Speculation: Forecasting the Head Coaching position for 2013-2014

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Bump.

As much as the play of Bobrovsky has lifted this team, Richards making lemons out of lemonade probably has a lot to do with the recent run.

Richards is essentially doing what Hitch did in getting a team to overperform while riding a hot goalie by focusing on strong defensive play by every man on the ice. And I'd argue Hitch had the better roster to work with in the playoff season.

Richards has done all of this while playing his young players like Johansen and Atkinson substantial minutes...even if they haven't been playing great hockey in the offensive zone. There's something to be said for this as it rewards them for the other parts of the game and tells them they aren't going to end up in the doghouse simply for slumping.

Seems to me that Richards has earned the right to coach the last year of his contract and then see where the chips fall. I wouldn't do a Howson move and extend his contract over the summer, but he's earned the right to at least coach out the rest of his deal.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Bump.

As much as the play of Bobrovsky has lifted this team, Richards making lemons out of lemonade probably has a lot to do with the recent run.

Richards is essentially doing what Hitch did in getting a team to overperform while riding a hot goalie by focusing on strong defensive play by every man on the ice. And I'd argue Hitch had the better roster to work with in the playoff season.

Richards has done all of this while playing his young players like Johansen and Atkinson substantial minutes...even if they haven't been playing great hockey in the offensive zone. There's something to be said for this as it rewards them for the other parts of the game and tells them they aren't going to end up in the doghouse simply for slumping.

Seems to me that Richards has earned the right to coach the last year of his contract and then see where the chips fall. I wouldn't do a Howson move and extend his contract over the summer, but he's earned the right to at least coach out the rest of his deal.

The Hotstreak has been impressive. Coaching is so streaky, as we've seen here. We've seen great stretches from all our coaches (not really counting the interims), even Gerard Gallant. I still don't think Richards is a great coach, and I think not having a "C" right now in the room has aided his coaching immensely, as its forced everyone to take accountability and learn some leadership.

I'm not ready to talk extension. It may not feel like it now, but Richards could, essentially, "wake up stupid" tomorrow (in that the players will have shut him out, Bob cools off and horrible results follow)

I still have no problems if they decide to dismiss him at the end of the season, he is a holdover, and I can understand the desire for the new regime to bring in their guys everywhere. I will say that he's helped his stock immensely for his next job when you look at the injuries and young guys and call ups he's had to ingratiate into the program. You can't argue with what he's done thus far. If they decide to give him the rest of his current deal, they better be ready with some sort of extension plan if this high mostly continues, because its going to be difficult to justify a dismissal to some fans, regardless of the current climate in the front office.

He's done better than I thought, but I still don't like his chances to keep this job beyond his current deal. This won't be a matter of Wins and Losses, either. He's been good in this job, but I still only see him as a transition to the coach that will need to take this team and this organization to the next level.

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Bump.

A lot can happen between now and the end of the season, that said and based on the facts as they are today I agree... he's earned another year behind the bench...

As Letestu said after the last SO win, the team is a part of Bobs great run (paraphrase); that team is being motivated and directed by Todd Richards...

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Lemons get a bad rap, but making lemons out of lemonade would really be something! :sarcasm:

Unless the team really regresses, which I can't see happening, I agree he should stay for next year. This team was playing well prior to the points streak, and prior to Bob losing his mind. We knew coming in the team would be strong defensively, but Richards has established something with this group beyond that.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
This guy mentioned Richards staying, before it was "cool" to mention Richards staying...

I liked the way this team was playing right from the start of the year. It's a proven fact that hard work and a hot goalie can take you a long way ... the hard work part is absolutely a direct result of Todd Richards and the rest of the coaching staff.

I say, let them run with it, until they prove they cannot.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This guy mentioned Richards staying, before it was "cool" to mention Richards staying...

I liked the way this team was playing right from the start of the year. It's a proven fact that hard work and a hot goalie can take you a long way ... the hard work part is absolutely a direct result of Todd Richards and the rest of the coaching staff.

I say, let them run with it, until they prove they cannot.

I think it's the entire coaching STAFF. You certainly wouldn't want Hartsburg or Acton to catch you lollygagging.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Oh wait, I was agreeing with YOU. :laugh:

271758-1254423403_top_10_mexican_standoffs_2_large.jpg

Mexican standoff...

Sir, I agree with you. Why can't you just agree with that?

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
The CBJ Coaching Merry-go-round

1. King
  2. Maclean
  3. Gallant
  4. Agnew
  5. Hitchcock
  6. Noel
  7. (Boucher*)
  8. Arniel
  9. Richards

• We got Hitchcock, the savior, and he was fired.
  • We let Noel go, which in light of how well he's done in Winnipeg looks like a mistake.
  • *We didn't get wunderkind Boucher, who was XGMSH's first pick, and now both Boucher and Howson are out of work.
  • We promoted Richards, and many thought he should be gone, and now....

As fans, there's so much we really don't know, and probably ought to keep our foolish mouths shut about. But fair enough to say at least 3 guys on that list should have been kept and the GM fired.

In the case of Boucher of Tampa, our former passion, Stevie Y pulled the plug on him a little too quick IMO. But again, what do I really know, other than it caught everyone by surprise down here.

PERSPECTIVE:
Of the four major sports, NHL coaches have the shortest tenure, --an average of only 2.3 seasons.

Anybody think Richards will be our coach next year?
I would think JD and Jarmo will want their own guy, unless we make the playoffs.

$5 says this is Trotz' last season in Nashville.
Would love to have him Columbus.
IMO, no coach has gotten more out of less for so long.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Porty will be pissed that this list doesn't include Dineen.

Richards and staff will remain until the team outgrows them, IMO.

A little stability would be nice.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Wow, we really do have the most defeatist mentality ever.

The team just completed the most successful stretch in team history and people are still insistant the the coaching staff will be replaced.

The coaching staff has done an excellent job of making due to with what we have. We started the year with7-8 new players and 1 week of training camp. We've used 11 different D this season and all have stepped in without a noticeable drop in performance. We've managed through significant injuries to Wiz, Dubinsky, and Anisimov, have no true scoring talent, and we are still technically in contention for a playoff spot.

I don't know what else you can ask for in the lockout season like this.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany

The team just completed the most successful stretch in team history and people are still insistant the the coaching staff will be replaced.

The coaching staff has done an excellent job of making due to with what we have. We started the year with7-8 new players and 1 week of training camp. We've used 11 different D this season and all have stepped in without a noticeable drop in performance. We've managed through significant injuries to Wiz, Dubinsky, and Anisimov, have no true scoring talent, and we are still technically in contention for a playoff spot.

Spot on. Anybody else get a chuckle out of the Boucher firing?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

I agree with you, and I would add that I'm pretty tired of looking backwards. North.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Agreed. I thought I was the only guy around here who thought these things; I think they've all earned the chance to come back with this team next year - and, if they keep it up, hopefully beyond.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Barring a collapse that will bring back memories of seasons gone by I think the chances are real good the staff is back.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The recent Nashville game mistakes aside my pick for coach next season is still Richards.. as of today that is.. I'm hoping he can get the team to win when Mason plays though, assuming Mason plays at an average or above NHL level.. Bob cannot be expected to win or tie every remaining game in the season..

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The front office will make the decision that they think is best for the team. I have no investment in Richards, he could stay or he could go. No issue to me one way or another. I like how the team is playing, but I still have some criticisms. Stay or not, I don't care and won't get on the front office for whatever they decide.

He seems to have earned another year, so that would be my expectation at this point. But I wouldn't be surprised or upset if we go another direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad