OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Got a Sous Vide machine two weeks ago. Makes cheap top sirloin eat like a rib eye, and sirloin strip like filet.
I got mine back when Anova had a fund me page.
I used for larger cuts. I did try it with rib eye, but grilled on coals is my way to go for steaks. I'll try it with top sirloin.
Eggs are fantastic though.

Reactions: jgatie

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Food Glorious Food

Great places to grab a bite?

Now, temporarily ...

oCE7xWH.jpg

Reactions: Gee Wally

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
If you get the higher fat mix (still not bad, I think 93/7), pour out some of the liquid before storing it in the fridge. Cold turkey fat is gross looking. But you might not be as squeemish as I am about that. Was the only step I forgot to mention.
If you grind your meat, it will last at least 4 days without the need of cooking it. That makes you think what king of ground meat they sell to us. It's simple and cost effective and you know what's in it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
For you soup lovers (like me) but perhaps dont like kale....

try Portuguese caldo verde....Kale soup.

I was raised on this stuff. Guarantee its both better the second day and will turn you on to kale.

many recipes on line. Ours kale, potatoes, chicken stock, chorizo, cubed stew beef , white beans and we usually serve over a bit of elbow macaroni.

Reactions: Strafer and LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If you get the higher fat mix (still not bad, I think 93/7), pour out some of the liquid before storing it in the fridge. Cold turkey fat is gross looking. But you might not be as squeemish as I am about that. Was the only step I forgot to mention.

lol duly noted, definitely don’t need that

Reactions: Bocephus86

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Here’s one of my favorites....

BBQ Beef Stew

1 lb Sirloin Tips cut into small pieces
(don’t use stew beef because there is no broth to tenderize it)
2 jars tomato sauce
1 bottle BBQ sauce
2 Lg. cans of corn
1 bag frozen green beans
2 cans diced tomatoes

I dredge the sirloin tips in seasoned flour (garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper) then pan fry them in olive oil.

Once cooked through, throw them in a crockpot with all the other ingredients for 4-6 hours.

Serve over rice.

Reactions: Kovi and LSCII

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yesterday I threw chicken breasts, potatoes, and a carrot into the crock pot with a roasted red pepper vinaigrette. Turned out pretty good.

Reactions: LSCII

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Ooooooohhhhhh.

Yum!

I think they're basically Canadian Mallomars. But I'm sure lovers of both Whippets and Mallomars would hate me for saying that - it's like saying Tim Horton's is Canadian Starbucks.

With grocery delivery, every week is like Christmas. You're never sure what you're gonna get! Last week, I didn't get chicken (a little surprising) or rice (well, no duh - but I at least had enough to ration). I did, however, accidentally manage to hoard milk - yes, completely by accident. Ordered 2 cartons of skim. They called asking if they could substitute, and I said sure...they substituted 3 slightly smaller bottles of lactose free milk, which is fine...but somehow, they also put in the 2 cartons of skim that I had originally ordered!

So, hopefully my supply of instant pudding comes in, because I honestly have no idea what to do with all this milk! Perhaps popovers.

I kind of miss going to the grocery store. I'm taking 15 minute walks outside to simulate grocery shopping, which reminds me....I hate walking.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For you soup lovers (like me) but perhaps dont like kale....

try Portuguese caldo verde....Kale soup.

I was raised on this stuff. Guarantee its both better the second day and will turn you on to kale.

many recipes on line. Ours kale, potatoes, chicken stock, chorizo, cubed stew beef , white beans and we usually serve over a bit of elbow macaroni.

My wife is a soup master so I'll have to let her know about this one. Makes a large pot a week and my girls love it. In fact she made a giant pot of chicken and rice yesterday. The smells were driving me crazy while I was working at the kitchen table. She's crazy because she makes it all from scratch, which I wouldn't have the patience for.

Reactions: Gee Wally

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
How's that?

It cooks in a circulating water bath set at a very precise temperature. So it can never go above the doneness you want (rare, medium-rare, etc) no matter how long it cooks. That way a not-so-tender piece of meat can get tender without over cooking it.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
It was fan-freaking-tastic! @Kovi and I do a really good job of cooking together.

Of course we are really good at ordering Chinese delivery too!
I preferred the Shepards pie ;)

Short story: We had to go back out to the store because I either left the bag with the meat in it in the cart or it was left at the bagging area. Either way, I'm grateful we had the time and means to go get more and hopefully someone who really needed steak and chopped onion picked it up and enjoyed it.
We all need a little blessing right now. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad