Post-Game Talk: Forgot there was a game tonight, apparently so did the sens, lose 7-3 to the leaves

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So then they should be having way higher turnover in the lineup. Thanks for proving my point. He had a good game, these players I am talking about him replacing are garbage anyway. He played well, id like to see good play rewarded no one deserves anything in this lineup.
We do need more turnover but we don’t yet have the depth. I think Peca is a decent 4th line option, I was just pointing out that the team looked really slow due to the grind. The Leafs have used their financial power well to have about 12 bottom six players they can rotate.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
in the first 5 goals he gave up, none were easy save. Maybe with great anticipation he could have prevented the 2nd Matthews goal? Or if by miracle he saw the puck through 2 bodies (Stepan/Gudbranson), he could have stopped Mikheyev's shot? Or if he knew what the Leafs were planning, could have cheated on his left ala Hogberg and made a toe save on Thornton's redirection?

If he made 1 or 2 more saves, I don't think it changes the outcome of the game. The fact is the Sens are always playing from behind, and NOT 1 or 2 goals deficit. Statistically, the teams that score the first goal more often that not, WIN.

Without Chabot and/or when the team plays like that, NO goalie would make a difference.

Of course he warmed up before the game, all back-ups do. What the poster said is just an expression "come in cold" just means that you didn't start the game, mental preparation is different, you come in a situation when the game has already started and your team is most likely already trailing.

Which is another reason why losing Balcers for nothing and/or trading Jaros for a 7th was shortsighted.

Should have just started the season with Anisimov and Coburn on the taxi squad, like it was DESTINED to happen.
Losing Balcers for nothing was definitely not part of the plan. Dorion obviously thought he’d clear. Bad move. How many non goalies have been claimed off waivers this year ?

EDIT: 4 D have been claimed. Balcers is the only forward claimed off waivers this year. Bad luck.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Losing Balcers for nothing was definitely not part of the plan. Dorion obviously thought he’d clear. Bad move. How many non goalies have been claimed off waivers this year ?

EDIT: 4 D have been claimed. Balcers is the only forward claimed off waivers this year. Bad luck.

I don't know but what I know is the Senators don't nearly have the depht that Dorion intended to have going into the season. Not a team that can afford to lose players for nothing at this point in time. Sure, there was a lot of players waived so it was likely they wouldn't lose all 3 but putting Balcers, Jaros and Chlapik meant we were most likely to lose at least one. Balcers got claimed, Jaros got acquired via trade and the same could easily happen with Chlapik. It seems other NHL teams do have some interet in these players because they're young, cheap and could play well for them.

We already lost a lot of players from last year (Pageau, Duclair, Ennis, Namestnikov, Ryan, DeMelo, Hainsey, Borowiecki). Murray instead of Andy is a good move, Dadonov is also a nice move but it seems that we are missing 2 more solid veterans (1 forward and 1 D-man)

Stutzle vs Duclair
Norris vs Pageau
Batherson vs Ennis
Dadonov vs Ryan
Watson vs Sabourin/Beaudin/Boedker
Stepan vs Namestnikov
Zub vs DeMelo
Gudbranson vs Hainsey
Wolanin/Brannstrom vs Borowiecki

The thing is it doesn't even look that bad on paper. Sure Stutzle/Norris/Batherson are quite young and inexperienced but they are going to be much better than those 3 in the near future. Ryan barely played last year and had issues, Dadonov is a bit younger and a good upgrade. Watson is also a clear upgrade, Zub could also be an upgrade in the near future. It's basically just Stepan who is a downgrade.

That damn North division certainly plays a big role in the team underperfoming and I think coaching is also a MAJOR reason why they are struggling overall. The team has a lot of trouble figuring out defensive systems (if there is) and the line combinations and PP strategies are clearly not working most of the time.

The intentions were good but bringing too many marginal vets didn't help. They were already stuck with Anisimov contract, and it turns out that Stepan, Paquette, Galchenyuk, Josh Brown, Coburn dragged the team down more than anything.

At least it seems that they want to correct these mistakes sooner than later.

I know what he meant, but said poster also implied that any goalie who comes in the game in relief of the starter is destined to have a bad game. I have watched many games where the starting goalie gets pulled and the goalie coming off the bench ends up having a good game the rest of the way, it is not unprecedented or anything.

No, it doesn't mean the goalie will have a bad game. The problem is when the goalie comes "in cold" in a game where his team is clearly outmatched.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Chlapik, Brown, Balcers and Abramov are not fast.

It's all relative.

Compared to Stepan and Anisimov they are Pavel Bure.

And speed isn't always foot speed. It's also about moving the puck to the right people accurately and on time. Mark Stone is slow on his feet but he makes his team faster by being so smart and efficient with the puck. There is a place for slower players on a fast team but only if they can read plays quickly and move the puck well. Stepan and Arty have none of that so far this year.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I see Peca got rewarded for his strong game last night with a demotion. This team lol. Anyone who argues this is a meritocracy is a joke.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
upload_2021-2-19_11-35-53.jpeg

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Senators had their chances in this game, and there were lots of shots that hit the post. The score made the game look worse than it was.

Having said this, the Senators weren't going to win 2 or 3 games of this 3-game mini series against the Leafs if the Leafs played anywhere close to their potential. Playing at .500 win rate from this point onwards would be a very good result for the Senators at this stage. jmho.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I see Peca got rewarded for his strong game last night with a demotion. This team lol. Anyone who argues this is a meritocracy is a joke.
It could be just to save money, Anisimov makes the same amount whether or not he's on the taxi squad or roster, while Peca gets paid more if he's on the roster vs taxi squad. Since there's a 2 day break now, he could be moved there temporarily. We'll know for sure by Sunday.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Leafs to me look like a regular season team, Montreal added some much needed grit in the off season & look much more like a playoff team now. The Leafs could still add some grit by the trade deadline or play Simmons more in the playoffs. I think if you target their stars & hit them regularly they will fold as we have seen them do a few times now.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
First of all, missed this entire game. Went to a sports bar/restaurant with some buddies now that the lockdown is lifted, and they didn’t have the game on. We requested it and it said they didn’t have Sportsnet? LOL. They claimed that the government is banning sports at restaurants because the cheering and yelling producing droplets...sounded made up to me.

Anyways, taking a look at the highlights and advanced stats, it wasn’t as dominating as the score looked. Looks like our goaltending was atrocious and we also got unlucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad