Forecaster 2005 draft - top 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Any mock draft/draft list is an interesting read. Last week, Forecaster came out with their top 30:

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/extras.cgi?draft2005-30prospects

1. Sidney Crosby, C
Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL), 5-11, 193

2. Gilbert Brule, C
Vancouver Giants (WHL), 5-10, 175

3. Jack Johnson, D
USNTDP (U-18), 6-1, 201

4. Anze Kopitar, C
Sodertalje SK jr. (Sweden), 6-2, 202

5. Benoit Pouliot, LW
Sudbury Wolves (OHL), 6-3, 179

6. Bobby Ryan, RW
Owen Sound Attack (OHL), 6-1, 213

7. Tuukka Rask, G
Ilves Tampere jr. (Finland), 6-2, 176

8. Guillaume Latendresse, RW
Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL), 6-2, 216

9. Kenndal McArdle, LW
Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL), 5-11, 190

10. Alex Bourret, C
Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL), 5-10, 209

11. Nicklas Bergfors, RW
Sodertalje SK jr. (Sweden), 5-10, 192

12. Marek Zagrapan, C
Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL), 6-1, 195

13. Carey Price, G
Tri-City Americans (WHL), 6-3, 222

14. Jack Skille, RW
USNTDP (U-18), 6-1, 198

15. Ryan O'Marra, C
Erie Otters (OHL), 6-2, 193

16. Marc Staal, D
Sudbury Wolves (OHL), 6-4, 196

17. Ryan Parent, D
Guelph Storm (OHL), 6-2, 183

18. Luc Bourdon, D
Val d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL), 6-3, 199

19. Ryan Stoa, C
USNTDP (U-18), 6-3, 200

20. Jakub Kindl, D
Kitchener Rangers (OHL), 6-3, 199

21. Devin Setoguchi, RW
Saskatoon Blades (WHL), 6-0, 186

22. Brian Lee, D
Moorhead High School (USHSW), 6-3, 202

23. Jean-Philippe Levasseur, G
Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (QMJHL), 6-1, 184

24. Alexandre Vincent, G
Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL), 6-4, 193

25. Matt Lashoff, D
Kitchener Rangers (OHL), 6-2, 201

26. Dan Bertram, RW
Boston College (Hockey East), 5-11, 175

27. Denis Istomin, C/RW
Traktor Chelyabinsk (Russia), 6-1, 194

28. Andrew Cogliano, C
St. Michael's Buzzers (Ontario Jr. A), 5-10, 178

29. Sergei Shirokov, RW
CSKA Moscow jr. (Russia), 5-10, 169

30. Danny Syvret, D
London Knights (OHL), 6-0, 203

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
McArdle at #9? Shirokov at #29? Syvret at #30? Don't you think those teams would wait and try to nab those 2 undrafted prospects in the later rounds?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Fozz said:
Any mock draft/draft list is an interesting read. Last week, Forecaster came out with their top 30:

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/extras.cgi?draft2005-30prospects

16. Marc Staal, D
Sudbury Wolves (OHL), 6-4, 196

17. Ryan Parent, D
Guelph Storm (OHL), 6-2, 183

18. Luc Bourdon, D
Val d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL), 6-3, 199

20. Jakub Kindl, D
Kitchener Rangers (OHL), 6-3, 199

22. Brian Lee, D
Moorhead High School (USHSW), 6-3, 202

which of these d-men are physical bruisers,with the upside to develop into top 2/3 defenseman?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
CREW99AW said:
which of these d-men are physical bruisers,with the upside to develop into top 2/3 defenseman?
Staal and Parent are the most physical, Lee is probably third and Kindle and Bourdon last two.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Staal and Parent are the most physical, Lee is probably third and Kindle and Bourdon last two.

I'm with Steblick, I see Kindl dropping to the 2nd. He has everything except what a dman needs most. One cool thing would be for an Ottawa to take him and develop him.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:

Strange... In the 2 games I saw Bourdon play this year, I though he was very physical.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
CREW99AW said:
yeah, if you're thinking for the islanders (which you obviously are ;) ) i think staal if available would be a great pick..

awesome work ethic and character, as a kid he's tough on himself sometimes, but it's because he hates it when he gets beat during a game, or makes a mistake... competes really really hard.. the kind of guy it seems that is a future leader (not going to get into the future captain thing) but this guy has got some character

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Chipchura said:
McArdle at #9? Shirokov at #29? Syvret at #30? Don't you think those teams would wait and try to nab those 2 undrafted prospects in the later rounds?

That's what I noticed. I seriously doubt Shirokov and Syvret make the first round, and if McKardle does it will be a bit lower. From what I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a single Russian player picked in the first round this year. Just not a very good crop of players to pick from.

Last edited:

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Fozz said:
Strange... In the 2 games I saw Bourdon play this year, I though he was very physical.

I'd agree that Bourdon is the most physical but also the least positionally sound of the three by a fair margin.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Bourdon is average physically if anything but not near Staal, Parent and Lee. There is difference between a physical defensmen in the Q and a physical defensmen in the OHL or WHL.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Bourdon is average physically if anything but not near Staal, Parent and Lee. There is difference between a physical defensmen in the Q and a physical defensmen in the OHL or WHL.

Really? And what exactly would that difference be? A physical player is a physical no matter what league he plays in. Is Denis Gauthier less physical because he played in the Q?

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Staal will end up in Carolina. He seems like a surebet NHLer and JR loves that type of guy, he'll most likely make a reach, grab him and unite the 2 bros.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
KILLger said:
I'm pretty sure Staal will end up in Carolina. He seems like a surebet NHLer and JR loves that type of guy, he'll most likely make a reach, grab him and unite the 2 bros.

If they intend to draft him, I hope the trade down a few spots and get something else with him.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Fozz said:
If they intend to draft him, I hope the trade down a few spots and get something else with him.

They'll probably get to draft somewhere like 8th or so... it's not that bad of a reach, and JR is pretty lame at everything he does.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fozz said:
Really? And what exactly would that difference be? A physical player is a physical no matter what league he plays in. Is Denis Gauthier less physical because he played in the Q?
They don't play the same game when the players are bigger and stronger. I have seen Bourdon plenty of times, his physical game isn't his best strength. Picard is more physical for the Mooseheads.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
andora said:
yeah, if you're thinking for the islanders (which you obviously are ;) ) i think staal if available would be a great pick..

awesome work ethic and character, as a kid he's tough on himself sometimes, but it's because he hates it when he gets beat during a game, or makes a mistake... competes really really hard.. the kind of guy it seems that is a future leader (not going to get into the future captain thing) but this guy has got some character

sounds like a good pick.

Mad Mike went for work ethic and character in the 1st round of the 2004 draft,leaving better offensive forwards on the board.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Jason MacIsaac said:

I agree that the physicality isn't as high in the Q as it is in the O and the W. I see it as Staal, Parent, Kindl, Bourdon, Lee. That's how I would go.

But I have to disagree with one point. How is Bourdon 'nor near' Lee? I don't see how there is any way US High School is close to being as physical as the Q. Admittedly, Bourdon does not play in the WHL, which is much more physical, but we can't discount what he brings simply because he plays in the Q league. Also, I personally can't see how a high school kid can be said to be superior physically to Bourdon who playing in the Q and fighting against 20/21 year olds.

If we take them on an individual basis okay (and I agree, Staal and Parent are more so), but you can't say Bourdon plays in the Q therefore he's not as physical and then say that Lee, who plays High School, is more physical.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Brian Lee to North Dakota to New Jersey, unless Devils move up in a weighted lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad