OT: Football Thread

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'm really hoping Schoen doesn't reach for a QB. There's a whole lot of smoke being blown right now.

We need a QB, but I don't think the value is going to be there at 6. If we had a stable organization and a GM/HC that truly has the backing of ownership, we wouldn't even be considering a QB unless one of the Top-2 QBs (which I still believe are Williams/Daniels) falls to us. That is extremely unlikely. I have no interest in McCarthy or Maye at 6. McCarthy is raw as hell, and was considered a borderline 1st rounder until Harbaugh started stumping for him. Now, he's being talked about as going as high as 2nd overall? Crazy pills.

Go get Penix with our 2nd rounder and have him sit behind Jones/Lock for a year, and resign yourself to one more tough season. Our roster should continue to get stronger, and whatever WR you likely take at 6 becomes a big-time weapon entering their sophomore season when Penix is ready to get his shot.

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan
Every year, the NFL makes it harder to play defense. TEs are going to put up comical numbers next season. They're also going to get a whole hell of a lot more knee injuries, if I had to guess. How else is a DB going to tackle them, other than going right for the knees?

If you hit too hard when trying to separate the receiver from the ball, you get flagged. It's going to be hard to play trailing coverage, because those coverages end in hip drop tackles immediately after the catch often. I just don't understand what the NFL owners are trying to accomplish with this.

I read an article, can't remember where, that mentioned that the NFL is seriously concerned that scoring is down league wide.

Well, if defenders can't defend or if they get a penalty if they look like they might hit someone, then...mission accomplished.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I read an article, can't remember where, that mentioned that the NFL is seriously concerned that scoring is down league wide.

Well, if defenders can't defend or if they get a penalty if they look like they might hit someone, then...mission accomplished.
Its been around 20-23 points a game for decades with only occasional outliers like 2020 when it was almost 25 ppg. I think last season was around 22 ppg. Sometimes powers that be can overthink things imo.

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Reactions: redwhiteandblue

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Somehow the NFL is getting worse and worse every year and the revenue is getting greater and greater. Out of the four major sports the NHL is by far the best product but it's a niche sport so no one cares.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Jets traded for Hassan Reddick. Reddick, Mike Williams, and Ty Smith? Impressive names brought on board by the Jets this offseason.

Reactions: NYRfan85

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Odunze or Bowers at #10

4 QB's go in the top 5/6 picks. One or two teams trade up. Harrson Jr. Nabers. Alt. The Alabama DE to the Falcons. The 9th pick is Chicago. Do the Bears go LT or Odunze? I was watching NFL Live a few weeks ago. Schefter said he thinks the Bears will go LT. They took a RT in Wright last year and they will take a LT this year to have two bookend tackles to protect Williams. They acquired Allen to pair up with DJ Moore. They added Everett to pair up with Komet at TE. Chicago wants to put Williams in a position to succeed which the previous management group didn't do with Fields. They need a LT. Odunze falls to the Jets at #10.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I’m leaning trading up for Nabers. They’re going for it in the next 1-2 years with Rodgers. Nabers would be a top 4 pick in any other draft so I think we should capitalize on the opportunity. I like Odunze too but he’s similar to Williams.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Kind of ridiculous that owners of teams worth literal billions expect a handout from the taxpayers. I know it happens all the time, but each instance I read about still irritates me.
I agree with your point but few have a billion in cash and many only make large money by selling their teams. I think their could be a compromise like an interest free loan and/or tax abatements instead of taxpayers paying for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad