Foligno is first CBJ to be a Top 10 Scorer

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Nick Foligno became the first CBJ player to finish the season in the top 10 in NHL scoring. Foligno posted a career high 73 points to finish in a tie for 10th.

Teammate Ryan Johansen's 71 points placed him 16th overall in the NHL scoring race.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?sea...country=&status=&viewName=summary&sort=&ord=#

Previous best CBJ finishers in NHL scoring were Rich Nash who finished in a tie for 18th in 2008-09 and Ray Whitney who finished in a tie for 21st in 2002-03.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I bet no one saw this coming. He had a great year. I'd be happy with him at 55-60 next year.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I bet no one saw this coming. He had a great year. I'd be happy with him at 55-60 next year.

I would think some regression is in order given his PP stats. Foligno had an unreal shooting percentage of 37% on the PP and finished 4th in points per 60 minutes 5 vs. 4.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ards&minutes=100&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

The 55-60 point range you suggested would be quite acceptable.

Johansen was 11th in the league in pp points per 60 minutes so he could regress some as well in that department.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You might have been the one guy to foresee this. :laugh:

Nope. I was the guy who has been saying for years that he is one of our best players, and I wouldn't have been surprised by 40 assists. But 30 goals was out of the question.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I thought that Foligno was capable of better scoring as he seemed to generate a whole lot of opportunities but was a terrible finisher.

I never would have projected him as a top 10 scorer. Never.

Here's an interesting article about Foligno and HCTR:

What sparked my interest in writing this was a question that Aaron Portzline asked HCTR in the post-game presser Saturday night after the 5-3 win over Pittsburgh. He mentioned that Foligno had said multiple times this year that a talk Richards had with him in the off-season contributed to his success this year. So let's take a deeper look at some of Todd Richards' success stories.

Nick Foligno

Fligs was drafted 28th overall by Ottawa in 2006, so the upside potential has always been there for him. His best season prior to this year was 2011-2012 with Ottawa where he put up 15-32-47. A respectable year, but nothing to merit first line minutes, let alone an All-Star invitation. Last spring, after a loss in the playoffs, Richards spoke with Foligno about his game. HCTR had this to say about that talk: "We had no problem with Nick’s game," Richards said. "But we felt like he was selling himself short a little bit. He has all the tools to be a great player; he’s always had them. But he never saw himself in that way. We had to get it out of him." (credit: Aaron Portzline - Columbus Dispatch) After this talk, Foligno has his best season as a pro. So far he's 30-40-70 with 4 games left to go in the season.

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2015/4/5/8346709/the-case-for-hctr

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think you could make a pretty reasonable case for Johansen

He's my favorite Jacket and he had an excellent season, but I don't see how he could be given the nod over Foligno. I guess he could but you'd really have to weight shootout performance pretty heavily to give this past season's MVP to #19 over #71. Besides outscoring Johansen by 2 points despite playing 3 less games, Foligno had a +/- which was 22 better than Johansen's. I think that Johansen's defensive play was a bit lax at times. Johansen probably faced a bit better competition overall than Foligno did, but I doubt that could explain the wide gap in +/- between the two.

I guess one could also make the case the Johansen was all too often saddled with lesser linemates which impacted his final scoring totals negatively. So, perhaps a case could be made, but it would be a tough one to make, imo.

As far as who is the player who is most valuable to the CBJ long term between Johansen and Foligno, I think that it's an easy call. It's #19. But, we're damn lucky to have both.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think you could make a pretty reasonable case for Johansen

I don't think you can. The plus/minus is stark enough to tell you a few things. When Foligno and Joey play together, they outscore the other team. When they play separately, Joey's line gets outscored, and Foligno's continues to dominate. I think Joey played slightly harder competition, but not enough to explain the difference in play.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Very cool to see. This team is obviously heading in the right direction.

I hope he can keep it up next year! I am expecting a bit of regression.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Nick Foligno became the first CBJ player to finish the season in the top 10 in NHL scoring. Foligno posted a career high 73 points to finish in a tie for 10th.

Teammate Ryan Johansen's 71 points placed him 16th overall in the NHL scoring race.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?sea...country=&status=&viewName=summary&sort=&ord=#

Previous best CBJ finishers in NHL scoring were Rich Nash who finished in a tie for 18th in 2008-09 and Ray Whitney who finished in a tie for 21st in 2002-03.

U guys forgot about Rick Nash when he won Maurice trophy??? :help:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Awesome to see - also awesome to know Joey was so close.

Thing with Foligno is - he needs to do it all over again next year so all the "1 season fluke" talk dies..

KlichkoBro*

Jarmo has signed a 26 years old top-10 NHL scorer for just 5.5mil. a year. Possibly the best move he's made so far. Foligno could get much more on the open market.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Awesome to see - also awesome to know Joey was so close.

Thing with Foligno is - he needs to do it all over again next year so all the "1 season fluke" talk dies..

Some I have seen are concerned that Foligno gets named Captain, then regresses off his shooting % and PP points, and the "burden of the captaincy" gets blamed for not following up on his point production.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jarmo has signed a 26 years old top-10 NHL scorer for just 5.5mil. a year. Possibly the best move he's made so far. Foligno could get much more on the open market.

He's 27, turns 28 in October.

But yes, still a very good contract if he can produce at a 60+ point level consistently.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
He could've signed him at 4.5 in October so imagine how that would be viewed right now.

Foligno is a no-risk player. He can play any situation. Into his mid-30s he'll be a valuable middle six player.

Can't wait for him to captain the team.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I don't see any issue with the $$$ on Foligno's contract (the term on the other hand could be troublesome down the road but we'll get there later on). Much like with Dubinsky's extension, he brings so much to the table, including the intangibles that are not easy to find in many players on the open market.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Could have signed him before the season for less....probably in the $4.5 million range.

Hardly any stroke of genius by Jarmo. Everyone knew that Foligno was a vital part of the team prior to the breakout scoring this season.

EDIT: Didn't see CBJ Slash post prior to my posting. Great minds think alike. LOL

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
What i've always liked about Nick is that he's kind of a hybrid player. He's not the best dangler, but he can dangle, he's not the best checker, but he can check. He has all the tools, they might not be elite, but he has all of them.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Some I have seen are concerned that Foligno gets named Captain, then regresses off his shooting % and PP points, and the "burden of the captaincy" gets blamed for not following up on his point production.

I found this interesting.

2013-14...overall shooting 16.2% 5v5 14.6% 5v4 22.7%
2014-15...overall shooting 17.0% 5v5 14.7% 5v4 37.0%

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...aters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

While his PP shooting percentage is almost certain to fall, his 5v5 was the same as the previous year.

Perhaps he won't regress all that much. We'll see.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I found this interesting.

2013-14...overall shooting 16.2% 5v5 14.6% 5v4 22.7%
2014-15...overall shooting 17.0% 5v5 14.7% 5v4 37.0%

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...aters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

While his PP shooting percentage is almost certain to fall, his 5v5 was the same as the previous year.

Perhaps he won't regress all that much. We'll see.

Yeah, sorry...meant his PP shooting %, which was absurd this past season. Of course, he could just end up shooting more and hit a similar goal total next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad