Football Manager 2016

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I've been kind of struggling to score in my Spurs save, so I'm trying a new formation.

I've been playing Eriksen semi-out of position, as a CM. He's naturally a CAM, so I wanted to put him back in that spot, in hopes that having him forward would give me some more attacking momentum.

Here's where I ended:

[collapse=formation]
Iz66CdJ.jpg
[/collapse]

I'm a little worried that having the two DMs, and the next 3 guys all in attacking positions, that I'll be exposed in the middle of the field. I have Dele Alli set to get more forward, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

I'm going to give it a few games to see how it goes, but game 1 was a success:

[collapse=result]
QmhvTPo.png
[/collapse]

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I don't know why I seem to struggling getting into a game. I start it then do a month or two and go to another one. Any ideas for a good game?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I don't know why I seem to struggling getting into a game. I start it then do a month or two and go to another one. Any ideas for a good game?

Any of Fiorentina, Sampdoria or Torino in Italy. They all have some top quality players but will need improvements to turn into contenders.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
This game is on sale on Steam as part of the Lunar New Year sale.

50% off. Just giving a heads up for anyone that hasn't purchased it yet.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
I guess i just need to stop watching the matches and do the instant result. It's got to be less frustrating than watching your team dominate the majority of their matches and knowing they're equally likely to draw or lose as win.

Everyone experiencing this no matter what team you manage or just me?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I guess i just need to stop watching the matches and do the instant result. It's got to be less frustrating than watching your team dominate the majority of their matches and knowing they're equally likely to draw or lose as win.

When I first started playing this edition I was having the same problem as you. I've realized now that the engine is actually very intuitive you just need to really think about the roles, shape and mentality and how your players fit in to system you make.

I think in previous versions it was easy to make a tactic that just worked with any player, and the team shape/mentality weren't as effective as they are now.

The only advice I am willing to give on here (mostly because I play in a dynasty league with a bunch of other managers on this site, lol) is that the tactics don't need to be complicated. Keep it simple. You don't need to have like 15 team instructions and 100 player instructions.

Here's what my season with Liverpool looked like with a very straightforward tactic (ended up winning the CoC, PL and Euro) second season I lost in the semis to City of the CL, finished 2nd in the PL to Chelsea and only won the FA Cup but still had a great record:

ZKMuYvu.png

MJEgYeL.png

utzwSsM.png

2Cgtf2v.png

8byOh23.png

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg

That's absolutely not been my experience this year. If anything the game has been far too easy for me.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
The only advice I am willing to give on here (mostly because I play in a dynasty league with a bunch of other managers on this site, lol)

I'm Mark btw. Apples to oranges in comparing how to play for fun against the AI and that league. I do agree with the rest of what you said. With a good tactic you used to be able to take over any team you wanted and turn them into a giant within a few seasons.

That's absolutely not been my experience this year. If anything the game has been far too easy for me.

I had typed out a few different posts explaining more in depth what I've been experiencing. Like I said regardless of the team I am managing we control play but the results just don't follow. Not that we are doing badly but not matching the performances. Finished 3rd in first season with Leverkusen and with a few matches to go on pace to finish 3rd or 4th again. Basically where they'd expect to finish in real life.

In all other FM's that is a team I'd be challenging for the title with in season 1 and should be winning it the next. I've got a lot of young players with huge potential who are getting better. Hopefully that is what finally gets this team over the hump.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I had typed out a few different posts explaining more in depth what I've been experiencing. Like I said regardless of the team I am managing we control play but the results just don't follow. Not that we are doing badly but not matching the performances. Finished 3rd in first season with Leverkusen and with a few matches to go on pace to finish 3rd or 4th again. Basically where they'd expect to finish in real life.

In all other FM's that is a team I'd be challenging for the title with in season 1 and should be winning it the next. I've got a lot of young players with huge potential who are getting better. Hopefully that is what finally gets this team over the hump.

What does your tactic look like?

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
http://i.imgur.com/mQiEtYE.jpg

Basically my preferred formation the last few FM's. Never have enough confidence defensively without a holder in there. Played that the first season and a half. Messed around with 4-4-1-1 and 4-4-2 for a few matches to have an extra body up top due to crosses being so effective in this patch. Currently using http://i.imgur.com/7aFA1qf.jpg http://i.imgur.com/xIH5QOM.jpg Usually keep these team instructions. Been successful getting me through the knockout rounds of the Europa but a mixed bag in league.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
When I make a tactic I break it down accordingly:

- how do I want it to play (so this would be like the mentality/structure of the team)
- what formation fits in well with my philosophy (there are good and bad formations for each mentality IMO, based on the players being in certain parts of the pitch, etc)
- what instructions promote that philosophy
- what roles will fit my players and how I want the tactic to play
- how does each role interact (and subsequently what kind of space or cover does each provide for eachother)

Just as an example for my first season with Liverpool I wanted to play a controlling style that emulated Klopp's high tempo, high line pressing. Control might not sound like it but it's an attacking mentality that's just a bit more cautious on the back end than 'Attacking'.

So how would we implement this?

Well to control the game you're going to want to have support in the right areas. Support mentalities will generally help keep hold of the ball better rather than rushing forward and playing quick passes to start attacks. You want the ball as much as possible so you want to be harrying the opponent and not giving them much time on the ball to make decisions. You will want players making constant off the ball movement to open themselves up for passes. You probably want to keep those passes shorter and building out from the back so that you're not often forced into duels for the ball when you have it. You'll also likely want to be a bit less cross happy and take less long shots which are lower % chances and mean you lose the ball a bit more.

So at the end of the day you're probably left with something like this:

- Higher line
- Close down more/much more
- Tighter Marking
- Play out of Defence
- Pass Shorter OR Retain Possession (you probably want meaningful possession, not just possession without penetration and both is a bit of overkill)
- Work Ball into Box
- Roam from Positions (important for creating space)

Now there are a few other things that can be situational. Offside trap is good against slower, cumbersome attackers, but quick ones will often punish you. Tackling and width are in game adjustments you'll have to make based on how you see your team playing (more width will generally open the other team up more for attack but also means you'll have to make longer passes, while less width means you'll have closer options but it's a bit easier to shut up shop against). Finally the mentality is really important...structured and very structured will mean you want your players to do exactly what is asked of them and there is more inherent space between them as they contribute less to each 'phase' of play, while Fluid gives a bit more freedom, and shortens the distance (vertically) between the back and the front of the tactic (and players).

This is what I ended up with keeping all of that in mind:

A9ubdoR.png

It worked pretty well, as you can see above. But again, especially in FM16 you can't just take a tactic and apply it to any team and expect it to work (I tried with Heerenveen and Frankfurt). Tactics need to be, and should be, tailored to the players you have (for the most part). Or you can try to train the players to fit the tactic. Overall philosophy can still be the same but the individual intricacies of it will shift a bit depending on who you have available.

I suggest watching the full match (not just the highlights) in at least a few of the first games to really see what your team is doing well, where the players are taking up space, and where your team is breaking down. Tweak accordingly. It's really important though to understand what space each role occupies and how they interact with those around them, so the tweaking requires an understanding of all of that plus how the instructions cause them to act.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
The 2022 World Cup moving is hard-coded. It would be an enormous pain the the bum for SI to code a winter World Cup, so the 2022 World Cup is always moved somewhere else.

I've seen it moved to the USA and to Australia, but the most common seems to be Canada.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
One thing I would like to be introduced in Football Manager regarding National Teams management is the ability to contribute in producing more talent in a nation. Something like changing the youth infrastructure. Implement some sort of culture, introducing a training program, etc. I'd like to take a nation like Canada and take it all the way to WC champions in 2046 :)

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Great Series of Football Simulators... I have been playing it since Football Manager 2006 & still playing it. I have FM 2016 now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad