For the old timers... where is your head at?

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I wanted to ask a question for those of us that were on the old Preds board or have been here for 10 yearsish...

How are you all doing? I have to admit, this season has been the most frustrating time I've ever had watching Preds hockey. That even includes the 2006-2007 playoff mess. I already committed to season tickets next year, so I'm locked in, but if I was up for renewal, I'd seriously be questioning it.

I want to see if I'm alone in feeling that way or if you all are good. And for those that don't know my original SN on the old boards was Joetimo.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
There were many frustrating games ... so many things that just didn't seem to make sense ... but such is sports. It was like something was amiss behind the locker room door for most of the season and it's unlikely that we'll know what it was for some time.

The league's worst PP%, franchise's worst since the 98-99 season ... yet somehow taking the regular season division title and putting up the 5th highest goal total in team history. A mediocre PP% puts this team up there with its scoring from the Kariya/Sullivan days.

Arvy and Forsberg miss a combined 42 games ... score a combined 62 goals ... yet the PP sucked with them on the 1st unit when healthy ... one total goal for them in the playoffs.

The team starting hot ... getting hit by a series of injuries in rapid succession ... then never truly clicking consistently once the roster came back from IR starting in January.

The string of Saturday home losses.

Reactions: Enoch

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Frustrated but not going anywhere. This season was pretty draining to watch with the underachieving from December forward. I almost feel a sense of relief it's over today. I'm optimistic we can make a few changes in the offseason and make another strong run at it next year.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This in no way compares to the 2013 season--the half lockout year where we were so bad we got the 4th overall pick. That was just awful. That was probably the only time I really came close to not renewing. But I did and the next year was pretty fun. As far as playoff seasons, we got so spoiled by that Stanley Cup run 2 years ago. As my friend says, it was lightning in a bottle. Everything clicked, everything fell into place except the last 2 games. It won't be replicated so we have to make do with a "normal" playoff season now--and normal means we are out in the first or second round. Is this the worst--nope, I'd say the series we played Phoenix/AZ was the worst for me. That was a huge letdown.

I've resigned myself to the knowledge that I am addicted to this game so I've already renewed. My son is returning from Japan, my sister is moving to Nashville, my frequent companion is not moving as he'd thought he might, my granddaughter is becoming a big fan...so I have people to go with and I enjoy it.

I'm good. Game 6 was enough to see the "real" Preds shine through a little. There was heart. They'll be all right and so will I. They may never win a Cup in my lifetime, but the social aspect and the friends I've made through hockey are important, too.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
I wanted to ask a question for those of us that were on the old Preds board or have been here for 10 yearsish...

How are you all doing? I have to admit, this season has been the most frustrating time I've ever had watching Preds hockey.

Same for me. The performance this year makes me wonder if the Cup run and President's Trophy performances are the outliers, and what we really have is an average team. We're all quick to say that the team underperformed, and that's what is frustrating many of us, but I'm more concerned that maybe what we have is a bad combination of coaching and personnel and this is the new normal - an average team with a couple of above average talents. We've discussed the PP ad nauseum, so no need to go there.

All that said, my support for the team will never waver, and I'm hoping this offseason brings a few changes to get things back on track.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
I think we were spoiled by the Cup run. Yes, we should be contenting for a championship. Yes, we have a lot of fair weather fans who don't know who Shea Weber is. But, I'll take a 100 point season over what this team has been through in the past in a heart beat. Of all the possible problems we could have, this isn't the worst. We're still a good hockey team, as frustrating as it is.

Reactions: Adz

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
As many of you know , I am from the Great 2011 Thrashers Diaspora. Hard to believe its been 8 years.

The past 8 years of being a Preds fan has been very rewarding and I love the franchise, the city (although it aint no Atlanta), and enjoy y'all and most of the fans on this sub forum. Lucky to have a core group of Preds fans I can watch games with in my new home of SLC, UT.

However, this season has been a real let down. I would say my give a shit level has been at an all time low and my pessimism/cynicism at an all time high.

I miss those gritty teams from the Trotz era or the suprisingly high flying early Laviolette teams. I think the 2015 playoff run was probably the most fun year from my perspective.

This year was definitely the worst.

We've lost the win at all costs mentality, resilience, and grit I admired from these teams.

Guys like Forsberg, Josi, PK, even Arvidsson are on my shit list right now.

I want to see major changes and big moves made in the offseason.

Its clear Lavi has to go.

Its clear PK and Ellis need to go.

I'd even look into trading one of Arvy or Forsberg

I want Smith to never wear a Preds Sweater ever again.

Rocco for Captain

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
For me, it is all about perspective. I am always completely devastated after we are eliminated from the playoffs. It almost feels like a death as ridiculous as that sounds.

But I still think some perspective is in order here. As is human nature, there is a WHOLE LOT of overreacting going on. And I get it, that is just the way the world is.

As many have mentioned already, I don’t think there is any question that the Cup run pretty much ruined and spoiled a large part of this fan base. Now, there is a large percentage of our fans who think that just because we have a leading contender, that we should/are going to make deep run every year and if we don’t heads have to roll.

But it is just not realistic. The Cup run year is not the norm nor is it ever going to be. The past two seasons, which have everyone looking for a tall building to jump off of, are the norm for just about any franchise. Anyone who expects to go to the Conference finals or SCF regularly, even when you have a loaded roster?? You are just fooling yourself. It ain’t gonna happen, and that is ok. We are not going to win a playoff series every year, no matter how good our roster is. Years like this one are going to happen.

Everyone is crushed today. I get it completely. I am. But the fact remains that over the past 4 years, other than the teams that actually won the Cup, you can make a strong argument that the Preds have had more success than any team in the league. Other than Cup winner, name me a franchise who you would trade the last 4 years with. There aren’t many, if any.

And perspective- just think about the fact the Toronto has not made it out of the first round since 2004. (2004!!!!!) Or Carolina, who made the playoffs for the first time in a decade this year. Or Columbus- who before this year had NEVER won a playoff series. Or how about former Thrashers fans. Over a decade with ZERO playoff wins. You can go on and on. Despite our crushing disappointment we are feeling right now, we still have it pretty darn good as Nashville Predators fan.

Finally, something I keep going back to that I wish I could stop thinking about. Seeing how hard it is to win in the playoffs these past 2 years even with a loaded roster, I keep going back to that 2017 Cup run. I will go to my grave believing that was our year to win the Cup. No doubt in my mind. I don’t think that was a super great Penguins team, and had we not suffered those horrible injuries, we would have won the Cup- should have won the cup. Heck, we almost won it in spite of the injuries. Just very painful to think back to that after the huge disappointment of the past couple of years.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If one does not deal well with things not meeting hopes and expectations then they probably shouldn't be a sports fan. Disappointment is part of it.

See, this is the temperament you want from a man who controls artillery.

It's the temperament I do and must have as a surgeon.

But sports is my emotional outlet. It's where I can be a screaming irrational nutjob and nobody (aside from my wife) has to suffer any consequences.

So where I am as a fan right now is: "DAMN YOU BASTARDS IM DONE WITH THIS SHIT JUST f***ING SHOOT ME ILL NEVER WATCH HOCKEY AGAIN!!!!"

But that will pass. And just like Charlie Brown and the football, I'll be back for another season of torture.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
If one does not deal well with things not meeting hopes and expectations then they probably shouldn't be a sports fan. Disappointment is part of it.

I don't know about anyone else, but for me disappointment is not just a part of it, it is the MAJORITY of it.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I feel like there is something missing with this team. And it has been missing since we lost in the Finals. I think that they still haven't fully recovered from losing in the Finals.

I think the run to the Finals gave the team a sense of entitlement. That they were just going to be granted a free spot in the Finals. Everything came easily to them during the season. They didn't face much adversity (that I can remember). Then the playoffs came and they couldn't "flip the switch."

This season was almost the same except we had a lot of injuries. And for whatever reason they couldn't find that spark again that they had at the beginning of the season. But they had enough talent that they didn't have to expend a lot of energy to stay in first place (plus the other teams were just as flawed). And again they couldn't find that next gear in the playoffs.

And then add in the absurdity of the power play this year. The players know the stats, they hear it from coaches, media, fans. At this point it's also mental. I think they get so frustrated and start looking for the perfect shot instead of just relaxing and trying to exploit what the PK is giving them. Regardless, someone has to be held accountable for that all-time awful power play. It ultimately cost us the first round. That can't be left unchanged.

But I still go back to something missing. From the team on the ice to the front office, everything has become so serious. I mean, the whole organization doesn't seem to have the same heart/joy/passion that they used to have. And I'm taking about front office, coaches, players, atmosphere in the arena, the city. The heart seems to be missing from some of the more veteran players and they sometimes look like a bunch of entitled snobs out there.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I worked in sports. Disappointment is temporary because there is ALWAYS next year. Is it personnel or coaching? Getting meh from the deadline adds sucks like a hoover in a black hole. Getting 0 for 15 on the PP is damning for the coaches. I was pissed about the result. Now jettison Rinaldo, McLeod, resign Grimaldi unless someone is willing to make a offer sheet for him. (which I HIGHLY doubt) I have been rooting for this team since 2002. Am I an old timer?

Reactions: Predarat and Viqsi

NashvilleTypical

Feb 22, 2017
I feel like there is something missing with this team. And it has been missing since we lost in the Finals. I think that they still haven't fully recovered from losing in the Finals.

I think the run to the Finals gave the team a sense of entitlement. That they were just going to be granted a free spot in the Finals. Everything came easily to them during the season. They didn't face much adversity (that I can remember). Then the playoffs came and they couldn't "flip the switch."

This season was almost the same except we had a lot of injuries. And for whatever reason they couldn't find that spark again that they had at the beginning of the season. But they had enough talent that they didn't have to expend a lot of energy to stay in first place (plus the other teams were just as flawed). And again they couldn't find that next gear in the playoffs.

And then add in the absurdity of the power play this year. The players know the stats, they hear it from coaches, media, fans. At this point it's also mental. I think they get so frustrated and start looking for the perfect shot instead of just relaxing and trying to exploit what the PK is giving them. Regardless, someone has to be held accountable for that all-time awful power play. It ultimately cost us the first round. That can't be left unchanged.

But I still go back to something missing. From the team on the ice to the front office, everything has become so serious. I mean, the whole organization doesn't seem to have the same heart/joy/passion that they used to have. And I'm taking about front office, coaches, players, atmosphere in the arena, the city. The heart seems to be missing from some of the more veteran players and they sometimes look like a bunch of entitled snobs out there.

I lurk around the board and very rarely post. However, this post made me login to agree with everything that was stated above. The organization as a whole is still mired in the 2017 run. From the top of the organization to the bottom, it seems like everyone is still living in the afterglow of the 2017 postseason run. We all know how much fun the 2017 run was for all of us. Most of us didn't see it coming and it was the most fun I've ever had as a sports fan. However, it seems like the organization believes we are entitled to getting back there just because we were there years earlier. As we all know thats not how it works. We aren't owed anything. Each season is different, each team is different. Like the 61:35 slogan that the team had last season. Just because you were a game and 1:35 away from the Stanley Cup in the previous season doesn't mean that you get to start there again the following season.

From the top of the franchise to game operations, it seems like the entire organization is trying to remake the magic of the 2017 run. Something that happened so organically cannot be recreated. It is beyond time to retire "Glorious" before each period. It's time to retire the playoff anthem singers. It's time for this franchise to move past the 2017 playoff run. If this first round exit is what it takes for the organization to wake up out of the post-cup run daze, then it will probably be worth it in the end.

loyeks

Nov 11, 2017
Right this minute I’m irritated. That’s typical for me as the season unceremoniously ends.

The only time I was giddy after the Season ended was that first playoff series. It was like Nashville had arrived.

Worse I ever felt about this team had nothing to do with the on-ice game but the sale crap we had to go through.

The end of this season ranks in there with the loss to Phoenix in the 2nd round and the 2nd round disastrous game 7 at San Jose. The lower end of the totem pole but not the worse.

I never felt like this years team had it together. The inability to clear the Dzone, a problem over the last several years, was back. Sloppy, inaccurate passing developed. Dump-and-chase returned as a theme. Not just the Pitiful Play looked like the expansion team Predators.

I’ll be back next year. Just glad I have some time to lick the wounds.

Reactions: sparkle twin

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I have been on here for 11 years. The Cup run was a big thrill. The President's Cup was a big surprise.

This season was a big disappointment to me. The division title was nice, but losing in the first round was a bad ending. Dallas outscored and outplayed the Predators. Nashville had two 1 goal victories and scored 12 goals in six games, with 2 OTs. That is less than 2 GPG. Nashville gave up 6 goals in the first three games and 12 goals in the last three games. The defense looked disjointed and that ended the series.

This season reminded me of the 1971 Cincinnati Reds. They lost the 1970 WS to Baltimore 4-1 and just never got it going in the 1971 season, being under .500. The team made a big trade bringing in Joe Morgan, César Gerónimo, Jack Billingham, Ed Armbrister, and Denis Menke. In 1972, they went back to the WS and lost to Oakland 4-3. Those three years laid the foundation for the '75 and '76 WS wins.

I think the Preds should unload Subban if his health isn't better. He was slow and caught out of position too many times. I am also concerned about Ellis and his future with the team. Ekholm needs some anger management. Something needs to be done about the forwards. The Preds need another FF type player to lead a different line besides JOFA to big scoring. Turris needs to improve his game or next season is his last.

Saros should get 50% of the starts, barring injury to him or Pekka.

Reactions: Armourboy

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Yup, as so many have said better than I can, this is the worst I have felt since the beginning of the franchise. What sparkle twin said resonates.
This isn't just disappointment as a sports fan, a lot of us went from the beginning thru trotz and lockouts and damn liepold....

But I have felt down on the team since beginning of the year.. and that's not typical.

I thought lond and hard about renewing my season tickets in feb/march.....first time. I did renew but.....

Reactions: Armourboy

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
I watched last night's OT with the last amount of care I have ever watched a Predator's OT game. In fact, part of me wanted them to lose, because I knew getting bounced from the playoffs was unavoidable for this squad. Granted I got excited for a split second when Jarnkrok had the open net, but that excitement was quickly eliminated.

I watched this season less than I ever have. Outside of the first 16 games, they were simply not fun to watch. Having the most talent on paper we've ever had and to have such ho-hum results and on ice effort is extremely disappointing.

I see little room from improvement. Sure, maybe we can get a little better PP with new coach(es). Maybe add a player here and there. But the core of this team is the same, we're locked into them for a long time, and we have a horrible farm. I'm not optimistic about this franchise the next couple of years.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I originally signed up in 2001 or 2002, on the old, old Preds boards with the red stars. Only because that's where the Farmington (LaVergne) pickup games were posted.

Until 2017 we were basically always the overachieving underdogs. An organization built on heart and determination. There were plenty of heartbreaking moments over the years, but it was always still fun.

It's no longer that way. Expectations changed with real success. This season wasn't fun because there was never even a possibility to overachieve, only to meet expectations, which of course were missed by more than a bit.

It will never be the same. We might go through a lengthy rebuild at some point and kind of reset expectations and find joy in watching the team develop again. But it will never be the same as watching an expansion team come of age and ascend to the top.

Having said that, it's also necessary, otherwise we'll never achieve the ultimate goal.

There will be hope again soon. With the draft, free agency, a new training camp. I just hope that whatever happens next season, we can find some way to have more fun with it.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I watched last night's OT with the last amount of care I have ever watched a Predator's OT game. In fact, part of me wanted them to lose, because I knew getting bounced from the playoffs was unavoidable for this squad. Granted I got excited for a split second when Jarnkrok had the open net, but that excitement was quickly eliminated.

I watched this season less than I ever have. Outside of the first 16 games, they were simply not fun to watch. Having the most talent on paper we've ever had and to have such ho-hum results and on ice effort is extremely disappointing.

I see little room from improvement. Sure, maybe we can get a little better PP with new coach(es). Maybe add a player here and there. But the core of this team is the same, we're locked into them for a long time, and we have a horrible farm. I'm not optimistic about this franchise the next couple of years.

Your "horrible farm" finished their regular season with a 14 game point streak. The next best AHL team out of the other 30 had 5 games.

The Admirals finished second place in an eight team division. At the moment, they are playing in Des Moines in a 0-0 Game 2 against the Wild's farm team, who are equally as good, and start a goalie with 56 games of NHL experience in Andrew Hammond.

I forgot to add that Rocco Grimaldi came from Milwaukee. He was the guy that scored a few (3) of the Predators goals in the playoffs.

Last edited:

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Your "horrible farm" finished their regular season with a 14 game point streak. The next best AHL team out of the other 30 had 5 games.
I don't mean to offend the admirals fans, but I don't equate ahl W-L records to having a good prospect pool. But yes, Grimaldi was a good energy guy this year, but I doubt a long term answer for us.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
my head is always negative so i don't really think it's a surprise on my opinion.

i will say it was much more enjoyable to watch the less talented teams of years ago play than the current bunch. effort over skill 99% of the time unless you are comparing a forsberg to a 4th line plug.

i expect an active offseason and that laviolette is not fired.

Reactions: Predarat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->