OT: Football Thread

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Jets could have had Jesus backing up Rodgers last year,and it wouldn't have made a difference behind that O-line
I was just giving an example based on Rodgers and Kirks age. Penix has a injury history so that would have been a bit of a concern. Still Zach lasted. I actually would be considering drafting a QB in a lower round if I was the Jets but Rodgers might get upset. I was wondering if the Jets might look at Penix or Bo if they fell to the 3rd round.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rodgers backed up Favre for three years, he of all people should understand the wisdom in having a developmental quarterback behind an aging star. But he's also kind of an egotistical moron so maybe not.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Rodgers backed up Favre for three years, he of all people should understand the wisdom in having a developmental quarterback behind an aging star. But he's also kind of an egotistical moron so maybe not.
Rodgers was upset when GB drafted Jordan so the Jets probably do not want to risk upsetting him again.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Any draft pick can backfire but his rookie contract will probably not be much more than some backup QBs so I can see why they took a risk if they loved Penix ability. Kirk is not getting any younger (he turns 36 before the season starts) and 2 years is really not that long. The Jets would have liked to have a Penix last season when Rodgers went down.
You can adopt that posture at literally any other position on the field, but QB economics are totally and completely different. If you don't play the kid, it royally screws up your evaluation period and affects the salary cap in a manner different than almost any other financial decision the team can or will make.

Reactions: ponzu4u

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It's just too bad an OL drafted in the top 10 or so isn't versatile enough to slot in elsewhere if his primary position isn't available. Admittedly, I know very little about OL in general, so perhaps it's unnusual for them to be interchangable.
It’s the same thing with will McDonald last year. He might be a good player but if you draft a player at 15 who barely plays you did something wrong.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm watching Dan Orlovsky on ESPN. I think he does a really good job despite him sometimes trying to justify bad calls in his past. So on the TV he is asking, "do you know how easy it is to play quarterback with a great receiver like Justin Jefferson"? I totally get his point but the reason it made me LOL a bit is Dan Orlovsky had Megatron Calvin Johnson as his receiever. Megatron is one of the best ever no question. So Dan what happened? :D

Truth is the quarterback is a dependent position. So many things have to go right starting with the right play calls and offensive line being able to block. Its rarely just is a QB good.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It’s the same thing with will McDonald last year. He might be a good player but if you draft a player at 15 who barely plays you did something wrong.

Like i said, Fashanu WILL play.

Jets O-line gets mauled by injuries every season. And the 3 guys ahead of him (Smith, Moses, Vera-Tucker) are injury prone as hell.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The draft is cool and also not cool because it is filled with so much optimism. Thinking of all the can't miss type QB talk the last few months. I think it would be interesting to show clips of these same talking heads when Jamis Winston going 1 and 2. Or Zach and Trey Lance going 2 and 3. Even last summer a main talking head on ESPN had Justin Fields as a MVP favorite. I'm not sure but I think one of them even implied Mac Jones could bring NE back to the Superbowl.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Here is part of the 2021 draft. What a difference 3 years makes for some kids. Compared Zach to Joe Burrow. Went from "savior" to scrap heap in 3 seasons.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The draft is cool and also not cool because it is filled with so much optimism. Thinking of all the can't miss type QB talk the last few months. I think it would be interesting to show clips of these same talking heads when Jamis Winston going 1 and 2. Or Zach and Trey Lance going 2 and 3. Even last summer a main talking head on ESPN had Justin Fields as a MVP favorite. I'm not sure but I think one of them even implied Mac Jones could bring NE back to the Superbowl.
The ESPN has a write up on every single prospect, even the ones drafted in the 7th round, and there’s not a negative to be said about any of these players.

Which is nice , but to get a real feeling for what player your team selected i’d
like to know what his weaknesses might be,

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The ESPN has a write up on every single prospect, even the ones drafted in the 7th round, and there’s not a negative to be said about any of these players.

Which is nice , but to get a real feeling for what player your team selected i’d
like to know what his weaknesses might be,
Sometimes I read things and think wow this guy sounds great and then he is cut early in camp and I'm like what happened? Its a great day for the draft picks though. Some of the first rounders are crazy arrogant but watch the phone calls to some of the guys drafted 3rd round and below. Its awesome to hear how grateful some of them are. It may be the best days of their lives. Their dream come true.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The Jets taking Jordan Travis is perfect. He can't see the field this season, but he's a very good athlete and sound QB and by all accounts an amazing leader.

He was my favorite of the later round guys. If he gets to play in the playoffs, which he would have without his injury, he probably goes 2nd round.

He has two guys that can really help him. Watching Rodgers work will be great for him and Tyrod is probably the best mentor/vet for a young QB. A+ level human.

I don't know what his ceiling is, but I see a starting level QB in the mold of the current Geno Smith.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
ok gotta make this short + sweet
Jets 2024 draft - 1st selection was sold
generally not a fan given alternative choices

yeah, they got at good WR
and MAYBE the late DB from the CFL who looks like he has skills will be tall enuf to make the cut

but while the mid-late RBs add freshness/depth, we had other needs
I wanna like/root for the QB we took, as he shows several +s/intangibles -- but he is under 6'2, on the short side. Is this guy gonna be Doug Flute II?

More critically, we should not have traded down w/DET, who was smart w/earlier pick they got from us, taking OT Giovanni Manu, a 300 pounder behmoth around 6'8. We are still WAY TOO THIN at T.

We may get lucky.
But for the record, imo, smart move was to cash in sell high on Quinnen Williams, a 3OA who is solidly established, for 5OA + w/chargers, which 5o-> gets Joe Alt who would not be cheap but still huge savings on QW current $$$$$ which could have been pumped back into roster flexibility.
As things actually turned out, we had to let Huff go and deal Franklin-Myers. But w/QW $, short term we would have had mo options.

Wilson may/may not = total bust, but eff NYJ braintrust, not nec for rushing him possibly unavoidable after ARod goes down 4 plays into season, but for throwing him aside when real culprit was total T ineptitude.

End rant, except we are carrying lots of dead cap b'c moves by current braintrust.

Ok, real world summons me

all best to all

bern

The Jets taking Jordan Travis is perfect. He can't see the field this season, but he's a very good athlete and sound QB and by all accounts an amazing leader.

He was my favorite of the later round guys. If he gets to play in the playoffs, which he would have without his injury, he probably goes 2nd round.

He has two guys that can really help him. Watching Rodgers work will be great for him and Tyrod is probably the best mentor/vet for a young QB. A+ level human.

I don't know what his ceiling is, but I see a starting level QB in the mold of the current Geno Smith.
He is great value, I concur as to yr projection 2nd round otherwise.
My only real concern at this sq 1 is if he sufficiently sees the NFL field at < 6'2

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
ok gotta make this short + sweet
Jets 2024 draft - 1st selection was sold
generally not a fan given alternative choices

yeah, they got at good WR
and MAYBE the late DB from the CFL who looks like he has skills will be tall enuf to make the cut

but while the mid-late RBs add freshness/depth, we had other needs
I wanna like/root for the QB we took, as he shows several +s/intangibles -- but he is under 6'2, on the short side. Is this guy gonna be Doug Flute II?

More critically, we should not have traded down w/DET, who was smart w/earlier pick they got from us, taking OT Giovanni Manu, a 300 pounder behmoth around 6'8. We are still WAY TOO THIN at T.

We may get lucky.
But for the record, imo, smart move was to cash in sell high on Quinnen Williams, a 3OA who is solidly established, for 5OA + w/chargers, which 5o-> gets Joe Alt who would not be cheap but still huge savings on QW current $$$$$ which could have been pumped back into roster flexibility.
As things actually turned out, we had to let Huff go and deal Franklin-Myers. But w/QW $, short term we would have had mo options.

Wilson may/may not = total bust, but eff NYJ braintrust, not nec for rushing him possibly unavoidable after ARod goes down 4 plays into season, but for throwing him aside when real culprit was total T ineptitude.

End rant, except we are carrying lots of dead cap b'c moves by current braintrust.

Ok, real world summons me

all best to all

bern

He is great value, I concur as to yr projection 2nd round otherwise.
My only real concern at this sq 1 is if he sufficiently sees the NFL field at < 6'2
Jets have drafted 8 OL in the first 4 rounds over the past 6 drafts including 3 1st rounders. Jets have a lot of holes to fill besides the OL.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Jets have drafted 8 OL in the first 4 rounds over the past 6 drafts including 3 1st rounders. Jets have a lot of holes to fill besides the OL.
irrelevant since much of them have not panned out. T holes continue to kill team, and will do so until we draft sufficient to address that real prob

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Ah, so just throw shit at the wall until something sticks. That's the method the Giants have used on the OL for the last decade or so.

Works great!
having a good oline coach is needed for that approach. thankfully we seem to have one now. the raiders essentially had low round and UDFA lineman and were about average.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad