Football All-Time Draft

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If there's enough interest, I will be offering a football all-time draft on September 12th. Please reply if you're interested.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
There was no interest, but my no defense team in the ridiculous 1 - 4 - 4 - 1 would have been awesome. ;) @Wee Baby Seamus

Ronaldo
Cruyff - Pele' - Messi - di Stefano
Platini - Maradona - Zidane - Baggio
Beckenbauer
Yashin​

Last edited:

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
My All Time Team would be:

Cristiano Ronaldo - Pele - Leo Messi
Maradona - Matthaus - Zidane
Maldini - Beckenbauer - Moore - Cafu
Yashin

Bench: Di Stefano, Cruyff, Platini, Eusebio, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Buffon
Reserves: Baresi, Platini, Xavi, Iniesta, Garrincha

Reactions: Lambo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Platini was easily the best player for 4-5 years. EASILY. Zidane never was easily the best player in any year. He won 1 BdO when Platini won 3 straight.

Zidane is supremely gifted and as such, if you rank the most talented players, he'll be up there with Maradona.
But who would take a Ben Arfa over a Benzema?

Platini was a 10 with magic passes all around and was a 10 with magic goals all around. His play making is underrated now.

His performance in Euro 84 is hands down the best of any player in any major international competition with Maradona 86. His record might just never be beaten.

Reactions: les Habs

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Players I largely didn’t see, but am basing off my understanding of the history:

Pele
Cruyff - Maradona - Messi
Matthaus - Beckenbauer
Maldini - Baresi - Moore - Lahm
Neuer​

Since I started actively following (2012-present)

CR7 - Messi - Hazard
Xavi - Iniesta
Pirlo
Cole - Terry - Thiago Silva - Lahm
Neuer​

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Players I largely didn’t see, but am basing off my understanding of the history:

Pele
Cruyff - Maradona - Messi
Matthaus - Beckenbauer
Maldini - Baresi - Moore - Lahm
Neuer​

Since I started actively following (2012-present)

CR7 - Messi - Hazard
Xavi - Iniesta
Pirlo
Cole - Terry - Thiago Silva - Lahm
Neuer​
Robben was better than Hazard.
Puyol was better than Terry.

After that, I would love to get some Schweinsteiger in there, but very hard to bet against Pirlo. There is also a very good debate that Lahm was better as a #6 than as a #2.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Robben and Hazard was a coin flip
Puyol came nowhere near Terry
Seems you never watched the 2009 to 2011 Barcelona CF. Best team(s) I have ever seen in my life and a big part was Puyol there as captain of all the primadonnas and talent in that squad. I am not calling Terry a bad defender by any means, but Puyol was legendary.

E: Hazard might've been a better direct player leading to being a better goalscorer, but he doesn't come closer to the talent, vision, creativity, and creating something out of nothing Robben was.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If I'm going on players since I've been watching I'd go

Neymar-CR7-Messi
Iniesta
Xavi-Busquests
Marcelo-Vidic-Nesta-Lahm
Van der Sar*

*It's really Neuer but I'm biased

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
For me since I started watching its easy. Neuer, Maldini, Nesta, van Dijk, Alves, Modric, Xavi, Messi, Zidane, C. Ronaldo, Ronaldo.

I only think of the player on their best day not how long they were on top.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well, here's mine from what I've seen...

4-1-2-3
Ronaldo - Henry - Robben
Messi - Xavi
Pirlo
Marcelo - Puyol - T. Silva - Lahm
Neuer

Bench
- Buffon, GK
- Aguero, ST
- Ibrahimovic, ST
- Ribery, LW
- Neymar, RW
- Yaya, CM
- Iniesta, CM
- Alves, RB
Carlos, LB
- van Dijk, CB
- Kompany, CB

Players missing the club but are great, Zidane, David Silva, Schweinsteiger, Kaka, Eto'o, Sneijder, Lewandowski, Suarez, Ferdinand, Ronaldinho, Barzagli, Cech, Gerard, Müller, Vidic, Casillas, Totti, Vieira, Alonso, Chiellini, de Bruyne, Alba, Busquets, Nesta Icardi, and Benzema.

Yes, I would take Yaya over Zidane.​

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
For me since I started watching its easy. Neuer, Maldini, Nesta, van Dijk, Alves, Modric, Xavi, Messi, Zidane, C. Ronaldo, Ronaldo.

I only think of the player on their best day not how long they were on top.

For someone who I recall in a past draft said they valued fullbacks least, I'm happy to see you actually got the RB answer correct. :)

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Platini was easily the best player for 4-5 years. EASILY. Zidane never was easily the best player in any year. He won 1 BdO when Platini won 3 straight.

Zidane is supremely gifted and as such, if you rank the most talented players, he'll be up there with Maradona.
But who would take a Ben Arfa over a Benzema?

Platini was a 10 with magic passes all around and was a 10 with magic goals all around. His play making is underrated now.

His performance in Euro 84 is hands down the best of any player in any major international competition with Maradona 86. His record might just never be beaten.
Platini was great but he won the Ballon d'or when it was only a European award

When Zidane was playing the award was no longer European

So better career based on what he won? Based on his stats? Or he was just a better player? I know little about Platini and have seen little of him, so genuinely curious.
Platini was great , different era so diffrent type of 10

He scored more goals but that's because he played a more advanced positon than ZZ

Was clutch as nails, never shied away from the big shot, FK, penalty....huge cojones
Can't blame him for France not playing a WC Final, during his era, Germans were just so strong between the ears.

Was also a sore loser and has a punchable face
Also celebrated the game winner vs Liverpool despite the tragedy, like nothing happened and afterwards said he didn't know what happened ....ROFL

Last edited:
Reactions: les Habs

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Zidane had Europeans win it during his prime. So the point still stands.
Ywah but the talent pool in Europe was larger during his era vs Platini’s

Also, Platini may not have won 3 Ballons d’Or if South Americans were considered, but we’ll never know

Great player though, no question about

And the best individual performance in the history of Euros (1984), that speaks volume when you look at what Van Basten did in 88

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ywah but the talent pool in Europe was larger during his era vs Platini’s

Also, Platini may not have won 3 Ballons d’Or if South Americans were considered, but we’ll never know

Great player though, no question about it
Again, even if you don't put importance to BdO, which is fair, Platini was easily the best player in the world for 4 to 6 years. Zidane was never clearly the best in any year.
And the talent pool was big back then too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad