Football manager(the game)

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Had a career with St Etienne. Maybe some of the best gaming I've ever done. Had a massive influx of Serbian talent and dominated L1. A major sponsor pulled out and all of my budget got absolutely gutted. Had to sell all my massive players and couldn't save the club from relegation, so I ended it.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Has anyone tried the mobile version of the game? How in depth is it? Worth time and money?

It's good for long International flights and sitting at airports. Anything else and it's just not good enough for me. Just not as in depth as I feel they could pull off if they'd just get a better UI.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If I want to improve a country's NT without the editor, like in game, what would I have to do ?

If you're talking about getting the most of your players or fielding the best team, I'd say work on tactical familiarity and focus on player attributes/ability instead of form with their club teams. You likely aren't going to be deploying players in the same setting as with their club so their base attributes are going to be more valuable than the fact that they are performing well recently.

If you're talking about long term improvement, there's not a ton you can do. The best option is to also manage a club from that country, establish world class training and youth coaching grounds, and sign the young talent from that country when they can still be developed. That'll ensure the high potential youngsters are actually getting their abilities up to their maximum versus languishing on a no talent team until they're 20 or 21 and then never get to be world class players.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
If you're talking about getting the most of your players or fielding the best team, I'd say work on tactical familiarity and focus on player attributes/ability instead of form with their club teams. You likely aren't going to be deploying players in the same setting as with their club so their base attributes are going to be more valuable than the fact that they are performing well recently.

If you're talking about long term improvement, there's not a ton you can do. The best option is to also manage a club from that country, establish world class training and youth coaching grounds, and sign the young talent from that country when they can still be developed. That'll ensure the high potential youngsters are actually getting their abilities up to their maximum versus languishing on a no talent team until they're 20 or 21 and then never get to be world class players.

So basically I need to ensure that my club develops players for the NT, sounds good, might try making my own Canadian league.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So basically I need to ensure that my club develops players for the NT, sounds good, might try making my own Canadian league.

That's really the only way the assure they get developed. If you're trying to build up a nation that doesn't have a ton of talent/high quality regens, you're basically stuck using a club team as a prep/dev ground for the national team so you can get the most of the few wonderkids you do find.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Potential Ability is basically the hard cap on how good a player can become. 200 is the absolute maximum and would represent the best potential player possible.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Potential Ability is basically the hard cap on how good a player can become. 200 is the absolute maximum and would represent the best potential player possible.

I think Messi has a current ability of 185 or 190 as well for reference. I don't know the chances of generating a 200 potential ability player is, but it's slim. Also no guarantee he reaches the potential.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Anyone ever try one with the USMNT?

I'm in the round of 16 in the 2022 World Cup right now (moved to Canada instead of Qatar btw). Will be facing Portugal.

Highlights of the career so far:

-Making it to the semis in Russia 2018
-Christian Pulisic is a stud
-Have been able to lure some good dual nationals (MLS players who gained citizenship after years in the league as well as Mexican and German Americans)
-Made the finals of 2021 Confed Cup and lost to Uruguay
-Have hovered around a #10-#20 FIFA ranking since about 2017 (playing in CONCACAF helps a ton)

Anyone have any tips, in general, for managing a national team (and maybe USA in particular)?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Can someone explain potential ability ? Like what does 200= to ? Gretzky/Messi ?

If you look in the editor, the young players have a negative PA. This is because when a save file is started a random PA number is allocated within a range for every of those young players.

I don't remmeber the exact ranges but it goes something like this:
-9: 150-180
-8: 130-160

Etc

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If you look in the editor, the young players have a negative PA. This is because when a save file is started a random PA number is allocated within a range for every of those young players.

I don't remmeber the exact ranges but it goes something like this:
-9: 150-180
-8: 130-160

Etc

IIRC, a -10 is 170-200 and for every full point difference from that it's a loss of 20 points on the min and max. So yes, -9 is 150-180, -8 is 130-160

That changes at -2 or -1 (so you don't go actually below zero), but honestly if you see a guy with a -1 or a -2 just run the other way :)

As far as what the PA means, it's the absolute maximum cap on CA. What CA is, is a single summary of how good that player is based on their attributes. Players whose CA is below their PA can still improve their attributes. They can up some stats and simply because straight up better with no tradeoff.

However players who are at the CA cap (where CA=PA or very close) can't simply increase overall stats any more. At that point, it's a tradeoff. Training to have superior acceleration or jumping may cost them a point of stamina or a point in their dribbling skill.

That doesn't mean a player with a CA = PA can't become a better fit for your team. If your team is built to play a tika taka possession game, it may be important to sacrifice some aerial ability or raw speed for passing skills or attacking movement quality. If your team is built around rushing wide and lumping crossing into a big target, training him to have good aerial abilities is probably going to make him more valuable than making him a better dribbler.

Sure the players overall quality didn't increase, but he became more valuable to your team because he fits it better. FM has really tried to up this level of importance over the years. It's much more about finding players that fit a given gameplan than just collecting the highest PA and waiting a couple years, or managing a big club and just buying the highest CA.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think I also saw something like a -95 for example which is like 160-190. I'd never seen that before 2016.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Portugal is becoming a gold mine for defenders for me. I buy a random, unscouted 17 yo defender... And then he looks like he will be a superstar, gets bought by Barça or an italian team... To pan out like a dud in eastern europe or back to portugal!

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Currently running as Canada/TFC. Hosted 2022 (and will be hosting 2026 for some reason but whatever). Ended up escaping the group in 2nd and playing Ecaudor in the R16 where...

PNSEyPB.png

Easily the best FM game I've ever played. Lost to Holland in the QF but still now ranked in the top 20.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Currently running as Canada/TFC. Hosted 2022 (and will be hosting 2026 for some reason but whatever). Ended up escaping the group in 2nd and playing Ecaudor in the R16 where...

PNSEyPB.png

Easily the best FM game I've ever played. Lost to Holland in the QF but still now ranked in the top 20.
How did you get Canada to be so good ?

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Still not enough detail in the match engine/tactics, which haven't really been upgraded in a long time. Wish you could control things such as shape on offense/defense as compared to just generally, pressing by area, and just generally more control over the movements/positions of your players. The engine in FM was pretty cool a few years ago, but there hasn't been a real major upgrade in a long time, and over the next couple of years I would like to really see that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad