For the old timers... where is your head at?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Seconded! Congrats on the second retirement.

Does it help anyone else's head space to see the results of the first round?

Tampa,,, Swept??? Most surprising for sure.
Calgary maybe not super surprising but they were the top seed in the conference.
Caps, first round exit after winning the cup!?
Knights, with all their moves and player signings, out after a SCF appearance last year.
Penguins swept!
Toronto out with Matthews, Taveras, and the guy that is considered the best coach around.
Jets out and though that isn't a huge surprise when the playoffs started if you would have said they'd lose to the Blues back in November people would have thought you were nuts.

That's all 8 series that have somewhat of a surprise or unlikely twist to them. And honestly, it helps to see others teams failing too. Rather than all the teams meeting expectation except for the Preds.

I have posted about this very topic in other threads, but for me- absolutely it does. I feel MUCH better about our ouster seeing that it isn't just us. All 4 division winners and 7 out of the top 10 in league- OUT.

If the Preds got knocked out while all the other favorites advanced? That for me would have been much more painful.

It has always been a truth that it is dang hard to win in the playoffs- but this year that has been taken to a new level. Just winning one series is a huge accomplishment this year.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I guess the difference for me is that I went into this series knowing there was a decent chance this would be a 50/50 series. It has felt that way all season for the Preds. I doubt most of the other 'top' teams had that feeling. I'm sure Calgary and Tampa Bay didn't.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
other teams losing has zero effect on my anger. zero. in fact it might make it worse because of all the good teams eliminated made a possible path much easier.

This x 1000. Boston managed to survive and I would say they are a heavy favorite for the Cup now.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I do miss the old boards and the meet up by the glass before each game back in the day, those were good times, indeed.
It had died out a lot after the second lockout but there were still 3 or 4 of us who'd meet up. When Pattypred could no longer navigate the area and then got rid of her ST's it died off completely. Those were fun times, for sure. Maybe we should all get together at a bar to cheer against someone still in the playoffs. Ha!

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I keep harping on this but I don't like this build anymore. Defensemen now have changed. They don't carry as much but short quick passes to the forwards on quick aggressive breakouts are now the way the nhl is. We have to adapt our thinking.

It seems like we were ahead of the curve pre-lockout with the philosophy of speed and a stable of PMD, but back then didn't have the payroll to compete. Now that the payroll is even, we're behind the curve in team building.

Things change so fast these days across the league, and if Poile is going to cling to his signature philosophy, we might be in trouble going forward.

Reactions: triggrman

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
It had died out a lot after the second lockout but there were still 3 or 4 of us who'd meet up. When Pattypred could no longer navigate the area and then got rid of her ST's it died off completely. Those were fun times, for sure. Maybe we should all get together at a bar to cheer against someone still in the playoffs. Ha!

I tried to organize a get together at a game with Adz a couple years back for a game I was attending, we did not find anyone at the spot.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
This was one of the hardest seasons to watch that I can remember. I miss the times when you felt the Preds were in the games all the time, no matter what. This and last year's team were missing that extra something and came out flat too much or would fall-apart in games and let in multiple goals really quickly, no lead felt safe. Something as simple as a goal being called back and the whole team had their heads down. Combine that with a coaching staff that doesn't have a real system or who makes big adjustments and it was a recipe for disaster. The players looked lost out there and looked like they were having to just play as individuals making something happen instead of a team buying into a system; players played like they had no confidence in the coaching staff. Given Lavi's history, it isn't surprising, this happens to him everywhere he goes. Too many underachieving players; has to be a coaching issue.

Hopefully Poile doesn't screw up and trade Subban but that's looking likely now.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I keep harping on this but I don't like this build anymore. Defensemen now have changed. They don't carry as much but short quick passes to the forwards on quick aggressive breakouts are now the way the nhl is. We have to adapt our thinking.

It seems like we were ahead of the curve pre-lockout with the philosophy of speed and a stable of PMD, but back then didn't have the payroll to compete. Now that the payroll is even, we're behind the curve in team building.

Things change so fast these days across the league, and if Poile is going to cling to his signature philosophy, we might be in trouble going forward.
Agreed and oddly enough the Preds have gotten more aggressive with their defense while the league as a whole has pulled back on that philosophy. Support the offense opportunistically and play solid defense, don't be the offense.

Reactions: triggrman

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
The other major issue I noticed this year more so than in prior years was the number of times our D-men pinched or joined the rush unsuccessfully and gave up an odd-man rush. Ellis and Subban in particular seemed to be the most frequent offenders - not sure if it's because their efforts were poorly timed or if they tried to be too fancy rather than just closing off the boards and not letting the puck get past them, but I can't tell you the number of times I sighed as I saw #4 or #76 bombing into the circle only to watch the other team streak past them with the puck.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I tried to organize a get together at a game with Adz a couple years back for a game I was attending, we did not find anyone at the spot.
I only know of the tradition because @BigFatCat999 told me about it, and at one point we tried to meet folks there during one of those rare times when he and I make it to a game (read: I think it's been like two or three times total). Got to meet pattypred, which was pretty awesome - and, admittedly, that's more meetup attempts than I've ever attempted up here in Columbus. (What can I say? I'm paranoid and antisocial when a keyboard isn't involved, and need existing friends to pressure me. ;) )

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I only know of the tradition because @BigFatCat999 told me about it, and at one point we tried to meet folks there during one of those rare times when he and I make it to a game (read: I think it's been like two or three times total). Got to meet pattypred, which was pretty awesome - and, admittedly, that's more meetup attempts than I've ever attempted up here in Columbus. (What can I say? I'm paranoid and antisocial when a keyboard isn't involved, and need existing friends to pressure me. ;) )
You met me, too...or at least I met YOU! Ha ha! There was one time that BFC was there and I guess we just didn't recognize each other--it had been awhile--but he contacted me and we did get to meet. I don't remember now if it was that time or another time that I met you.

I get it. I was so nervous about actually meeting people at first, but after awhile I threw my shyness aside for the fun factor. I still get those butterflies, though. My natural instinct is to let others find me.

Reactions: Viqsi

sighthndlady

Sep 29, 2006
This was one of the hardest seasons to watch that I can remember. I miss the times when you felt the Preds were in the games all the time, no matter what. This and last year's team were missing that extra something and came out flat too much or would fall-apart in games and let in multiple goals really quickly, no lead felt safe. Something as simple as a goal being called back and the whole team had their heads down. Combine that with a coaching staff that doesn't have a real system or who makes big adjustments and it was a recipe for disaster. The players looked lost out there and looked like they were having to just play as individuals making something happen instead of a team buying into a system; players played like they had no confidence in the coaching staff. Given Lavi's history, it isn't surprising, this happens to him everywhere he goes. Too many underachieving players; has to be a coaching issue.

Hopefully Poile doesn't screw up and trade Subban but that's looking likely now.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. This year, it seemed that there was no system. So each player felt he had to do it all himself. The result was lack of team play: lousy passing, missed assignments in both zones, players holding their sticks too tight. The regular season games, frankly, weren't very much fun because you just had no confidence they could even hang on. They got blown out once every 5 and had what felt like almost no blowouts in their favor. I was not the least bit surprised by the early exist.

And I am very, very disappointed that we are apparently going with the same for next year. How long will it be before our best players don't want to resign?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You met me, too...or at least I met YOU! Ha ha! There was one time that BFC was there and I guess we just didn't recognize each other--it had been awhile--but he contacted me and we did get to meet. I don't remember now if it was that time or another time that I met you.

I get it. I was so nervous about actually meeting people at first, but after awhile I threw my shyness aside for the fun factor. I still get those butterflies, though. My natural instinct is to let others find me.
It may have been. I can never remember which of you two I went on the extended anti-Balsillie rant with, either. ;)

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
I need to check in here more, wow the old times on the *****Official Preds Board******* lol. Glad to see some of the old names still here. Its been a week, I have not calmed down about it, if anything I am more mad than I was. Even yesterday, I saw a billboard that said 'Thank You Fans" and I stuck my hand out the window and flipped it off. Glad another diver did not think that was directed and them and have a road rage incident. I feel much the same as Joetimo, I have not been this mad since the 2006/07 back to back 1-4s vs the Sharks. After that I was so mad I got close to getting kicked off the board, but only got a suspension. Though that was met soon with concerns of losing the team and washed all that away. This time we have the entire off season to stew. And these stupid Im A tRuE fAn folks on PredsFacebook make it worse. Though they are fun to antagonize. This season was a failure, yes they won the Central but the KO in the first round was awful, plus keeping both Assistants when there are some huge problems. They can add another Assistant, hope they do at least that, and we will see what player changes can be made. Basically an entire season in the window with this crop of players was wasted.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
It may have been. I can never remember which of you two I went on the extended anti-Balsillie rant with, either. ;)
I'm short and brunette. Patty is a little taller and has blonde hair.

I don't remember an extended rant, so I'm guessing it was Patty. I think we talked about your work on the Atlanta Thrashers Poster draft, which was hilarious and dead on.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Pred fan since my family moved here in '00, I've since moved away but most of my siblings still live close enough to go to games.

I just feel like this team doesn't have "IT" that we've shown in the past. I've said it somewhere else but Columbus and Carolina had fun this year, they're playing the game with passion and I think they'll be happy with their seasons no matter how far they get in the playoffs.

We look disjointed. I don't know if that's because of our leadership in the locker room or behind the bench, or injuries, but something needs to change if we want to compete with the big boys.

Reactions: Predarat

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Where I'm at is we're all mind numbingly frustrated at a season that we won the division. 6 of the top 9 (nice) teams lost in the first round. All 4 wild card teams won. It was a weird year. We should be alright. That said, Turris and Ellis have horrible contracts and McCarthy has no business on this staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad