Football Manager 2016

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I figured since there's a FIFA thread, we could have a Football Manager thread. Looked quick and didn't see one, but if I missed it, feel free to merge, locals!

I'm sure some of you play, any teams in particular you enjoy managing? Any success stories of bringing a lower league team up to top flight glory? Set up a brilliant tactic you want to share?

I pre-ordered FM16, so I have the beta now. Got all the facepacks, logopacks, and everything installed and applied, so I'm ready to dive in tonight!

I always start a Spurs save first, run that for a while til I get bored with it, then do various lower league teams to try and get them all the way up. Last year my best save was probably Oxford United. Got them up from League 2 to the Championship in 3 years. Toiled away in the Championship for 4 years after that, though. Never was able to break through to the Premiere League. Never got relegated, but never finished higher than 10th or 11th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
There is another thread but since it is November, this can be the 2016 thread. But feel free to talk about previous versions. I still play 2014 more than 2015.

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
I always love playing as clubs from lesser known leagues and spending time building them into major European powerhouses. My favorite save was with the Norwegian side Odd, won the Europa League and got to the UCL semifinals. I've never been into moving up the English ladder, though that seems like one of the more popular saves.

I'm still playing fm 14, I'd love to hear from anyone willing to share their thoughts on the new fm16 and whether I should upgrade or wait another year.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I always love playing as clubs from lesser known leagues and spending time building them into major European powerhouses. My favorite save was with the Norwegian side Odd, won the Europa League and got to the UCL semifinals. I've never been into moving up the English ladder, though that seems like one of the more popular saves.

I'm still playing fm 14, I'd love to hear from anyone willing to share their thoughts on the new fm16 and whether I should upgrade or wait another year.

I always start in the English pyramid (Spurs, and then a League 2 team), and then branch out into a lower level team from either Germany, Italy, or Spain. I think the next leagues that I want to try are France and Netherlands.

I had 14, and skipped 15. I'm just starting with 16 now, but it's pretty cool. The tactics screens are completely redone, where you set the team instructions. I like the sidebar navigation, seems easier to move around (i.e. there are buttons now for tactics, for your U21/U18 teams. Things that required a few clicks in 14, are now accessible with one click)

Speaking of using lower level teams, I'd love it if anyone had any tips for how to make it to the top flight with lower level teams. I think one of my problems is that I'm always looking for diamonds in the rough, but my scouts are (understandably) never that great, so I bring all these young guys in with high potentials and they fizzle out.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Ive got a long save going with Saints in FM 2014. In 2031. I think I should rotate players more, but I want win every match.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'll wait 'til it goes down to $20-$25. I just need to tune out Foyle's War and sort out the transfers so I can start the 2015-16 season in the current FM and then see how far I can go.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Picked up 14 while it was on sale for my first game in the series. Thinking about buying this one since I skipped 15.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Got back into playing 15 recently. Tried doing a journeyman save to see what all I could win around the world. Played two seasons in South Africa with Orlando, played 20 games in Turkey with Buraspor(took over after season started and didn't realize how **** their situation was) and then moved to Lille in France and qualified for Champions league in my first season while also getting to the first knockout round of Europa in the same season.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Speaking of using lower level teams, I'd love it if anyone had any tips for how to make it to the top flight with lower level teams. I think one of my problems is that I'm always looking for diamonds in the rough, but my scouts are (understandably) never that great, so I bring all these young guys in with high potentials and they fizzle out.

Depending on what country you're in, I'd look to secure loan players. Not sure how lower-level you're starting with but that should help keep your wage bill pretty low while also saving the transfer budget for key acquisitions after promotion. Always look for players whose contracts are set to expire in 6 months time on Jan 1st and get them signed up early.

Would love to jump in on FM16 but I've got a great save going in FM15.
Career trajectory looks like this:

Apollon (Greek 2nd division); Won the league
Aek (Greek 2nd division) Managed promotion, won Greek league and Greek Cup
Zenit; Russian League 1x, Russian Cup 1x
Monaco; Ligue 1 3x, French Cup 1x, French Super Cup 3x, French League Cup 2x, Champions League 1x
Just took the Real Madrid job. They've been out of the CL for 2 years running and it should give me a chance to add the Europa League to my list of trophies.

Nigeria; Lost in AFCON finals
Bosnia; Eliminated in Group stages of WC
France; Won Nations Cup & World Cup
Just took the Brazil job to try and win Copa America

Also commissioned a new stadium to be built for Monaco. Hoping they'll name it after me.

Some interesting things from my save.
-Liverpool dominates English football domestically led by an insanely good Origi but are crap in Europe
-Odegaard becomes an absolute legend with Dortmund
-United bought Martial but he failed to amount to anything. He's currently with Chelsea
-A 35 year old Cristiano moves to Man City
-Chelsea build a new stadium and name it after Lampard
-Lyon gets relegated and almost goes into administration with huge amounts of debt
-Lacazette has been sold multiple times for like 40 million but has pretty much failed everywhere. Currently with Shakthar
-Mourinho has been fired 2 seasons in a row. First from PSG, then from United and has now taken over my Monaco job following my departure.

My Qatar WC winning France starting XI:

Lacazette
Griezmann-Coman-Ntcham
Kondogbia-Pogba
Kurzawa-Varane-Zouma-Crochia
Lloris​

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Early on in the beta, it seems that players demanding transfers may be a little out of control.

I'm like 3 weeks into the preseason, and Harry Kane, Erik Lamela, Nacer Chadli, and Jan Vertonghen have all come to me requesting transfers.

Man U are in on Kane, Lamela, and Vertonghen.

Damn United, trying to strip my squad to bare bones. :laugh:

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Maybe you set your managerial credentials too low when creating your profile?
If you aren't "qualified" for a club of that stature, players may not obey your tactics as they should or may not want to play for you.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
A feature I would like to see added(or pointed out if it already exists) is to sim to the end of a game. I am terrible at managing in game but enjoy the team building part so I tend to set my lineups and then sim to the next day. The only annoyance is if a player has an amazing game the agent demands a new contract and since I'm simming it says no automatically and the player and sometimes the team get upset. If I could sim to just the end of a specific game that would help avoid all of this.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
A feature I would like to see added(or pointed out if it already exists) is to sim to the end of a game. I am terrible at managing in game but enjoy the team building part so I tend to set my lineups and then sim to the next day. The only annoyance is if a player has an amazing game the agent demands a new contract and since I'm simming it says no automatically and the player and sometimes the team get upset. If I could sim to just the end of a specific game that would help avoid all of this.
There are some skins out there on Sortitoutsi that come with "instant result" feature where you just set your lineup and sim the game.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Finally settled in on a tactic in my Spurs save.

Spent a while tinkering with things, and got off to a pretty slow start. I've been on a good run lately, though.

Screenshots of the tactic, if anyone wants to see: Formation, Team Instructions

It's essentially a 4-1-2-3.

Pretty much every player in the squad have a specific instruction set to pass shorter; except for Lamela and Son on the wings.

I've been trying to develop a tactic to really control possession, and this one seems to have done the trick. Up to 6th in the table now.

m7OYxcu.png

Chelsea at the top; God this game is so unrealistic :sarcasm:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I am a massive fan of the midfield trio roles you have. Seems to work really well this year.

Have you found issues having two BPD? That generally exposes you to a lot of risk, especially with having two fullbacks attacking on the flanks. Also if you still run into possession issues I'd suggest using Kane as a false nine instead of a target man as the team will generally ignore passing instructions and try to get the ball up to him with his current settings.

I started as Canada manager and my tactic is rather similar. Beat Honduras 1-0, drew El Salvador 0-0 (hey just like real life!) and then somehow managed to draw Mexico 1-1 at Azteca (...not just like real life!). Unfortunately can't seem to get an actual manager job since my reputation is too low and I only enabled top two divisions from England/Italy/Spain/Germany/France + MLS/Liga MX. Think I'm going to add in the Belgian league and start playing there.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Looking forward to getting this game when it goes on sale. I like the new layout. Though I suspect I'm going to need a new computer.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I am a massive fan of the midfield trio roles you have. Seems to work really well this year.

Have you found issues having two BPD? That generally exposes you to a lot of risk, especially with having two fullbacks attacking on the flanks. Also if you still run into possession issues I'd suggest using Kane as a false nine instead of a target man as the team will generally ignore passing instructions and try to get the ball up to him with his current settings.

I was worried at first that the attacking fullbacks and the BPDs wouldn't mesh, but my defense has actually been pretty solid. Maybe because Vertonghen and Aldeweireld are just two really quality CBs, that I'm able to get by.

I'll try Kane as a F9, though. Thanks for the tip!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Got to 4th in my first year with Spurs! :handclap:

Unfortunately, I forgot (or maybe I never knew to begin with) that the 4th place finisher doesn't go automatically to the group stage. So I had to go to a playoff with Roma. Lost 3-2 on aggregate, so it's another year of Europa League for me. :(

Nacer Chadli was complaining about not getting any playing time with us, and I have a glut of midfielders, so I sold him. To Barcelona, oddly enough, for $25m. Good luck getting any playing time there, lol. Approaching October 1 in the new season, and he still has not started a game there.

Huddersfield shattered their record transfer fee paid (I think it was like 1 or 2 mil), and put in a bid of $7.5m to take Tom Carroll off my hands.

I wanted to strengthen my defense. I bought a disgruntled Wilfried Bony from City last January, to bolster my stikers, but I thought I was a little weak at LB. And I've never been a big Danny Rose fan. So after some scouting, I was able to get Juan Bernat from Bayern for $32.5m. Pretty happy with the fee, I still have a decent bankroll to go out in January and bring someone in, if need be.

Bernat has been really good so far, average rating of 7.42.

After spending most of last year away on loan at Leicester, I brought Dele Alli back into the squad, and he has been very good. Average rating of 7.35, and he's only 20. Really excited about him.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA

I haven't played 2016 yet but put in more than a thousand hours into 2014 and 15. I usually start in a lower league, typically English, and work my way up. I max out the loans, what is it, 4 long term, and try to sign as many young players as possible under the budget constraints set by the board.

From the contract side I love giving long contracts to youth players with bonuses they'll never achieve or ones I can prevent. One goal from your bonus? How about you sit on the beach awhile. I love youth contracts and those unsigned players on your roster that no team ever attempts to steal.

What stats do I look for? The obvious. One pacey striker, and one target man who will probably get the most of your goals. Your players won't be well rounded but can be very good at one thing. Find a corner exploit to make use of your target man. He'll get most of your goals.

As far as players fizzling out? I've found I've always been able to turn a profit on young players. The key is really just them playing, always upgrading your training facilities and always hire the best coaches possible. I tend to be of the philosophy that the AI will always score so I tend to play more offensive minded.

I sign the best coaches I can, hopefully at that level 3.5 to 4.5 stars. I don't care too much about finances as I usually can get to league 2 before my long term contracts are up. The most challenging thing happens somewhere in this time, my board wants to build a new stadium. It puts you in the whole financially, sometimes the board shrinks your budget and prevents other upgrades. Frustrating.

Single most important thing, manage your morale. If your team is happy your team will win more, score more, improve more. I schedule friendlies only against weaker competition and use it to give my team a boost at the beginning of the season and any time I have the fatigue to do so. Almost all of my talks are positive and I'm quick to weed out troublemakers.

There are lots of websites that will give you lists of the better lower league free agents, training schedules and tactics and such if you don't want to setup those yourself.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have no shame in saying I'm getting absolutely destroyed by every big team I've played against so far. I've gone so far as to save a file before a match with Atletico (where I'm the home team) and I've tried about 6 different tactics by now and all of them end up with my team being blown out. I've tried everything from control, attack and counter with structure, fluid, working the ball into the box, different positional choices, etc. to no avail.

I've actually never had this problem with any FM before. It's depressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad