News Article: FNC Center to be KeyBank Center

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Don't really care, but the two names I liked were Marine Midland and First Niagara. MMA beers. And having Niagara in the name was cool.

HSBC was an awful name. KeyBank is OK.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
KeyArena is just called The Key in Seattle. This one will probably get a similar treatment.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Call it whatever you want. On the basis of principle, (or principal, if you're interested in continuing the banking jokes), I will continue to refer to it as "the aud"

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Completely forgot it was called Crossroads first.

I don't think it was ever officially called Crossroads Arena. Crossroads referred to the site on which it was built and the area was referred to as the crossroads arena during its concept and build phases - probably because they had to call it something. Once Marine Midland decided to get the naming rights, it was so dubbed. IIRC

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Is Key paying for naming rights or is it just a free side affect of the merger? What is the percentage split of naming right money between the team & city anyway? I can't find any lease information about it.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Is Key paying for naming rights or is it just a free side affect of the merger? What is the percentage split of naming right money between the team & city anyway? I can't find any lease information about it.

Nothing is free (not even air these days). KBC, not to be confused with KFC, inherits all the FNBC marketing aspects, including the arena.

Personally, when this deal is up, I so hope the Pegula's just call it "The Sabres Pond".

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Would love it if the entire complex started being referred to as Harbor Center, with individual names for each individual ice rink.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
It is what it is, but with that said, First Niagara Center was the best name in recent memory. Somewhat sad to see it go. Of course, I'd still pay to watch Jack Eichel hoists the Cup even in Poopy Pants Arena.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Would require way too much money to be practical...but imagine if a fanbase crowdfunded the naming rights for an arena so it didn't have any corporate branding. Granted, then the fanbase would have to agree on a name for the building, but it would still be awesome.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Would require way too much money to be practical...but imagine if a fanbase crowdfunded the naming rights for an arena so it didn't have any corporate branding. Granted, then the fanbase would have to agree on a name for the building, but it would still be awesome.

Butthead Memorial Arena has a nice ring to it.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Well, I think we all know how the Internet poll to name the arena would go.

"Buildy McBuildingface"

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Don't really care, but the two names I liked were Marine Midland and First Niagara. MMA beers. And having Niagara in the name was cool.

HSBC was an awful name. KeyBank is OK.

I'll never forget seeing Barenaked Ladies at HSBC Arena and hearing them tell the take of a guy named "Aegis Beecee" who the arena was ostensibly named after.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I don't think it was ever officially called Crossroads Arena. Crossroads referred to the site on which it was built and the area was referred to as the crossroads arena during its concept and build phases - probably because they had to call it something. Once Marine Midland decided to get the naming rights, it was so dubbed. IIRC

I think it was finished and ready to open as Crossroads and in 1996 prior to the first game, Marine Midland bought the naming rights.

Its a 30 year lease, so just 10 more years until naming rights revert back to the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad