OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Make it in an Instant Pot. Easy peasy, and tastes like you slaved over the pot ladling in stock.

Thats the fun of it. As Julia Childs would say, one glass for the pan, one for me! Takes the mind off most other things as well as sparks some creativity given whatever is in the fridge or cupboard.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just peeled the membrane of a huge rack of pork baby backs. Patted them dry. Cut em into individual pieces. Made a mix with bbq sauce, salt, pepper, jalapeño garlic salt, Memphis dry rub seasoning, and brown sugar. Dipped each one. In the oven they go. Covered for an hour. Then another 30 uncovered I’ll be basting with more of my sauce mix

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Just peeled the membrane of a huge rack of pork baby backs. Patted them dry. Cut em into individual pieces. Made a mix with bbq sauce, salt, pepper, jalapeño garlic salt, Memphis dry rub seasoning, and brown sugar. Dipped each one. In the oven they go. Covered for an hour. Then another 30 uncovered I’ll be basting with more of my sauce mix

I can’t let my daughter see this...

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
im sure to screw it up somehow. So far this house smells delightful though. I’ve been enjoying the quarantine so far for the fact we have had to expand our cooking repertoire.

Tell you what, if I sent my daughter over I bet she wouldn’t be disappointed!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I may never make anything else ever again
5922BAE9-C1FE-4B81-9C08-A0F955D4D2E9.jpeg

Reactions: Chief Nine

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We'll probably all be eating like college students soon... Let me know if you want to see any recipes :laugh::laugh:

20200321_191542.jpg

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
View attachment 337875

Not really European but upside-down Carrot & Pineapple cake to celebrate surviving the 4 days in house arrest with the kids so far. Decoration is all my daughter who needs everything to be "fancy". Mothers recipe and probably something she got from Julian Childs back in the day ;-).

Tomorrow is Italy day with Espresso and biscotti for breakfast, homemade Napolitano pizza for lunch and a Risotto with asparagus tips, and mushrooms for dinner. That will be a bit less "over the top" but I'm sure my daughter will find a way to make it "fancy". Proof tomorrow. Stay safe.
Speaking of Julia, her show is on Amazon Prime till the end of the month. I’m arrogant enough to think I know how to cook, then I watch her and learn something every time.

made Gumbo tonight with white rice and cornbread.
(No okra, oh well.)
Chicken Andouille Sausage Gumbo
8A91FF07-9FCC-42E0-8997-0DF615415C41.jpeg

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I am here for alllll the instant pot recipes. Tell me more about this fantastic risotto please? :)

Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto

I use either fresh mushrooms, or for a really earthy mushroom flavor, use dried creminis. Rehydrate in 1 cup of hot water, chop, and then use the rehydrating water as part of the 4.5 cups of stock. I sometimes use shallots instead of onion, too.

You can use the basic recipe for any type of risotto, just swap asparagus, or peas, or bacon, or whatever you like, for the mushrooms.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I made homemade salsa tonight in the food processor because I had plum tomatoes that needed using. Love my dicing blade, it made a quart of the stuff in less than 3 minutes. Worth the cleanup.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
My go to has been tacos. Steak, chicken, ground beef, shrimp, pork, whatever meat is around...tacos. I just add kale slaw mix, cilantro, onion, cheese, pico, and call it a day.

tonight though, it looks like it’s gonna be English muffin pizzas

We got a quesadilla maker for the same reason. Great for leftovers.

My current favorite is pulled pork quesadillas dipped in guacamole.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
We got a quesadilla maker for the same reason. Great for leftovers.

My current favorite is pulled pork quesadillas dipped in guacamole.

i love messing with pulled pork dishes. I usually just take a pork tenderloin, and toss it into a crock pot with some soda for a long long time. Then shred with forks.

my favorite is nachos of course.

Reactions: sarge88

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Steel cut oats.
1 cup steel-cut oats
2 TBS Greek yogurt per portion.
8 teaspoons honey/ maple syrup/ brown sugar
1 cup fresh blueberries or other fruit
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Roasted walnuts/pine nuts or whatever nuts you like.
3-1/2 cup of water

Place the oatmeal in a preheated medium saucepan. Toast the oatmeal and a pinch of salt for 1 to 2 minutes over medium-low heat, while stirring untill you smell the nutty aroma. Add 3½ cups water to the oatmeal. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook the oatmeal for about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so, or until the oatmeal is creamy and just cooked. Season to taste with salt.

You can use fresh in season fruit. I prefer using frozen wild blueberries. Savor is much more intense than the fresh ones.
Last week the grocery store was out of blueberries and they had the last bag of cherries. It was good but the wild blueberries are the best. IMO. First thing I do is place a good amount of the frozen blueberries in the bowls so it starts defrosting. And when I pour the hot cooked oats on top if they start melting. Really good.

Pour the oats on top of fruit, spoon 1 or 2 tablespoon of Greek yogurt in the center of each serving. Drizzle 2 teaspoons of honey around the yogurt. Divide the berries among the bowls and top with the lemon zest. Mix everything in the bowl, add roasted walnuts into broken pieces on top and enjoy.
Sprinkling chopped mint will also brighten the dish.

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Puree of Root Vegetables Soup.

3 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, diced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 parsnips, peeled and sliced
1 large turnip or rutabaga, peeled and cut into chunks
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 bulb celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks
12 cups chicken or vegetable stock
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups light cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a stockpot melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, celery, carrots, and parsnips. Sauté for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the turnip, sweet potatoes, celeriac, and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the vegetables are soft and tender, about 40 minutes. I use a pressure cooker, its half the time.

Remove from heat and add the nutmeg. Puree the soup in the pot with a hand blender or working in batches in a regular blender until smooth.

Add the cream. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. If the soup seems too thick, adjust the texture with additional stock or water.

This is from one of my books, you can easily change quantities or vegetables. But do it as written at least ounce. Enjoy.

For those looking to boost the immune system.
Root vegetables keep for a long time, in a dark and cold place.
Great to store in times like these.
For the light cream i use what i have on hand. Half and half for the coffee.

Last edited:
Reactions: sooshii

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Today I got a nice 4.5lb Brisket Flat going on the old Weber Smokey Mountain. Real simple rub of mostly Kosher & Coarse Ground Black Pepper with a few other secrets mixed in. Smoking it over Mesquite chunks. The red potatoes will be going on in a couple hours. Dinner should be around 6:30-7pm. I'll post more pics as things progress.

Nothing better to ride out a Shelter in Place order than some smoked meat!!

upload_2020-3-22_10-58-4.png

upload_2020-3-22_10-58-22.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad