.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
There were times when some off-player would randomly join Crosby/Ovi in the debate of who was the best player. Stammer, Malkin, Giroux, and Toews were all in this discussion at some point - usually after a strong season or showing. I don't think any of them ever surpassed Crosby or Ovi, but they were sometimes right alongside them.

In 2015, Toews had a great season that was capped off with a Cup. Even with that, unless you thought some crazy momentum shift was about to occur, I don't think many would take Toews over Crosby.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That's a little far now.

Setting aside the captain/intangibles stuff, Toews was the 1C for a team that won 3 Cups in 6 years. He was a seriously great player on the best team of its era.
Who's closer?

Staal to Toews? Or Toews to Crosby?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Who's closer?

Staal to Toews? Or Toews to Crosby?

If we're talking when Toews was actually good, then I think that is a nice distribution of 3 players.

For their careers I think Staal/Toews/Backstrom/Kessel is a healthy debate honestly. 4 guys who will be forever linked.

backtobackplus1

Aug 6, 2023
Why hasnt a mod locked this thread yet? It’s ridiculous…
Why lock it? wether we like to admit it or not, this debate was argued.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

these articles are 9+ years ago…it’s like having a thread on the Oilers site: who’s better? Jari Kurri or Mike Bossy…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Night Shift

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
taser-taserface.gif

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea

Yeah boy, that Alison Myers of "Bleacher Report" is a veritable sportswriting legend, likely sporting dozens of followers. Glad to see such monumentally important debates resurrected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad