Fool's Gold - Oilers

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Further to the OP the Oilers record with Nelson solely behind the bench is now;

15W 18L 6OT

Progress from the abysmal record this year prior to that (7-22-7) but not nearly good enough to be competitive. This puts us somewhere in 70pt range when teams need 20pts more than that to make playoffs.

WE would need a Flames-like commitment and degree of effort to be in the playoff conversation next year.

With player improvements and maturation I could see maybe an 80something pt season but still missing out.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
^^^the biggest issue I have with this team is compete level and bringing it on a nightly basis. There are lots of guys on the team who take nights off or fold when the goings get tough. They are a mentally fragile group IMO, the losing has taken a harsh toll on these guys and the past 2 years they've been out of playoff contention by December for the most part.

Sure Hall skates fast and puts pucks on net, I just want to see it even more. This guy should be a franchise changing superstar, he has a tremendous tool box and is a helluva player but I want to see him, RNH and Eberle step it up and grab this team by the balls next season. I'm not sure how much more "maturation" this team can possibly go through, collectively speaking. CrapT says 80% of the roster is coming back next season and that the offensive stars are untouchable, that brings them to an impasse because IMO they can't win with this group they've assembled.

Plus they're going to be adding a blue chip prospect this coming draft who may or may not enter the fold next year so that will also hamper things.

The time for patience has passed, they are acquiring quality assets, and "bold moves" indeed need to be made. They need to shuffle the deck. They badly need defense and goaltending. Comes down the horses and they just don't have em. Not all about maturation at this point. Prime years for a player in the NHL nowadays is between 21-27. They have to get it going now!

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009

15W 18L 6OT

Progress from the abysmal record this year prior to that (7-22-7) but not nearly good enough to be competitive. This puts us somewhere in 70pt range when teams need 20pts more than that to make playoffs.

WE would need a Flames-like commitment and degree of effort to be in the playoff conversation next year.

With player improvements and maturation I could see maybe an 80something pt season but still missing out.

If we got 70 point with our D and Goaltending that would be amazing

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
it just goes to show that even if we could get one solid Dman and one above average goalie we could do some damage.

True and you know what I don't think this play now is a mirage. I mean no one is overachieving. This is how I expect each of RNH, EBerle, Hall, Yak ect to play. Actually I expect Yak and Hall to play even better. Lander, pou and Roy have been great as well.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Even though the Oilers beat Colorado, after the Oilers made it 3-0 the Avs were all over them and could've very easily beaten them.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
We are no where close to being a playoff team but it is fun putting a bit of a damper on some of the teams we are playing and their quest for a playoff spot.

Not sure we can take anything away from this season other than the fact that we don't have to see or listen to Eakins.

That, in itself, is a huge victory for all of us.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

15W 18L 6OT

This coaching decision is going to be a hard one to make this offseason. If a guy like Todd Mclellan from the Sharks or a Bruce Boudreau from Anaheim or even a Dave Tippett from Phoenix is available, do you stick with Nelson?

I know he's had a good players coach and it seems the guys love him, but do we risk another season on a fairly green head coach?

From when he got fired till now, we're still averaging something like 3.8 GA/G. Now I understand that's slanted cause we traded one of our few top-4 D-man, he's also dealt with injuries, but still.

We HAVE to make a big push to the playoffs next season. This coaching decision just adds to the list to big choices we have to make this summer. All at the hands of MacT. :help:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This coaching decision is going to be a hard one to make this offseason. If a guy like Todd Mclellan from the Sharks or a Bruce Boudreau from Anaheim or even a Dave Tippett from Phoenix is available, do you stick with Nelson?

I know he's had a good players coach and it seems the guys love him, but do we risk another season on a fairly green head coach?

From when he got fired till now, we're still averaging something like 3.8 GA/G. Now I understand that's slanted cause we traded one of our few top-4 D-man, he's also dealt with injuries, but still.

We HAVE to make a big push to the playoffs next season. This coaching decision just adds to the list to big choices we have to make this summer. All at the hands of MacT. :help:

I am not exactly sure why people think any of those coaches will be available.

I am not exactly sure why any of those coaches would come here to work under Mac T or Lowe.

With the players we have available I don't know why anyone would think those coaches would fit us stylistically. Boudreau maybe Mclellan and Tippett most certainly not.

The only guy who is a slam dunk over Nelson is Babcock. He has done wonders with players like what we have.

I dont know if this really makes sense but I would actually like Babcock as a replacement for Mac T.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Coaches get fired every year like clockwork... including very good ones. Organizations often clean house and go in different directions when the team isn't progressing as expected.

It's almost a certainty that some high profile talent becomes available in the next few months when teams miss the playoffs or get knocked out early.

I like Nelson a lot but if a veteran coach becomes available who would actually come to Edmonton... that's something that management should absolutely pursue.

Bonus would be for a sweeping change where management is booted as well and there are changes at the top levels as well... but doubtful that happens at all.

I also question whether management would want to bring in a strong alpha-type coach like Babcock who would have a more hands-on approach at the management level as well.

Krueger/Eakins/Nelson were/are all obviously inexperienced head coaches at the NHL level and management may very well prefer those more "obedient types" instead of very experienced and knowledgeable individuals from other orgs that would likely want to make changes to what direction the team is going.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't understand all the interest in Mcllelland or Boudreau. Not a shred of proof that these guys would be any better than Nelson, with this group. Nelson has proven that these guys will play for him. I wouldn't take a chance on either of them. Hell, Mcllelland has underachieved with the lineup he's had.

AFAIC, its Babs, Hitch, Julien or Nelson. I would add Tippet but he's not getting fired.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I don't understand all the interest in Mcllelland or Boudreau. Not a shred of proof that these guys would be any better than Nelson, with this group. Nelson has proven that these guys will play for him. I wouldn't take a chance on either of them. Hell, Mcllelland has underachieved with the lineup he's had.

AFAIC, its Babs, Hitch, Julien or Nelson. I would add Tippet but he's not getting fired.

^i agree. i'd let Nelson coach next year. we look to have finally turned a corner with Nelson, and that's what we wanted to see isn't it? i don't care if we're on the road to 70 points or not, if Nelson is the person responsible for getting this team to turn around, i don't see any reason to screw it all up next year and hire another coach AGAIN. and what if McLellan or Boudreau screws things up yet again like Eakins did? then what?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
^i agree. i'd let Nelson coach next year. we look to have finally turned a corner with Nelson, and that's what we wanted to see isn't it? i don't care if we're on the road to 70 points or not, if Nelson is the person responsible for getting this team to turn around, i don't see any reason to screw it all up next year and hire another coach AGAIN. and what if McLellan or Boudreau screws things up yet again like Eakins did? then what?

Continuity is important. Nelson has earned his position so he should be rewarded. I wonder if a good experienced coach does become available, would Nelson stay in the organization as an associtate coach? Kind of doubt it.

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
it just goes to show that even if we could get one solid Dman and one above average goalie we could do some damage.

And the worst part is we gave away "one solid dman" and instead of just acquiring one more solid dman for the left instead of say, Nikitin. We'd maybe do something if our inept management could assess defensive talent a bit better.

And there are a quite a few solid LHD this summer. Now we have to find 2 again.

Mowgli

Nov 14, 2014
Nelson's year finishing the season is worse than Eakins last 25 games last season. Pass

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
^i'll bet that we don't start the season as awful with Nelson as head coach next year as we did with Eakins this year!

That's really going out on a limb.;) How could any team even do as poorly as a 7-22-7 start?

Just fold the team if that happens again

edit whoops, echo in here..

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
And the worst part is we gave away "one solid dman" and instead of just acquiring one more solid dman for the left instead of say, Nikitin. We'd maybe do something if our inept management could assess defensive talent a bit better.

And there are a quite a few solid LHD this summer. Now we have to find 2 again.

imo we should set our sights higher than just Petry. He is what he is on Montreal right now. He's a decent Dman but we need someone who is passable as an offensive threat. Petry would still be a nice player to have, but he would never be the difference between this club succeeding or not.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I was never a huge Petry fan either... he was a decent #4 at best imo... he had so much more potential with his shot and size/physicality but wasn't reaching it as he didn't seem to use his assets to their fullest.

Saying that, he obviously was an NHL dman and if MacT plans to basically go with the flow and add nothing or worse another Nikitin... well ya it could certainly get worse and likely will. :)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
imo we should set our sights higher than just Petry. He is what he is on Montreal right now. He's a decent Dman but we need someone who is passable as an offensive threat. Petry would still be a nice player to have, but he would never be the difference between this club succeeding or not.

Disagree here as well. You won't entirely see how a teams D stacks up vs opposition until playoffs. What players like Petry and Gilbert represent is guys that can soak up minutes in latter pairings on teams that have legitimate shutdown D.

When I watch playoffs its uncanny how many teams unravel, and lose series because they have one D pairing, which they have to use sometimes, which are a complete disaster. Even good teams have some really bad last pairing. Guys like Petry and Gilbert are solid additions easily obtained and that will provide Habs with good D depth when the games matter in two weeks. Habs could be resting up now and why not?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I hope we get Tippett or Hitchcock just for the fact that they'd be able to demand MacT/management for better defensemen. If I was a manager and one of those 2 guys stormed in my office demanding one, i sure as hell get on that phone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad