Movies: Ford v Ferrari (November 2019)

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Just got done watching it. I thought it was phenomenal.

I think Parasite is still my favorite of the year, but this is up there as one of my top 5 for sure. Bale deserves a nomination.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So I finally went and saw this and I have to say it was very well done, enjoyable and a quick 2.5 hours that flew by. Even though I knew what was going to happen there was still a ton of tension. Bale was incredible as he usually is but I often found myself distracted by his accent. There were a couple of things in the final race they probably altered, that always bothers me with historical movies. I wish they included a few more things from Ferrari's end. Jon Bernthal was great as was Matt Damon.

It really was the Ken Miles story

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So I finally went and saw this and I have to say it was very well done, enjoyable and a quick 2.5 hours that flew by. Even though I knew what was going to happen there was still a ton of tension. Bale was incredible as he usually is but I often found myself distracted by his accent. There were a couple of things in the final race they probably altered, that always bothers me with historical movies. I wish they included a few more things from Ferrari's end. Jon Bernthal was great as was Matt Damon.

It really was the Ken Miles story

Did they include the part about their star driver John Surtees quitting just before the race?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Went in with zero expectations and I have to say that this was a great movie. It did not feel like a 2 and a half hour movie because the storyline was so interesting

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
My dad and his friends who are car-loving boomers thought the movie was pretty bad because they it clearly had no intention of being an honest re-telling of what happened.

Yeah that's like that with all these movies based on true stories. They want to entertain so they need to add scenes for that purpose. I would check out the doc which is much better if anyone is interested in the actual story. I have to watch it again because I'm sure I'm missing some of the stuff.

The things they added like pushing the limits on the rulebook was pretty good because that stuff is still happening today. Ferrari was fined over the weekend over fuel irregularities during the Final F1 race, I thought they may be disqualified. Still, I don't' know if the brake assembly replacement was real or not but that stuff is fairly typical. Same with Shelby dropping the lug nut.

To a casual fan very good movie that told the story for the most part. I don't know if it got through in the movie what a big deal this was back then.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
My dad and his friends who are car-loving boomers thought the movie was pretty bad because they it clearly had no intention of being an honest re-telling of what happened.

Did they know they were watching a two and a half hour movie and not a Ken Burns two week documentary on PBS?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
For instance Ken Miles was not being held back by Ford, he actually raced Le Mans the previous year and lost. This friction was a big part of the movie.

Enzo was not even at the race. The Miles/Shelby fight never happened. There is more but I chalk it up to some artistic license. The overall theme of the movie was spot on

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I would like to watch this movie, but is there a lot of nerd car talk because that would be a turn off?

There is some of it, but it’s not a major part of the movie, and they’ll dumb it down too. I don’t know anything about cars and didn’t even know this big race existed, and it’s still my favorite movie of the year.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Watched it last night. Thought it was a solid film, however, I found Bale's accent to be a distraction

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
There is some of it, but it’s not a major part of the movie, and they’ll dumb it down too. I don’t know anything about cars and didn’t even know this big race existed, and it’s still my favorite movie of the year.

After I saw the movie I was looking up to see if these races still happen and they do. Daytona has the Rolex 24 the final weekend of the Month and the race in France is still pretty big. I wonder if we might see a little increase in popularity with these races because of this movie. I tried getting into NASCAR a few years ago but it was just so confusing. These races look a lot better, with the emphasis on road racing and they actually do run in the rain.

I loved this movie. There were moments in the middle where they dragged a little, but other than that, I had a great time with it. I also hope it wins the sound awards because of the sound mixing and editing of the races were incredible. They really immersed you into what was happening, especially the France race at night.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
After I saw the movie I was looking up to see if these races still happen and they do. Daytona has the Rolex 24 the final weekend of the Month and the race in France is still pretty big. I wonder if we might see a little increase in popularity with these races because of this movie. I tried getting into NASCAR a few years ago but it was just so confusing. These races look a lot better, with the emphasis on road racing and they actually do run in the rain.

I loved this movie. There were moments in the middle where they dragged a little, but other than that, I had a great time with it. I also hope it wins the sound awards because of the sound mixing and editing of the races were incredible. They really immersed you into what was happening, especially the France race at night.

I also wondered if these races still existed. I can’t really get into racing, but I do enjoy putting them on during my weekend naps.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Not only do Le Mans and similar races still exist, big auto manufacturers like Mercedes, Audi, and Toyota commit major resources to competing in them. Ford won Le Mans in 2016 with a new version of the Ford GT:

gt_lemans_win_800%20(15).jpg

There are also endurance racing series that are televised here in the US- Blancpain and WeatherTech being two good ones. These races are shorter than 24 hours but feature some of the same cars that compete at Le Mans, Daytona, etc.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
24 hour races are kind of hard to watch though. ..

I watch F1, its got that nostalgia with Ferrari plus the amazing tracks. On 2nd watch, this really is a well-done movie considering the scope of content they attempted to include. The race scenes are spectacular and Bale really did a good job with Miles.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad