Prospect Info: FLYguy3911's 2020 NHL Draft Rankings - Top 102 Skaters & Others

Should I do this again next year?

• No

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It’s sincerely appreciated and I will read it all by draft time, but please don’t do this to yourself again next year unless you’re legitimately interested in all of these guys. Writing that many blurbs is a soul-sucking experience.

Please feel free to remind me of my hypocrisy when I’m bitching about having to watch the same Alabama games 11 times because they have so many prospects for yet another year.

Benjamin Baumgartner in the Top 100 means it’s a good list.
Thanks. I don't think I would have actually done it if not for the work from home situation. It was just something to fill the down time when things were slow at work (which wasn't often this last month). It's easy to just say I like Player A better than Player B or I'm comfortable ranking this area of the draft so here is my ranking of first round defensemen like I normally do each year. But when you are making a comprehensive list, you really have to challenge yourself to at least get them in the proper tier and that it makes logical sense. It was a good exercise to actually go through 500+ profiles and put thoughts on paper and step back and analyze it. I think it's good for future reference even if a bit time consuming. Not sure I'll do it again but we'll see how the year goes. :laugh:

@FLYguy3911 is this actually the goal?
Never really thought about it tbh. I mean I've thought about it but in a fantasy way and not really as a realistic goal or anything. That would obviously be pretty cool, but I don't think I have a big enough body of work or a platform for it to be realistic. I'm just a fan of the draft process in all sports and if I just max out as a couch scout, I'm OK with that.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Never really thought about it tbh. I mean I've thought about it but in a fantasy way and not really as a realistic goal or anything. That would obviously be pretty cool, but I don't think I have a big enough body of work or a platform for it to be realistic. I'm just a fan of the draft process in all sports and if I just max out as a couch scout, I'm OK with that.

There is something very valuable about keeping your passions and your profession separate. It would be perfect if you could have a profession that lets you engage your passions without killing them, or at least dampening them, but that's difficult. Once it becomes a responsibility, I think a significant portion of joy seeps out too.

Either way, you rule.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah I can relate until I had kids. Love the draft and off seasons in all sports. Good stuff, man. Let’s see how well you do next week

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
22. Ozzy Wiesblatt Forward Prince Albert (WHL)

"If you like players that skate fast and make plays at high speeds, then Ozzy is your guy.
He may have been the best rush attacker I saw all year and despite his size, he is
unafraid to attack the middle of the ice. Extremely quick feet. He gets to top speed in a
blink. A lot of guys can skate fast and skate fast with the puck, but few can make plays at
their top speed - Wiesblatt can. He is a playmaker through and through and while he
may not be a dangerous shooter, this is a skillset I would bet on. He’s going to get to
wherever he wants on the ice. At the very least, I think he’s going to be a strong
transition player. He had a point on ⅓ of Prince Albert’s goals last season and a point on
¾ of the ES goals when he was on the ice. On a team with a few legitimate prospects
and a likely first rounder, I see Wiesblatt as the best of the bunch."

Yes, please.

Any kid that can survive a winter in Prince Albert is good by me !

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Thanks. I don't think I would have actually done it if not for the work from home situation. It was just something to fill the down time when things were slow at work (which wasn't often this last month). It's easy to just say I like Player A better than Player B or I'm comfortable ranking this area of the draft so here is my ranking of first round defensemen like I normally do each year. But when you are making a comprehensive list, you really have to challenge yourself to at least get them in the proper tier and that it makes logical sense. It was a good exercise to actually go through 500+ profiles and put thoughts on paper and step back and analyze it. I think it's good for future reference even if a bit time consuming. Not sure I'll do it again but we'll see how the year goes. :laugh:

It's really fun to do this. I only did it during the 2019 draft, and I started late, like in April of 2019. My original goal was to get 10-15 profiles done. I think I ended up with 25ish profiles written. But I became familiar with about 75 prospects. My written profile was sloppy because I bit off more than I could chew. But during that time, I had a newborn at home, and wasn't doing much outside the house. I did a fair amount of my prospect watching at 1-4am when I was awake with the baby who didn't want to sleep.

I want to do it again, but I did so much so fast I burned out. Plus Prospect Shifts went down at the beginning of the year. I used that quite often. I didn't watch much of any prospects this year. Just relying on the group here to tell me who to root for.

Again, great job!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ok, that answers a question I did have about Bourque. What about Brisson? Do you think it's likely he could end up as a legit center?
I do think Brisson is a center. I think centers have to be your smartest players and they have to be able to elevate the play of their teammates. I think that's Brisson to a T. It's possible his defense and overall two-way impact never improves and he gets forced to the wing. Either way, I think you're drafting him for his offensive potential.

I have seen J Quinn higher on some lists, any reason hes lower for you ?
He's not a true sniperrrrr. I don't think his performance this year was completely sustainable and I don't think the tools add up to a high end forward. Plus Carchidi loves him. That's enough for me to be skeptical.

It's really fun to do this. I only did it during the 2019 draft, and I started late, like in April of 2019. My original goal was to get 10-15 profiles done. I think I ended up with 25ish profiles written. But I became familiar with about 75 prospects. My written profile was sloppy because I bit off more than I could chew. But during that time, I had a newborn at home, and wasn't doing much outside the house. I did a fair amount of my prospect watching at 1-4am when I was awake with the baby who didn't want to sleep.

I want to do it again, but I did so much so fast I burned out. Plus Prospect Shifts went down at the beginning of the year. I used that quite often. I didn't watch much of any prospects this year. Just relying on the group here to tell me who to root for.

Again, great job!
Thanks. Not having the u18s this year kind of blew too. That's usually one-stop shopping for draft eligibles where you can see everone on the same ice to measure up skills. And you even get to see some of the 2021 guys.

I tried to stay away from the technical breakdowns for each player as that tends to be tedious and after a while everyone starts to sound the same - 'Good hands, good shot, skating needs works, etc.' Decided to go with a little background info or some interesting stats or profile nuggets and a general opinion.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm through ~70 right now, and I will finish soon -- even if I don't know anything about these depth guys -- but great job again, @FLYguy3911 . I appreciated the conciseness (not my forte) and uniqueness to each blurb. This motivated me to at least spend the last few days watching Scouching reports, shift-by-shift videos, highlights, etc. so I can formulate some super rudimentary thoughts on guys. I'll continue to do so.

Questions! Mostly related to our 1st round pick.

1.) It's hard to find Brisson footage, but could you elaborate on what you think his realistic upside is? What are the limitations to his skillset? Why do you think consensus opinion lags on him -- is it just USHL factor?

2.) Perreault has all the skill in the world. But do you worry that he truly is as outlier bad as a 2-way player as his stats indicate? I was expecting to love the skill/hate the player, but the one game I saw it wasn't anything like that. 1 game does not negate bad ones I didn't see, but I had none of the hockey sense red flags I imagined I'd see. His effort/positioning was fine in that game. Good at times. Do you think Sarnia was a perfect storm of shit defense -- because defense can be contagious both ways?

3.) In a draft with quite a few mediocre physically tooled players, Gunler's tools pop as a versatile, rangy, possible power forward. Did you find he had hockey sense issues relating to his purported inconsistencies? (Amirov also stands out physically to me as a skater and puck handler, but he won't be there, which saddens me. He seems like he'd be one of "My Guys").

4.) Rough assessment of Bourque is he's a lesser Jarvis. He's very cleverly skilled. But how much do you worry about his pace? I don't just mean skating. Jarvis, for example, is no burner -- but he can burst quick and plays quick when the situations calls for it (he's got a little Artemi in him, but that's another story). My first impression was Bourque not only played slow (gliding through NZ, not challenging defenders, usually waiting for help, etc.), but his all-around mobility was clunky too. One is acceptable for projecting, but both is hard.

5.) Wallinder.....higher variance Broberg?

6.) Do you think Mercer has a lower ceiling than others you ranked in that range? No game footage for him, but his toolkit seems more middle 6 support piece.

7.) Which realistic targets would you groan the most at Blech Bleh taking?​

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm through ~70 right now, and I will finish soon -- even if I don't know anything about these depth guys -- but great job again, @FLYguy3911 . I appreciated the conciseness (not my forte) and uniqueness to each blurb. This motivated me to at least spend the last few days watching Scouching reports, shift-by-shift videos, highlights, etc. so I can formulate some super rudimentary thoughts on guys. I'll continue to do so.

Questions! Mostly related to our 1st round pick.

1.) It's hard to find Brisson footage, but could you elaborate on what you think his realistic upside is? What are the limitations to his skillset? Why do you think consensus opinion lags on him -- is it just USHL factor?

2.) Perreault has all the skill in the world. But do you worry that he truly is as outlier bad as a 2-way player as his stats indicate? I was expecting to love the skill/hate the player, but the one game I saw it wasn't anything like that. 1 game does not negate bad ones I didn't see, but I had none of the hockey sense red flags I imagined I'd see. His effort/positioning was fine in that game. Good at times. Do you think Sarnia was a perfect storm of shit defense -- because defense can be contagious both ways?

3.) In a draft with quite a few mediocre physically tooled players, Gunler's tools pop as a versatile, rangy, possible power forward. Did you find he had hockey sense issues relating to his purported inconsistencies? (Amirov also stands out physically to me as a skater and puck handler, but he won't be there, which saddens me. He seems like he'd be one of "My Guys").

4.) Rough assessment of Bourque is he's a lesser Jarvis. He's very cleverly skilled. But how much do you worry about his pace? I don't just mean skating. Jarvis, for example, is no burner -- but he can burst quick and plays quick when the situations calls for it (he's got a little Artemi in him, but that's another story). My first impression was Bourque not only played slow (gliding through NZ, not challenging defenders, usually waiting for help, etc.), but his all-around mobility was clunky too. One is acceptable for projecting, but both is hard.

6.) Do you think Mercer has a lower ceiling than others you ranked in that range? No game footage for him, but his toolkit seems more middle 6 support piece.

7.) Which realistic targets would you groan the most at Blech Bleh taking?​

tenor(1).gif

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I had reply for this post a while ago but lost it when I loaded a new page. Blame it on the 3 day bender.

Hopefully these aren't just regurgitated responses from the writeups.

Realistic upside? 2C / PP1. Hard to project more than that because of the lack of track record, but I wouldn't bet against a kid as smart and as skilled as he is.

Limitations? Foot speed is average and I don't think the stride is overly athletic looking. Stride seems a bit short, but he plays fast through puck distribution. I don't see him being a high volume carry-in attacker, but he should be able to get his teammates easy entries. His play away from the puck in the DZ can be poked at as well.

Yeah I think the USHL factor is at play. He had no hype coming into the year. It's rare for a non-USNTDP USHL guy to be a top 20 consensus player. I think back to Kyle Connor who had three great years, u18s, and Hlinka and still went 17th. Granted that was a great draft, but he should have went sooner. Brisson also played for a great team and didn't standout that much statistically from his peers. From a scouting perspective I don't think it's close, but some do.

They still have USA WJAC games up if you wanted to take a peak (warning: very Junior Hockey-ish commentary).
https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/n...-junior-a/2019/stats/schedule?tournament=true

His play away from the puck ran hot and cold when I saw him. Some of that may have been confirmation bias as I also expected not to like him, but he's so damn good with the puck, both in the OZ and in transition as a puck carrier, that I don't think it will matter. And yes I don't think the Sarnia lack of structure helped (shoutout Derian Hatcher).

I'm usually leery of guys that have more goals than assists, but he's an excellent playmaker. I saw a game where he had 3 passes from the goal line to the slot. That's not normal. The shot is his calling card, but he can set up grade A chances for linemates as well.

Admittedly I haven't seen enough of Gunler but Eliteprospects had an article up the other day highlighting his strengths and weaknesses. They gave him one of the higher hockey sense marks in the draft, but pointed out his game-to-game inconsistencies boiling it down to three issues- skating (lack of separating gear), puck fumbles (needs a touch before shooting allowing goalies to recover), and unwillingness to engage physically (poor body positioning when contact is initiated). The shot is obvious though. That is an easy, powerful release.

Yeah Amirov is really good. I flipped him and Perreault at the last minute because I think Perreault has more scoring upside and I think the CHL to NHL transition is easier to project, but it's hard not to see Amirov becoming a good two-way winger.

It's a concern for sure but I tend to bet on smart/skill figuring out their skating issues than fast players figuring out their skill/hockey sense issues. I do have a couple theories though. 1) His usage was extreme for a forward so I think there was some corner cutting and 2) his best quality is his ability to draw in defenders toward him, opening up space for his teammates, before dishing so I think naturally playing slow is the easiest way to invite pressure. That doesn't explain everything but I do have some optimism it can improve at an appropriate level relative to his peers. His skating did standout in short spurts at the Hlinka when he was playing a limited role in a faster paced environment. There is some projection but I think he'll get to an acceptable level. I'm hoping I can catch his games from the weekend to see if any progress was made over the last 6 months.

I had Bourque around 20 for much of the year due to the concerns you laid out, but I kept sliding him up that tier due to what I perceived his floor to be. I think he's one of the safest players in the draft. An offensive leaning center with high end smarts and playmaking and he added the shot element this season. Some of the public projection models love him too. One such model gave him the 4th best odds of becoming a full-time NHLer behind Lafreniere, Holtz, and Raymond. Obviously my placement has a bit of an analytical slant.

Plus he looks like Carter Hart.
upload_2020-10-4_17-12-43.png

Yeah in that mold. Jurmo too. The physical tools don't quite add up to the on-ice production, but he's quite talented. I found he didn't quite have the best feel for the ice at times and that kind of left me wanting more, but he did show it in spurts. I'm not 100% convinced he's a first round talent, but he is young, talented, and he seemed to hold his own against men.

I agree. That's my hunch. The dip in production after the trade was concerning and I hate when you have questions like that about 3rd year junior players. He has great hands, and scoring touch, and he's a pretty underrated playmaker, but the skating probably limits his impact. I think he has really good complimentary skills, but I'm not sure he's the type that can drive a line.

7.) Which realistic targets would you groan the most at Blech Bleh taking?
Why do I have a feeling I am going to bump this some day? :laugh:

I think someone asked this the other day in another thread and my first reaction was Holloway. Solid, meat and potatoes, straight-line guy. Pretty good at everything. Great at nothing. He's fine, but doesn't really add another dynamic to the present-day roster.

Zary - Just not a big fan. Good shot, but lacks skating and high end playmaking skills.
Foerster - Big shot, but not a great skater and I'm not entirely convinced the scoring translates.
Neighbours - I'm not sure he's getting first round buzz, but I imagine he goes in the top 40 and I don't want him in any round.
Greig - I don't see high-end skill.
Evangelista - More of the same.

Probably any defensemen but particularly these:
Guhle - Good defender, great skater, but you just can't take another LHD early unless they have impact skills or the versatility to play the right side.
Schneider - Nope.
O'Rourke - I don't see it.
Barron - So many red flags.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Why do I have a feeling I am going to bump this some day? :laugh:

I think someone asked this the other day in another thread and my first reaction was Holloway. Solid, meat and potatoes, straight-line guy. Pretty good at everything. Great at nothing. He's fine, but doesn't really add another dynamic to the present-day roster.

Zary - Just not a big fan. Good shot, but lacks skating and high end playmaking skills.
Foerster - Big shot, but not a great skater and I'm not entirely convinced the scoring translates.
Neighbours - I'm not sure he's getting first round buzz, but I imagine he goes in the top 40 and I don't want him in any round.
Greig - I don't see high-end skill.
Evangelista - More of the same.

Probably any defensemen but particularly these:
Guhle - Good defender, great skater, but you just can't take another LHD early unless they have impact skills or the versatility to play the right side.
Schneider - Nope.
O'Rourke - I don't see it.
Barron - So many red flags.

giphy.gif

Agree with this list 100%! Do not want any of them in the 1st and doubt any would be the BPA in the 2nd.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Tourigny may not meet the height requirement of an NHL defenseman and his gaps are quite loose but he’s a RH shot with good skating and skill who has a chance to lead Q defensemen in scoring some day.

Too soon for a victory lap? :sarcasm:

Leads the Q in goals and points through two. The entire league not just defensemen.

upload_2020-10-4_19-49-18.png

That's the #1 team in the CHL. Gaps look tighter.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Too soon for a victory lap? :sarcasm:

Leads the Q in goals and points through two. The entire league not just defensemen.

View attachment 370221

That's the #1 team in the CHL. Gaps look tighter.

Are you calling the Armada the top team going into this season? Would be cool; they are my local team.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
@FLYguy3911 Really well done write ups, and I really like your explanations of your philosophies.
We are both bold on Perreault. He is a terrific talent.
I have Tullio lower than you because his skating concerns me a little, otherwise he is a strong player whom I like. Poirier bothers me some, kind of like Anthony DeAngelo did, but he turned out Ok. But I kept moving Poirier down until he was moved off my list. I could be way wrong on him, and late in the draft I could take a flyer on him but he will probably go by the end of the second.
I know this is your personal rating list, and not a mock, but if the draft fell like this and Quinn is there at 23, I would be thrilled to get him. He'll be gone long before that
Thanks for doing this!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad