For the Philadelphia Flyers, Issues Start at the Top with Owner Ed Snider

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
This is a great story posted on The Hockey Guys late last night by Jake Pavorsky.

"For the Philadelphia Flyers, Issues Start at the Top with Owner Ed Snider": http://thehockeyguys.net/for-the-philadelphia-flyers-issues-start-at-the-top-with-owner-ed-snider/

In today’s press conference, a defensive Ed Snider made one thing clear: ‘We don’t need a fresh perspective.’

Au contraire, Mr. Snider, the Flyers desperately need a fresh perspective.

The only thing stopping them from it is you.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Don't know why I clicked the link. I guess everyone's an expert and knows the ins and outs of an organization even when they're not apart of it.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I guess this will be the new hivemind opinion on the Flyers that the rest of the hockey world won't let go of.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm actually glad that there is more scrutiny on management of late...

I heard some arguments in favor of Snider's approach today on the radio....I thought they were pretty valid from the reporter who made them however I'm more in agreement that Snider's meddling needs to be tempered and the cosa nostra family business approach is a bit much. I guess we'll see how this next season of All in the Family pans out.

I just want to see a better product and some consistency and get back to winning. One thing for sure..Berube will demand it. I just hope from here forward we can stop spinning our wheels like the last couple of seasons.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This **** is so dishonest it makes me sick. The fact Berube wasn't given the Interim tag in no way means he is guaranteed to be here next season. Nothing is stopping them from moving on to another coach after riding out the season with Berube.

And then all of a sudden, Snider and Holmgren opted to give assistant and former Flyer Craig Berube the job, along with a shiny, two year deal to go with it.

No “interim” tag.

Riding the season out with Berube and then conducting a coaching search in the offseason was apparently not an option. Berube was the guy, whether you liked it or not.

It was irrational, it was irresponsible. It was the Flyers way

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I can summarize this article:

I'm going to say controversial things based on little to no substance in the hopes I get people riled up so they click on my link and I make money.

Is that about right?

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
As far as I'm concerned, Ed Snider can run the organization into the ground for as long as he lives and I don't care. He earned it.

More broadly, no one has more invested in the Flyers or wants them to win more than he does.

People who blame him for the teams problems really need to consider what they're saying. Most of them way overestimate his power: he's the chairman, sure, but the corporation would go on just fine if he dropped dead today - they have professionals doing their jobs all through the organization. Beyond that, there's a very fine line between making constructive comments about how ownership could improve its practice vs. trying to run ownership out of town, and anyone who crosses the line is wasting their breath.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Complete garbage.

He spends to the cap every year and lets his GM make bold moves. What the heck else do you want in an "owner." I guess teams that have never won a cup had better stop even trying since they come from such a history of losing. I'm mad I wasted my time reading it.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

I'm going to say controversial things based on little to no substance in the hopes I get people riled up so they click on my link and I make money.

Is that about right?

anyone remember back when journalism was about actual storys with facts ???

not just some ave. joe voicing his opinion on stuff and claiming its the real deal story !!!

SIGH, no wonder Snider just about told the reporters to **** off... they had it coming...

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Outside fans perspective of the Flyers is not only off, it is often nothing but idiotic.

Flyers trading Carter was a mistake because he won a cup with the team after? Ugh NO.

Flyers issue is their D and goaltending. Why would the Flyers trade a D man, they need D? Ugh NO.

I have given up on the main board, but even reputable writers like Friedman mention idiotic things.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, Ed Snider can run the organization into the ground for as long as he lives and I don't care. He earned it.

More broadly, no one has more invested in the Flyers or wants them to win more than he does.

People who blame him for the teams problems really need to consider what they're saying. Most of them way overestimate his power: he's the chairman, sure, but the corporation would go on just fine if he dropped dead today - they have professionals doing their jobs all through the organization. Beyond that, there's a very fine line between making constructive comments about how ownership could improve its practice vs. trying to run ownership out of town, and anyone who crosses the line is wasting their breath.

I agree with you 100%

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
This **** is so dishonest it makes me sick. The fact Berube wasn't given the Interim tag in no way means he is guaranteed to be here next season. Nothing is stopping them from moving on to another coach after riding out the season with Berube.
Yep, Lavi was just given an extension. Hundreds of coaches have been fired after getting extensions.

Is that about right?

Pretty much

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Glad I didn't click on it. From the title, and the fact it's thehockeyguys, you pretty well know it's crapola. Not as bad as PuckDaddy but almost.

No, I'd say puck daddy is above them. At least puckdady can make is articles somewhat funny.

JakePavorsky

Oct 8, 2013

Is that about right?

Actually, that would be incorrect. I don't get paid for what I write, so it's not about the pageviews here. To the point one of you made that the Flyers could still fire Berube at the end of the year, sure, but then there was no reason to give him a 2 year deal. Yes, Laviolette still had another year left on his extension, but he was still with the team for a year (and three games) after. It wasn't like he got an extension last season and they fired him just a few months later.

To those who enjoyed my article, thanks. For those who didn't, I'll take the criticism to heart as I continue to write about the team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The reason for the two year deal and no Interim tag is to make sure the players know the Flyers are committed to him as much as any new coach.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Actually, that would be incorrect. I don't get paid for what I write, so it's not about the pageviews here. To the point one of you made that the Flyers could still fire Berube at the end of the year, sure, but then there was no reason to give him a 2 year deal. Yes, Laviolette still had another year left on his extension, but he was still with the team for a year (and three games) after. It wasn't like he got an extension last season and they fired him just a few months later.

To those who enjoyed my article, thanks. For those who didn't, I'll take the criticism to heart as I continue to write about the team.

I love that last sentence. It shows that you care about what you write. I've appreciated a lot of your prospect updates/insights in the past but this one to me was an inaccurate direction of blame. An owner that spends not only up to the cap but way over it with buyouts isn't to blame for this record right now. If your attitude is one of being open to others opinions and learning as you go you might be the next Meltzer: a reporter I and many others respect. Having the ability to join the forum already puts your intelligence level above most of the other writers/ reporters save Bill and Baicker. I still hated the article though. :naughty:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He's sort of right and sort of wrong. I always imagine Holmgren and Snider spend the offseason in some vault a mile under the sports complex, devouring stimulants and packing suitcases full of cash to present to some 32 year old who made an All Star team once. The team is always good-to-very good. But the Flyers' culture is as much money as it is hockey. It's their answer for everything. The team is always good, unlike the Pens or Hawks even, because the attendance is always good and the money always rolls in. And they are always ready to roll it out, any amount. In the summer of Parise, Suter and Weber, they offered out three contracts in the $100 million range. Who does that?

I love it, but I recognize the impatience and irrationality and reliance on the dollar pill are not really the best way too about things. The Wings have an identity and culture. The Wings have results, I don't remember the Wings out there trying to buy any toy with a speck of shine left on it.

The Flyers always keep me entertained and I love the team and Ed Snider. I love the tough identity and how much hate they get and how they have no respect for other franchises. It's wonderful. But the impatience, the orgies of spending and firing, the constant shuffling and scraping with the cap, it's like junkie behavior. Just wait, be smart about things, stay decent and organize yourself into a champ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad