Speculation: Forecasting the Head Coaching position for 2013-2014

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Right now Todd Richards is 22-31-4 over 57 total games as the CBJ head coach. He has a new GM and a new President of Hockey Operations looming over him. They are part of the new organization. He's part of the old organization. He's probably on thin ice even if nobody is saying it yet.

What do you see happening with Richards?

I figured we could use a thread follow the possibilities at head coach for next year. Is it still Richards. Is it somebody else?

Personally I see him lasting through the year then getting fired. JD and Jarmo will put in place "their guy" and then we can move forward. Who could that possibly be? I have no idea at this point in time.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Will the Jackets make a run at Lindy Ruff since just fired ?

Just saw on twitter that Lindy Ruff has been canned as Buffalo's head coach. Anyone know if Jd has a past history with Lindy. He would be a huge upgrade as a coach compared to Richards, but I havent followed him enough to know how he would fare with a young team ?

bizzz*

Just saw on twitter that Lindy Ruff has been canned as Buffalo's head coach. Anyone know if Jd has a past history with Lindy. He would be a huge upgrade as a coach compared to Richards, but I havent followed him enough to know how he would fare with a young team ?

Hope no. Anything connected to Doug MacLean is bad for this team.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Read in an Elliotte Friedman article the other day that JD advised Jarmo to take some time to learn the CBJ environment and then think about making a change in the HC job vs. just doing it right away. JD used this philosophy when considering whether to retain or fire Howson and advised Jarmo to do the same when it comes to Richards (Thought #26).

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/30-thoughts-hockey-socks-and-safety.html

EF mentions Jacques Martin as a possible replacement; I'm not so sure he's my candidate of choice, but he's an option. I'm sure Ruff will be in the running if he's still on the market when that time comes; he would be my top option.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Add me to the anti-Martin group. Although if we don't obtain some offense his system might be best.

redsfanhere*

Jun 9, 2011
i keep the name of dallas eakins in my mind boys and girls...young man looking for opportunity after 2013 season....

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
It would be interesting to see Ruff here. I always liked how quickly Buffalo played their game, and I wonder how it would look here with the amount of mobility we have on the back end.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
I think Richards stays until the end of the season. No sense in making a change right now. I think after Jarmo makes some changes, he will see who is available. I'm not sure about Ruff and certainly do not want Martin.

Here is a bold prediction: Robert will weigh in with a vote for Ruff

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Patrick Roy

a lot of people on the sabres board are saying the same thing.

Who knows if he'll want to start right back up again next season, but my feeling is Richards won't last beyond this one and I would not mind Lindy Ruff at all

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
There are some little known guys out there. One guy I will mention that is ready for an NHL head job is Detroit assistant Bill Peters. He's been Mike Babcock's cohort twice in his career, and has been successful at every level, just as Babcock has. He's a no-nonsense guy that doesn't let players take shifts off (I've personally seen him bench entire lines), and IMO would be the perfect young coach to grow with a young team.

Whether or not he'd be looking at a head coaching job is for debate ... but, this is the type of scenario I'd love to see.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
i keep the name of dallas eakins in my mind boys and girls...young man looking for opportunity after 2013 season....

This is my thought as well. I think he's ready for the NHL and has developed a good reputation for working with young players. Could be good for the rebuild rather than someone with Ruff who would probably do better with a group of vets looking for a change in the room (Washington?).

Plus, Eakins has Ohio links as he played for the Cincinnati cyclones back in the day...

However, after the Arniel fiasco, I can see why the CBJ could be gun-shy at going after an AHL coach without NHL experience.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
It is time to seriously consider bringing Dave King back in. After being shown the door, he has enjoyed success in Europe as a head coach and back in the NHL as an assistant to Dave Tippett.

Secretly, I believe he is responsible for their success in Phoenix.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
It is time to seriously consider bringing Dave King back in. After being shown the door, he has enjoyed success in Europe as a head coach and back in the NHL as an assistant to Dave Tippett.

Secretly, I believe he is responsible for their success in Phoenix.

Porty?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'll reserve judgement on who I want the coach to be next year, but I think we can all agree that it will NOT be Richards. Good guy, maybe a good coach, but he's not Jarmo or JD's guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad