Speculation: Forecasting the Head Coaching position for 2013-2014

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Please read my original post again when you've sobered up.
I do not suggest replacing Richards. I question whether JD and Jarmo will want "their guy".

Rehashing team history is good sport. Its what we do. But again, if you read my post, you will see WHY I listed all of them: to make the point that several were arguably better than Richards, but were screwed by the GMs and the room.

And yes, I might think its time to dump Richards if he can't get our top six to generate more than a pint of piss every game. I find scoring goals to be one of the "Keys to the Game." Weird I know.

Of course, if you're saying we're not allowed on HF to have two subjects per post, or look at the past, or believe good coaches help their team to score at least the Claude minimum, then I apologize.

I really am allergic to the logic represented by your bolded. Except it's not logic, its trying to get water from a stone.

Richards has a roster that we all knew would struggle to score goals. He's managing that roster and the team is a point out of 8th. They went into Vancouver, a very hot team at the moment, and played them to a scoreless draw prior to the SO. You must have a short memory to not remember a couple of 4 goal games not too long ago...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I do not suggest replacing Richards. I question whether JD and Jarmo will want "their guy".

Rehashing team history is good sport. Its what we do. But again, if you read my post, you will see WHY I listed all of them: to make the point that several were arguably better than Richards, but were screwed by the GMs and the room.

And yes, I might think its time to dump Richards if he can't get our top six to generate more than a pint of piss every game. I find scoring goals to be one of the "Keys to the Game." Weird I know.

So in your original post you do not suggest replacing Richards. But in this one, you do? And I'm the one who needs to sober up?

What I still don't see is what your history lesson has to teach us about the current coaching situation, and I'm only guessing at your opinion on Richards because you've obfuscated it with passsive-aggressive posting. Team has had better coaches than Richards? Check. Those coaches have been undone by things beyon their control? Check? So, applying that to the current situation, we learn...? That the team isn't scoring very much and it's Richards' fault?

Of course, if you're saying we're not allowed on HF to have two subjects per post, or look at the past, or believe good coaches help their team to score at least the Claude minimum, then I apologize.

Yes, asking people to clarify their posts is the exact same as any of those thing you suggest I might be doing. For all the haranguing over "it's a discussion board," people seem to get all into a fuss over having to clarify their remarks. Which is, you know, part of having a discussion. Of course, if you'd prefer HF be a place where posts arennot questioned or judged in the nme of discussion, then I apologize.

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Based on this, I can conclude that I did a terrible job training my dogs. When I speak to them in Latin or Middle English, they just stare at me and don't comprehend. When I ask their thoughts on complex political thought in normal English, they just stare at me. Obviously, this is a sign of insubordination and lack of discipline (exacerbated by my lack of training) as opposed to simply, y'know, not being able to do what I ask under the best of circumstances.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Whatever the decision of the brass regarding Richards for next season and beyond, if he can keep this group around .500 for the season, then he'll have probably salvaged his head coaching future in the NHL. Prior to "the streak", Richards was looking like he stood a decent chance, albeit an unfair one, of being relegated to the significant ash heap of permanent "former NHL head coaches".

As has been pointed out, there's no need to extend Richards' contract at this point. Coaching might take first place in a "what have you done for me lately" categorization of jobs, so next season would be Richards audition for another contract.

However, if Jarmo and JD already have someone in mind for this team other than Richards-much like the Jarmo/Howson situation-then Richards is on borrowed time. Barring some insane playoff run, then the brass wouldn't be forced to reevaluate their coaching preference.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

So...

What kind of production would you expect (yes, bolded) from a top-6 that includes Artem Anisimov, Cam Atkinson, Derick Brassard, RJ Umberger, Brandon Dubinsky, and Vinny Prospal? Because personally, even though they may not be living up to your lofty expectations, I have truly enjoyed what I've seen from this team ... especially the part about battling for a playoff spot. Success is a weird thing - this team was picked to finish so far in the bottom that relevance had already left the building, before the start of the season. They've had limited success, and now the coach is being blamed for a perceived lack of scoring? We all knew coming in that scoring would be a huge concern ... what we didn't expect was to have a team that competed on a nightly basis and never gave up.

If that type of thinking gets a coach fired ... what does one do to keep his job?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

JF.... the lack of scoring is a legitimate concern that I'm sure the brain trust is aware of; but it's not Richards fault that the team lacks skilled scorers or average players that should score don't...

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
It's funny that when we won with no offense with Ken Hitchcock, he was a genius. When we win with no offense with Todd Richards, he's a bloody moron who should be fired.

The guy has made lemons out of lemonade. That's all that can be expected until Jarmo can fix the mess Howson created in our forward ranks.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
@Capn... The Hyperbole is unnecessary.

Nobody is suggesting Richards is a moron or bad coach.

The questions are:

How much of our success is due to coaching or to BOB?
And is Richards the coach who can take us to the next level?

It's a legitimate debate.

@Robert
I agree it is not "Richards' fault".
It is also not MY fault, ...but they wisely don't let me coach either. ;)

I go back to something I said a few pages ago:

Bob's sudden success is the reason we are in the thick of it, --and not so much coaching, and definitely not our scoring.

Only JD and Jarmo really know.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I go back to something I said a few pages ago:

Bob's sudden success is the reason we are in the thick of it, --and not so much coaching, and definitely not our scoring.

Try watching the other feeds some time. Terry Crisp on the Nashville feed talked about how the Jackets were playing like the Predators, with a system limiting their opponents chances to low scoring areas.

The other night GCL was blacked out for me so I listened to the Vancouver radio feed. In addition to learning that their broadcast was sponsored by Beaver Buzz, "Canada's dam good energy drink" I got to hear their broadcasters talk about the shots attempts Vancouver was taking, but because Columbus was playing "With 6 goaltenders out there" 'only' 13 of the 29 attempted shots in the first period made it on net.

Players don't just decide to play a system on their own, it comes from the coaches.

The right system can make any goalie look good. 5 on 5 hockey, how many breakaways has Bob had to stop this year? I'm not keeping total count, but it sure seems breakaways are down considerably this year.

Bob put up great numbers in the KHL, came here, struggled, then has put together this system. How much of that is re-adjusting to the NHL game, and how much of that is the team in front of him getting the system figured out?

-----

Edit, oh shoot, this is the thread where I am not allowed to have a dissenting opinion. Bob Uber Alles, you're right, he's the only reason we're in this.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It's funny that when we won with no offense with Ken Hitchcock, he was a genius. When we win with no offense with Todd Richards, he's a bloody moron who should be fired.

The guy has made lemons out of lemonade. That's all that can be expected until Jarmo can fix the mess Howson created in our forward ranks.

If your goal was to call out JF, call out JF and save the rest of us your chest thumping.

For a bit of conversation on your actual point, I wonder what our record would look like if we get the same production as under Hitch in our playoff year. 2.75 Goals for .vs. 2.2 now. That's more than half a goal per game difference. That probably puts us in a playoff spot.

I don't agree that we had "no offense" under Hitch, but whatever.

Thx, bye.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Try watching the other feeds some time. Terry Crisp on the Nashville feed talked about how the Jackets were playing like the Predators, with a system limiting their opponents chances to low scoring areas.

The other night GCL was blacked out for me so I listened to the Vancouver radio feed. In addition to learning that their broadcast was sponsored by Beaver Buzz, "Canada's dam good energy drink" I got to hear their broadcasters talk about the shots attempts Vancouver was taking, but because Columbus was playing "With 6 goaltenders out there" 'only' 13 of the 29 attempted shots in the first period made it on net.

Players don't just decide to play a system on their own, it comes from the coaches.

The right system can make any goalie look good. 5 on 5 hockey, how many breakaways has Bob had to stop this year? I'm not keeping total count, but it sure seems breakaways are down considerably this year.

Bob put up great numbers in the KHL, came here, struggled, then has put together this system. How much of that is re-adjusting to the NHL game, and how much of that is the team in front of him getting the system figured out?

-----

Edit, oh shoot, this is the thread where I am not allowed to have a dissenting opinion. Bob Uber Alles, you're right, he's the only reason we're in this.

No, Skraut, this seems to be a thread where you are taking shots at people like me who disagree with you.

Case in point: "try watching the other feed" ???
Actually, that's all I COULD watch on CI... same as you.

The KHL is not the NHL. I hope BOB is the real deal, but Bob is actually proving your point WRONG. He's standing on his head, and we still can't win enough points.

As happy as I am about the progress, I can simply question the offensive scheme and coaching BASED ON # of GOALS PG.

We got five or six well-paid players playing WELL BELOW their numbers last year (regardless of where they were last year). Who's accountable for that? Is it just the players?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No, Skraut, this seems to be a thread where you are taking shots at people like me who disagree with you.

The KHL is not the NHL. I hope BOB is the real deal, but Bob is actually proving your point WRONG. He's standing on his head, and we still can't win enough points.

As happy as I am about the progress, I can simply question the offensive scheme and coaching BASED ON # of GOALS PG.

We got five or six well-paid players playing WELL BELOW their numbers last year (regardless of where they were last year). Who's accountable for that? Is it just the players?

Its easier to teach guys how to play a defensive system than it is to teach them how to put the puck in the net. I think Richards saw he had a bunch of quick,hungry,eager to listen guys who are offensively challenged and he went with the hand he was dealt. Plus I think it is in his DNA to coach that way.

And Bob emerging as the ghost of Patrick Roy hasn't hurt although I think a lot of his success is attributable to the guys in front of him. Together they have played to Richards' strengtht as a coach.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here

I'm just trying to challenge people to think. Maybe I'm being a bit rough, but it's easy to go with the flow, easy to agree, easy nod along with the groupthink. Go back a few years, I was saying the same thing about Mason being a product of Hitch's system/book not being written on him yet, in the midst of all the shutouts, but was told to be quiet as I clearly didn't know what I was talking about.

A goalie "standing on his head" is a goalie facing 50 shots a night like Marc Denis did, and still getting a shutout, like Marc Denis didn't. A goalie "standing on his head" is facing world class shooters on a breakaway and denying them time and again. Bob isn't doing either because he doesn't have to. The only breakaways he's seeing are in the 4 on 4 overtimes, and the most of the shots he's facing are from the outside. He's doing his job, he's making the stops he should be making. The nice thing is that he isn't facing the shots that he shouldn't be able to save. If he were facing them, and making those saves THEN you could say he was "Standing on his head."

We also have 5 or 6 players playing WELL ABOVE the position that they should be in. There no longer is Rick Nash drawing the entire team to him, and allowing R.J. Umberger to score. Now it is R.J. the other teams are focusing on, and he isn't the player to be able to handle that.

The team is comprised of some of the best 3rd liners in the league. However since there are 9 of them most are playing on the first and second lines. Since you feel the need to point blame, that's what Scott Howson is gone for.

In the mean time, I'll watch 6 guys on the ice work in tandem to keep the puck out of the net, and get the occasional scoring chance. I like knowing we're in every game. I don't miss being on the losing end of 5-2 game, where you knew the team had checked out by 7 minutes into the first period.

As Hannibal used to say "I love it when a plan comes together." It's pretty to watch. Especially after the past few years without one.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The only reason we are currently in the race is Bob standing on his head for nine games.

That would be because our goalscoring talent is so thin that we don't have that available to steal games for us, so it's got to be Bob exclusively.

We admittedly have several guys who would be in the top-6 of elite offensive teams... but not a single one of them would be leading that top-6 or driving the play. They're all Supporting Cast. And while that's a great asset to have, you need to have a few leading actors or else you're not going to get much going unless you're lucky and things just "click" now and again.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I would say that there's been some instances of Bob 'standing on his head' during the streak - the Chicago shootout game comes to mind.

Bob has been stellar, and there is also no doubt that Richards has implemented a system that is capable of defensive success. They both deserve a ton of credit for the Jackets remaining in the playoff race so far (same with Hitch and Mase during the playoff run).

Switching topics - I wondered in the past whether Richards was kind of painted into a corner when he had his first gig of coaching the Wild. Following Lemaire, I think the fans and the organization were wanting a more offense-based system, so he felt he had no choice but to try to run one even though it didn't really fit the personnel. This time, he didn't have those shackles, and he learned from his previous mistake.

I'm not sure Arniel is NHL coach-caliber, but who knows, maybe he made the same mistake here after coming in after Hitch.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not sure Arniel is NHL coach-caliber, but who knows, maybe he made the same mistake here after coming in after Hitch.

No. He made some mistakes, but he never tried to anti-emulate Hitch's system/style.

Edit: I hate it when I say the exact opposite of what I meant.

General Jacket70

Jul 26, 2002
Anchorage, AK
Visit site
Richards as of today (Friday 3/29) is 108-106-25 as an NHL coach with both the Wild (2 seasons; 77-71-1) and the Blue Jackets (31-35-9, 75 games as part of two seasons).

I feel for the guy because he followed an entrenched Lemaire in Minny and hasn't had a full regular season, with a full training camp and preseason games, with the Jackets yet (not even 82 games as HC here).

Will he be behind the bench next year? Who knows. I bet even JD and JK don't fully know yet.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I would say that there's been some instances of Bob 'standing on his head' during the streak - the Chicago shootout game comes to mind.

Bob has been stellar, and there is also no doubt that Richards has implemented a system that is capable of defensive success. They both deserve a ton of credit for the Jackets remaining in the playoff race so far (same with Hitch and Mase during the playoff run).

The steak was great. I loved the streak. I hope we have many more.

But the problem with the streak is that it is a bit misleading in terms of the play of this team this season. Let's not forget, before the streak happened, Mason played two very good games against the Blackhawks. There was a long string of one goal games that ended as losses before the streak, too.

Trouble with the streak is, everyone wants to credit Bobrovsky for making it happen and say if it wasn't for him, it wouldn't have happened. In some ways that's correct, it was probably Bob that turned those losses into wins or at least points. But to put it all on him is to overlook real progress made by young players and by the D, and the tenacity of the team to stay in games even when they were down.

Bob has played outstanding, no doubt about it. But it's too simplistic to claim the team owes its current place in the standings entirely to Bob. Lots have guys have bought in and contributed. Richards is a part of that.

EDIT to make it explicit that my post is meant as a complement to Nanabijou's, not a refutation of it

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I'm not thinking Richards' message is any different the last new nights, but I think we are starting to see a bit of the famous "Pre Deadline nerves" Most teams show some signs of them.

The team looked like it was out to prove they all belonged here from the time Jarmo was hired till now, and the reality that the deadline is looming has set in a bit.

The defensive system along with a hot goaltender can mask shortcomings everywhere else.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
I'm just trying to challenge people to think. Maybe I'm being a bit rough, but it's easy to go with the flow, easy to agree, easy nod along with the groupthink. Go back a few years, I was saying the same thing about Mason being a product of Hitch's system/book not being written on him yet, in the midst of all the shutouts, but was told to be quiet as I clearly didn't know what I was talking about.

Fair enough. But who's telling you to be quiet? This is a hockey debate. You've been on the boards long enough to know there's ALWAYS a few who will to tell you you're wrong. You're married and should know all about that. ;)

A goalie "standing on his head" is a goalie facing 50 shots a night like Marc Denis did, and still getting a shutout, like Marc Denis didn't. A goalie "standing on his head" is facing world class shooters on a breakaway and denying them time and again. Bob isn't doing either because he doesn't have to. The only breakaways he's seeing are in the 4 on 4 overtimes, and the most of the shots he's facing are from the outside. He's doing his job, he's making the stops he should be making. The nice thing is that he isn't facing the shots that he shouldn't be able to save. If he were facing them, and making those saves THEN you could say he was "Standing on his head."

Semantics.
His GAA (prior to last night) tells the story.
If he had had 'league avg gaa' over the last 12 games, we'd be in the basement.

We also have 5 or 6 players playing WELL ABOVE the position that they should be in. There no longer is Rick Nash drawing the entire team to him, and allowing R.J. Umberger to score. Now it is R.J. the other teams are focusing on, and he isn't the player to be able to handle that.

The team is comprised of some of the best 3rd liners in the league. However since there are 9 of them most are playing on the first and second lines. Since you feel the need to point blame, that's what Scott Howson is gone for.

In the mean time, I'll watch 6 guys on the ice work in tandem to keep the puck out of the net, and get the occasional scoring chance. I like knowing we're in every game. I don't miss being on the losing end of 5-2 game, where you knew the team had checked out by 7 minutes into the first period.

As Hannibal used to say "I love it when a plan comes together." It's pretty to watch. Especially after the past few years without one.

So you're blaming Nash for Umberger's lack of performance? hahahah:laugh::laugh:

I completely disagree with your comment that our team is comprised of some of the best 3rd liners in the league. They are some MUCH BETTER third liners in the league than what we got.

Jokes aside...

Anisimov, RyJo, and Cam are not 3rd liners.
Letetsu and Matty-boy have shown more potential than Chimera and Balastik.
Prospal is no 3rd liner and he's no Jan Hrdina.

Jury is out on Dub and Filigno, IMO.

Your "plan" did this last night in Edmonton:

I think "the plan" has yet to be unveiled. JD has his summer work cut out for him.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Team lost tonight before the puck was dropped because of Richards lineup. Anybody is better then him for next season.

You've been beating this drum since before the season started, with absolutely no logical explanation offered at any point.

It must have really killed you to see them doing so well for a month or so.

:help:

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
...I wonder what our record would look like if we get the same production as under Hitch in our playoff year. 2.75 Goals for .vs. 2.2 now. That's more than half a goal per game difference. That probably puts us in a playoff spot.

Hitch had more skill at forward on his team and had more veterans top-to-bottom in the lineup. Nash and Juice were better scoring options than anything we currently have. Not to say one of the younger guys couldn't eventually become as good as Juice (Nash is probably less likely), but they just aren't there at this moment in time.

Richards could open up the game more in an attempt to increase scoring, but I think we'd see more games like last night. I think he's done about the best he can with the cards he's been dealt. This was not put together to be a playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad