For the Philadelphia Flyers, Issues Start at the Top with Owner Ed Snider

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
i dont get the logic. homer is trade happy but bryz was sniders fault so hextall will be gm because puppets?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
No, he's really not.

...but he is. I am a lifelong Flyers fan. I have been following this organization for two decades. And you know what? I have always thought this. **** it. It isn't Holmgren. It isn't luck. It's mentality. We drafted Forsberg. You remember that? We drafted that dude. We traded him and a bunch of other dudes for the shiny piece. And Eric Lindros is one of my favorite hockey players of all time. And at the moment I am staring at a Lindros jersey, no C, rookie season Lindros jersey, which I have owned that long. And you know what? That trade was not the right move.

If you walk up to a woman and scream "HEY YOU WANNA GO HOME WITH ME RIGHT NOW!?" she probably won't. If you scheme a little and make the right nods and eyes and say the right things you got a shot with anyone. That's how I see this organization. Screaming for it. And the defense is "well we always try." Right. Your virgin friend always tries and the reason he never got it was because he doesn't know how. Sit back. Scheme a little. Let things grow and marinate. Forcing the issue is the ethos of the Flyers and it should not be.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Here is the number of appearances in the Stanley Cup Finals since the Flyers have entered the league:

Team || Finals Appearances
Montreal Canadiens || 11
Boston Bruins || 9
Philadelphia Flyers || 8
Edmonton Oilers || 7
Detroit Red Wings || 6
Chicago Blackhawks || 5
New Jersey Devils || 5
New York Islanders || 5
Dallas Stars / Minnesota North Stars || 4
Pittsburgh Penguins || 4
Calgary Flames || 3
New York Rangers || 3
St. Louis Blues || 3
Vancouver Canucks || 3
Anaheim Ducks || 2
Buffalo Sabres || 2
Carolina Hurricanes || 2
Colorado Avalanche || 2
Florida Panthers || 1
Ottawa Senators || 1
Tampa Bay Lightning || 1
Washington Capitals || 1

Looks like their perspective is just fine.

Last edited:

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
...but he is. I am a lifelong Flyers fan. I have been following this organization for two decades. And you know what? I have always thought this. **** it. It isn't Holmgren. It isn't luck. It's mentality. We drafted Forsberg. You remember that? We drafted that dude. We traded him and a bunch of other dudes for the shiny piece. And Eric Lindros is one of my favorite hockey players of all time. And at the moment I am staring at a Lindros jersey, no C, rookie season Lindros jersey, which I have owned that long. And you know what? That trade was not the right move.

If you walk up to a woman and scream "HEY YOU WANNA GO HOME WITH ME RIGHT NOW!?" she probably won't. If you scheme a little and make the right nods and eyes and say the right things you got a shot with anyone. That's how I see this organization. Screaming for it. And the defense is "well we always try." Right. Your virgin friend always tries and the reason he never got it was because he doesn't know how. Sit back. Scheme a little. Let things grow and marinate. Forcing the issue is the ethos of the Flyers and it should not be.

Lindros was the right move. He was everything as advertised, you can't predict injuries. The problem was the surrounding talent. I mean, they had Brent Fedyk as one of his wingers.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Lindros was the right move. He was everything as advertised, you can't predict injuries. The problem was the surrounding talent. I mean, they had Brent Fedyk as one of his wingers.
Crazy 8s! Yes! LOL....Recchi was no slouch, though.

And yea, no question that Lindros > Forsberg, injuries notwithstanding.

Cromster

Dec 4, 2010
New London, CT
Yeah Snider's getting old and more single minded by the day, but a lot of fans don't know how lucky we are to have an owner like Ed. I believe that man would sell his soul for another Cup. Think of all the teams out there with ownership issues. Look at the mess in Phoenix for the last however many years. Think of all those cap floor teams. That's never going to be us because of Snider.

Sure he meddles more than he should, but honestly remember when he came out and said "yeah i'm tired of the goalie carousel. the ****'s gonna stop"? We loved him for that at the time because we felt the same way. Bryz was bad, but hindsight is always 20/20. If Bryz turned out great, there never would have been any mumblings about Snider meddling with the team. The only reason there was is because it didn't work out.

You may disagree with me now, but you're going to miss Ed Snider when he's gone.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
No, I'd say puck daddy is above them. At least puckdady can make is articles somewhat funny.

I assume that those who write for PuckDaddy are at least paid though. Hockeyguys seems to be pretty much fans and kids who are writing in their spare time for free. As it is, I don't agree with the article, but I do appreciate that it can be difficult to sit down and churn out a 500-600 word piece knowing that you're only reward is going to be more experience.

If people feel that strongly the more prominent fan sites aren't producing good enough content about the Flyers, they know what to do. Start writing themselves. That's the beauty of the internet. :D

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
I believe the flyers franchise winning percentage is in the top 3 as well.

The rangers have similar big spending big trading habits and they get a free pass because they won in 94? It's BS. The wings were horrible until bowman got to town and their drafting was somehow incredible. The pens fielded AHL teams tanking, then become the pet project of the commish. The hawks didn't intentionally tank, their owner was just really really cheap, drafted well. Boston took a mulligan for a few seasons, robbed the leafs of picks and have chara.

Snider wants to win, the fans give him the cash to spend to the limit. The flyers are never boring and always relevant. What more do you want from an organization? And yes, when the do get to the finals, they usually have horrible injury issues which go all the way back to bernie getting hurt trying to 3 peat in the 70s.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Snider wants to win, the fans give him the cash to spend to the limit. The flyers are never boring and always relevant. What more do you want from an organization?

how about a team that isn't regularly outworked ...... a team that goes balls out all the time.

a team that doesn't [as hartsy said] go thru the motions ....

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah Snider's getting old and more single minded by the day, but a lot of fans don't know how lucky we are to have an owner like Ed. I believe that man would sell his soul for another Cup. Think of all the teams out there with ownership issues. Look at the mess in Phoenix for the last however many years. Think of all those cap floor teams. That's never going to be us because of Snider.

Sure he meddles more than he should, but honestly remember when he came out and said "yeah i'm tired of the goalie carousel. the ****'s gonna stop"? We loved him for that at the time because we felt the same way. Bryz was bad, but hindsight is always 20/20. If Bryz turned out great, there never would have been any mumblings about Snider meddling with the team. The only reason there was is because it didn't work out.

You may disagree with me now, but you're going to miss Ed Snider when he's gone.

Nope, as long as Comcast is still in the picture the Flyers won't miss a beat.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Here is the number of appearances in the Stanley Cup Finals since the Flyers have entered the league:

Team || Finals Appearances
Montreal Canadiens || 11
Boston Bruins || 9
Philadelphia Flyers || 8
Edmonton Oilers || 7
Detroit Red Wings || 6
Chicago Blackhawks || 5
New Jersey Devils || 5
New York Islanders || 5
Dallas Stars / Minnesota North Stars || 4
Pittsburgh Penguins || 4
Calgary Flames || 3
New York Rangers || 3
St. Louis Blues || 3
Vancouver Canucks || 3
Anaheim Ducks || 2
Buffalo Sabres || 2
Carolina Hurricanes || 2
Colorado Avalanche || 2
Florida Panthers || 1
Ottawa Senators || 1
Tampa Bay Lightning || 1
Washington Capitals || 1

Looks like their perspective is just fine.

Exactly, The media members can F off for all i am concerned. The culture and the dedication to excellence that this organization brings is always mentioned when free agents come into town.

If you measure success by stanley cups then you are setting yourself up for failure. Winning cups take so much planning, and so much luck. Imagine one ping pong ball lost us a cup in 2010, and cost us a generational player.

That is how crazy these things are.

If you react to things on a day to day basis you will literally drive yourself insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->